Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I don't get why they always want to focus on darkness! Always wanting to make a character dark!! Is reading about human suffering, turning the hero into a killer an animal, that appealing? From the preview it look like they watered her powers down a lot!! Not interested in seeing her like that!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 09-15-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Anything of his you can recommend?

For what it's worth, my experience as a long-time reader is that showing the pointlessness of violence and revenge by showing more violence is a really hard trick to do. If that is supposed the theme, basing it on having a more violent Wonder Woman in the first place seems like a straight road to thematic failure and misrepresentation of Diana.
    Extremity is definitely a work by him that hits those beats. It's an Image book, two trades.

The other work of his that I've read is Murder Falcon, also Image, it's a bit more ridiculous:

The world is under attack by hideous monsters, and Jake’s life is falling apart—until he meets Murder Falcon. He was sent from The Heavy to destroy all evil, but he can’t do it without Jake shredding up a storm. Now, with every chord Jake plays on his guitar, the power of metal fuels Murder Falcon into all-out kung fu fury on those that seek to conquer Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    How many of these Wonder Woman graphic novels are coming out? It feels like a lot.
    Three is a lot?

I just hope the announcement of this book doesn't mean that Historia and Diana's Daughter have been cancelled. Especially since the latter has a similar premise to this new book.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Three is a lot?

I just hope the announcement of this book doesn't mean that Historia and Diana's Daughter have been cancelled. Especially since the latter has a similar premise to this new book.
    Is it just three though? We got Earth 1 Vol 3 coming out and wasn't there like a Nubia book too? Recently we've had True Amazon and Earth 1 Vol 1 and 2 as well. Its just a lot to keep track of.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Is it just three though? We got Earth 1 Vol 3 coming out and wasn't there like a Nubia book too? Recently we've had True Amazon and Earth 1 Vol 1 and 2 as well. Its just a lot to keep track of.
    That's not really a lot. You want a lot to try and keep track of, check out what all is on the Bat side.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Three is a lot?

I don't think Historia is, Jimenez is just really slow in drawing it.

But I too am worried about Diana's Daughter. I wanted a Rucka written Lyta Trevor dammit!

For a member of the Trinity that's a pretty low number. She's got a LOT of catching up to do with the other two, so flooding the market with more Wonder Woman can only be a good thing. It's refreshing that we're getting all these takes even though some don't always land with everyone. Having Earth One and Historia is great!

Still sucks that Superman keeps getting stuck with past his prime Miller though...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's not really a lot. You want a lot to try and keep track of, check out what all is on the Bat side.
    Do people even like those Batman books though? I know they seem to produce a new Batman graphic novel every 6 months because I see the ads in my WW comics so they must sell, but are any of these stories iconic, or even slightly memorable?

I'm not against these books, this one actually looks to be the most interesting in fact, but are there actually 5 WW graphic novels (or elseworld tales, Dead Earth is actually a miniseries) coming out?

> Historia by Kelly Sue DeConnick
    > Diana's Daughter by Greg Rucka
    > Dead Earth by Daniel Warren Johnson
    > Wonder Woman Earth 1 Vol 3 by Grant Morrison
    > Nubia (This was announced right? I didn't imagine this??)

Do people even like those Batman books though?
    This has nothing to do with what you were asking.

I'm not against these books, this one actually looks to be the most interesting in fact, but are there actually 5 WW graphic novels (or elseworld tales, Dead Earth is actually a miniseries) coming out?

Having done my research it seems these all have been announced. Though the Nubia one is a Young Adult novel not a graphic novel. Also, tellingly only three of these actually star Diana. Diana's Daughter isn't about Diana.

Still, this is pretty low for a Trinity member.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-17-2019 at 07:06 AM.

She’s got a movie coming. DC wants to build up a larger library of stand alone stories for Diana like Supes and Bats have. Books you can give to someone without having to worry about continuity crap which is something even Rucka’s recent Rebirth run has to deal with. This is only a good thing imo, at least now DC is actually making a serious effort to start pushing her.

