Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

It could be a great character exploration but well... not very interested. It seems like we get more elseworlds Wonder Woman than stories that resembles the main version of the character so I'm a bit tired.

Looking forward to this. I enjoy post-apocalypse a lot and getting Diana in such a setting is nice. The art style seems to fit.

This could be Wonder Woman's DKR.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Unexpected, but looks kind of interesting. Not wild that she has a batman utility belt though.

Where the hell are Rucka's book and Historia?
    Yeah, those are the ones I'm interested in. I don't even know who Daniel Warren Johnson is.

Wonder Woman needs a DKR. This is an opportunity to define the character ..or aspects of her.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Wonder Woman needs a DKR. This is an opportunity to define the character ..or aspects of her.
    Doubt it - joke as he may be now, 80's Frank Miller was top of his game and already had some well regarded comics to his name like his Daredevil run. Most people have never heard of the writer for this. Doesn't mean it can't be good or great, but we should keep expectations in line and not expect a DKR level classic from a relative newbie/nobody.

How many of these Wonder Woman graphic novels are coming out? It feels like a lot.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    How many of these Wonder Woman graphic novels are coming out? It feels like a lot.
    For me there can't be enough, I want every opportunity for Wonder Woman to shine. This may not be the it, but the next could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    DWJ is a hell of a writer and if his Wonder Woman is anything like Extremity, it'll be about the pointlessness of violence and revenge.
    Anything of his you can recommend?

For what it's worth, my experience as a long-time reader is that showing the pointlessness of violence and revenge by showing more violence is a really hard trick to do. If that is supposed the theme, basing it on having a more violent Wonder Woman in the first place seems like a straight road to thematic failure and misrepresentation of Diana.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

So where is it stated Diana is going to be more violent than usual? All I saw in that article was that she'd have to be a bit more pragmatic and less graceful in her fighting because of her altered power set.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So where is it stated Diana is going to be more violent than usual? All I saw in that article was that she'd have to be a bit more pragmatic and less graceful in her fighting because of her altered power set.
    People assume that means "brutish" as opposed to maybe just using more of a brawler style.

The greatest WW stories seem to be told outside of her comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The greatest WW stories seem to be told outside of her comic.
    Which ones do you think those are? If you don't mind my asking. Only one really leaps out at me, being Legend of WW.

I think, much like it already is for Superman, the potential is there for the best WW stories to be told outside the confines and restrictions of current continuity. But unlike Superman I don't think there's many existing examples. Just potential.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana has as well, her powers altered by her time sleeping, leading to her taking a more...rough and tumble approach befitting a post-apocalyptic earth. “Because her changed powers are limiting her ability, it allows for more of a down and dirty feel,” Warren Johnson continued. “In the first issue, she has a bar fight—she kicks a table into a bunch of warlords. I’m really excited about that concept of this very elegant figure getting down in the dirt. Getting to draw that is really fun, and it’s a way to reexamine the character.
    Basically, all the ways that Warren Johnson talks what he is doing concretely about this is about "worst part of ourselves", or "rough and tumble", or "down and dirty feel". And going that direction all the way with Diana feels like a dozen step backwards.

The scene with her kicking a table into a bunch of opponents is lifted right from the movie, and that arguably did put Diana into humanity at its worst. But at the same time it showed a Diana who chafed against that, who believed in humanity, and showed some of humanity's best qualities as well.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])