Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason

Default Jason

Would you accept him as a villain? He's gone back and forth twice, what if it sticks and he becomes Wonder Woman's Loki? He has sufficient power and motivation. He's slept with Grail and allied himself with her. Even most recently he's been tempted by the Dark Fates.

Is there anyone more hated by Wonder Woman fandom?

If he has to appear occasionally, wouldn't it be better if we loved to hate him?

Only if they retcon him being Diana's twin. Otherwise I'd prefer him to be forgotten like a bad dream.

Jason as a villain to me would get the same reaction I notice Rogol Zaar gets from Superman fans, "go away, please".

He has no point. I don't care for him but I don't want him as a villain. That would just feel petty.

Jason is best left forgotten and he could have been. At the end of Darkseid War, Jason's reveal could have been nothing more than the ravings of a dying mad woman, but no, Geoff Johns wanted Diana to have a brother and put James Robinson in charge of it.

I don't want to see him again; villain or hero, straight or gay, brother or not. He represents an idea at DC that I can't get behind, that taking away the women influences and aspects of her origin and placing men in their stead will drive up sales or have better products. At BEST he can be from a parallel earth in which he is "wonder man" or whatever and only appears at multiversal events, so 99% of the time he is away and not in the Wonder Woman books.

If we desperately need male rep in WW, lets use the characters fans like that have history in the mythos: Ferdinand, Achilles and his boyfriend Patroclus, Steve, Tom, General Claw, Bobby, Peter Gaibaldi and his sons Martin and Billy, some of the guys in Steve's team, Perseus, Hephaestus, Apollo, Hermes, Eros, and those are just off the top of my head.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Jason as a villain to me would get the same reaction I notice Rogol Zaar gets from Superman fans, "go away, please".
    As we marks, or rather smarks, of Pro Wrestling are fond of saying - "they've (Jason & Zaar) got the X-Pac (or go away) heat.".
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I disagree, he has the personality and perfect villain pedigree from a soap opera perspective. The abandoned outcast jealous of their more successful sibling is a standard trope of the genre. And all comics are are drawn soap operas with more violence. Reveal an alternate timeline connection so he's not her real twin, make him Blond Hippolyta's son from the New 52 tribe or Dimension Chi. I see him as Wonder Woman's answer to Donna Troy's Lord Chaos.

WW V Lord_Chaos_01.jpg

He's atrocious let him commit a few atrocities.

Nah. Utilizing as such even in temporary fashion didn't appeal to me when Robinson did it. Doing it full-time wouldn't either. Only appeal I had of a long-lost blood family member was one who was actually an ally. If they've changed their minds on that, best just to not use him anymore/erase him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I disagree, he has the personality and perfect villain pedigree from a soap opera perspective. The abandoned outcast jealous of their more successful sibling is a standard trope of the genre. And all comics are are drawn soap operas with more violence. Reveal an alternate timeline connection so he's not her real twin, make him Blond Hippolyta's son from the New 52 tribe or Dimension Chi. I see him as Wonder Woman's answer to Donna Troy's Lord Chaos.

WW V Lord_Chaos_01.jpg

He's atrocious let him commit a few atrocities.
    Perhaps we should advocate for smart storytelling and moving this book forward instead of soap opera tropes which at this point seem more like parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Perhaps we should advocate for smart storytelling and moving this book forward instead of soap opera tropes which at this point seem more like parody.
    Soaps and comics are very much alike, down to artificially aging children so they can appear in story lines sooner.

Soaps and comics are very much alike, down to artificially aging children so they can appear in story lines sooner.
    Yeah and being like soap operas hasn't helped comics any, least of all Wonder Woman. Nothing good will come of this. We already have proof of that with the New 52 run.

Just forget Jason and move on.

Edited post.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah and being like soap operas hasn't helped comics any, least of all Wonder Woman. Nothing good will come of this. We already have proof of that with the New 52 run.

Just forget Jason and move on.
    Yes it has, that's why we're here now.

Not all soap operas are alike. The trouble is rather that superhero comics has borrowed from the cheapest and least interesting storytelling tropes for too long, and has been in a feedback loop where the lead writers have primarily grown up on superhero comics and similar narratives, and the distribution system has fostered a monoculture of readers and narratives.

Because there are successful and well-crafted soap operas, or soap opera-like shows and stories, that superhero comics would do well to learn from.

A character like Jason comes from an inability to write and understand real drama, an inability to write female characters, and an unspoken desire to ruin the female power fantasy that lies at the core of Wonder Woman and the Amazons.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yes it has, that's why we're here now.
    And what is here exactly? Decades of broken continuity, poorly thought out reboots, developments being frequently rolled back and discarded, unstable supporting casts and inconsistent characterization. Yeah, soap opera writing has done wonder for Diana.