Incredible Member

I quite like the art in the preview, especially the underground page that is presumably a young Diana & Hippolyte. The scale of the room, the mural beneath the cool set of columns, the tenderness in that 3rd inset panel - that's good stuff.

The premise doesn't automatically draw me in, but I don't think that Diana having to be a bit more brutal to survive in a much more brutal world necessarily means that she's going to be lopping off legs and heads at every turn for giggles.

Do people even like those Batman books though? I know they seem to produce a new Batman graphic novel every 6 months because I see the ads in my WW comics so they must sell, but are any of these stories iconic, or even slightly memorable?
    Yes and no. Like everything else, quality varies. Some are forgettable, but some are fan favorites. Most people seem to consider Batman: The White Knight a new classic, and everyone loves the crossovers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. On the other hand Batman Damned only became notable for Batpenis debacle. And since you can never tell what'll hit and what'll miss ahead of time, they do a lot. So yes, people like those books, and no, people don't like those books - it all depends on how good those books wind up being. But some do turn out to be very good, and even the crap ones sell, so they keep trying.

Math checks out. Not counting the kids/YA stuff though, I know they're making a GN version of that one YA novel, Warbringer or something like that for example. Might be more there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yes and no. Like everything else, quality varies. Some are forgettable, but some are fan favorites. Most people seem to consider Batman: The White Knight a new classic, and everyone loves the crossovers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. On the other hand Batman Damned only became notable for Batpenis debacle. And since you can never tell what'll hit and what'll miss ahead of time, they do a lot. So yes, people like those books, and no, people don't like those books - it all depends on how good those books wind up being. But some do turn out to be very good, and even the crap ones sell, so they keep trying.
    Oh, okay, I genuinely don't know how these books are received.

Math checks out. Not counting the kids/YA stuff though, I know they're making a GN version of that one YA novel, Warbringer or something like that for example. Might be more there.
    I forgot about that YA novel...and they are going to make a GN version of it? It must have sold well I guess. I just hope this material is staggered out over a couple of years. True Amazon probably didn't reach a broad audience because it came out during a period around Morrison's Earth 1 and Rebirth.

Oh, okay, I genuinely don't know how these books are received.
    Surprised, seems like last year you couldn't avoid hearing about how well received White Knight was, and the Batman/TMNT ones have done so well it spawned an animated movie. But it really isn't a question of how "these" books are received - they're not received as a group, but on a book by book basis individually.

I forgot about that YA novel...and they are going to make a GN version of it? It must have sold well I guess. I just hope this material is staggered out over a couple of years. True Amazon probably didn't reach a broad audience because it came out during a period around Morrison's Earth 1 and Rebirth.
    Yep, they're making a GN out of it alright. I think I'll check it out, since I rarely have the patience to read a real novel these days. They're also doing one for the Batman title for sure, I *think* they're doing the Catwoman one too but don't quote me on that, and I don't *think* they've announced a GN for the Superman title, but at this rate I'd be surprised if they didn't.

True Amazon had great art, and my favorite version of the clay birth ever, but wow did it kind of turn out all not so good feeling...

Extraordinary Member

Off Panel #230: Hope is Not a Strategy with Daniel Warren Johnson

Roughly hour and a half audio interview with Johnson, I haven't listened yet but description is below:

In this week’s episode of Off Panel, cartoonist Daniel Warren Johnson joins the podcast to talk about his art and Wonder Woman: Dead Earth. Johnson discusses how his career has changed since Extremity, the elevating nature of telling your own stories, how life drives adaptation, Wonder Woman: Dead Earth as a palate cleanser, why Dead Earth was the right next step, finding a new angle for the character, introducing fallibility, the idea of hope, developing the look of the book, working off the Black Label setup, the pressure of commissions, Old Man Skywalker, and more.