View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

I'm not sure the MCU x-men need much Magneto or Xavier after Fox focused so much on them.
    Disney should ditch them and give other characters the spotlight

I stopped reading at “according to Full Circle Cinema.” Kevin Feige didn’t say that $#!t. Ha.

This is dumb and would prove that they care more about pandering than adapting the source material. Neither Xavier nor Magneto should be changed or any character for that matter. If you desperately want non-white characters for the movies to be centered around, nobody would object to using the many characters that have always been non-white. So long as it’s a good character, it won’t matter. If they want to make the lead character Storm or Jubilee, then go for it. Also it really is weird that Ashkenazi Jews are being sort of having their historic plights being ignored in the modern era despite record antisemitic attacks occurring all over the world to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Whoopi Goldberg is jewish.
    This has to be a joke.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    I'm not sure the MCU x-men need much Magneto or Xavier after Fox focused so much on them.
    Disney should ditch them and give other characters the spotlight
    Between Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian MacKellan, James McAvoy, and Michael Fassbender, there is a zero percent chance they will not have Charles and Mags be the main characters again even in the MCU. For movie goers who don't read the comics, they ARE the X-Men, along with Wolverine and Mystique. And I got a little bit ill writing that.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is dumb and would prove that they care more about pandering than adapting the source material. Neither Xavier nor Magneto should be changed or any character for that matter. If you desperately want non-white characters for the movies to be centered around, nobody would object to using the many characters that have always been non-white. So long as it’s a good character, it won’t matter. If they want to make the lead character Storm or Jubilee, then go for it. Also it really is weird that Ashkenazi Jews are being sort of having their historic plights being ignored in the modern era despite record antisemitic attacks occurring all over the world to them.

This has to be a joke.
    I would hope so. Goldberg's religion changes based on the interview, especially her contradiction of being "Jewish-Catholic" and "Not believing in manmade religions".
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I stopped reading at “according to Full Circle Cinema.” Kevin Feige didn’t say that $#!t. Ha.
    oh more than likely, but it's a fun speculation exercise. I mean, race bending is not out of the realm of possibility for Marvel/Disney and they have two major reasons to do it. One being the mutant metaphor could be easier to sell to mainstream audience with a POC character than a white one and two, it's different enough from Fox's versions they can use the characters without it feeling like they're rethreating waters.

Will it happen? Probably not. But let's get the debates out of the way now.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Let's keep things in perspective. Some website (I've never heard of) claims they learned something (straight from Feige?) and we are just taking that as gospel? Let's just give them some benefit of the doubt and that they heard something from someone and aren't just making it up. Here is a scenario, someone says and someone hears that Feige wants to cast black leads, as the leaders of each side. That passes around, at some point someone shortcuts it to Xavier and Magneto, because those are the leaders of the good guys and bad guys, and then it becomes that. It isn't like the MCU has really ever tried to adapt any actual stories or crap.

So, what I would like to explore is: if you were to introduce the X-Men into the MCU with the intent of casting POC as the main protagonist and antagonist, which characters (that fit that criteria) do you use?
    It would be similar to how First class did it. Open up the grab bag and find a bunch of analogs. A YouTuber named Patrick (H) Willem talked about a potential X-men pitch and the guy he was doing the video with talked about the X-men group members leaning towards certain archetypes so there are other options.

Or just use Gen X as the starters- with or with Banshee and Emma.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-13-2019 at 05:05 PM.

When I here Mag and Prof being Black, all I hear is Storm is getting the Shaft again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    That guy who shills for Kevin Feige all the time also said it’s true though.

https://twitter.com/manabyte/status/1172265626490068992

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Between Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian MacKellan, James McAvoy, and Michael Fassbender, there is a zero percent chance they will not have Charles and Mags be the main characters again even in the MCU. For movie goers who don't read the comics, they ARE the X-Men, along with Wolverine and Mystique. And I got a little bit ill writing that.
    I just hope whoever they cast for these characters don't end up playing the role with a British accent.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I just hope whoever they cast for these characters don't end up playing the role with a British accent.
    That has always been a weird thing and I also hope Black Knight doesn’t have a British accent and Blade does. Be as true to the source material as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    That has always been a weird thing and I also hope Black Knight doesn’t have a British accent and Blade does. Be as true to the source material as possible.
    The thing that made it weird for me was that they didn't bother explaining it. Honestly, if they had retconned Professor X as being British, I'd have been fine with it. But they didn't. He was just an inexplicably British-accented American. Magneto never seems to have any connection to the British Isles either.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It would be similar to how First class did it. Open up the grab bag and find a bunch of analogs. A YouTuber named Patrick (H) Willem talked about a potential X-men pitch and the guy he was doing the video with talked about the X-men group members leaning towards certain archetypes so there are other options.
    PHW and Connor Goldsmith's conversation is EXACTLY where I started when I imagine what a successful X-Men movie might be.

1. Central POV Character. Jubilee.
    2. Soap Opera. LOTS of interpersonal conflicts. Ororo v Kurt, Ororo v Emma, Jubilee v Ororo, to start.
    3. Go big, go crazy. Outback, Madripoor, Krakoa, 50 foot tall Sentinels, Acolytes on the run, car chase in Madripoor.
    4. Updated Mutant Culture. Mutant names, training teams, telepathic hierarchy, alternative formal education.
    5. Updated Mutant Aesthetic. Punk haircuts, private school blazers, teachers' wardrobe, covert & overt spandex
    6. New roster. Storm leads Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine. Emma & Hank support. Jubilee, Prodigy, Dust, Cuckoos are some students.

I've read articles on the internet over the years talking about whether or not Magneto and/or Xavier should be black since X-Men was supposed to be an allegory for racism and discrimination, and everyone always talks about them being inspired by Dr. King and Malcolm X, so it isn't as if this discussion hasn't taken place before. It just seems that the people with the actual power to do it are considering it, and that it might become a reality.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I don't have a problem with changing Magneto's skin color but I would prefer if it doesn't change. He is very iconic as he is

I would vote to change many other characters, like Cyclops or Jean or someone else.
    Jean Grey as a green eyed, red haired Black girl? Wtf