Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

WW needs a Dark Knight Returns. Maybe, this is it.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I don't get why they always want to focus on darkness! Always wanting to make a character dark!! Is reading about human suffering, turning the hero into a killer an animal, that appealing? From the preview it look like they watered her powers down a lot!! Not interested in seeing her like that!!
    Someone at DC apparently thinks that comics readers have a limitless appetite for bleakness and cynicism. I do not.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I'm not sure what it says about DC that they gave one of their top properties to a white dude who hardly had read Wonder Woman before, as per the reddit AMA…

I'll try to give it a fair read, but Johnson starts in a hole of bad expectations.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I don't get why they always want to focus on darkness! Always wanting to make a character dark!! Is reading about human suffering, turning the hero into a killer an animal, that appealing? From the preview it look like they watered her powers down a lot!! Not interested in seeing her like that!!
    Dan Didio. It's all the guy cares about.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This was wonderful. Like, I had my doubts going in, but... this was stunning. For someone who apparently barely knows Diana the writer gets her voice perfectly.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Yup. And, it's awesome that her main weapon is LOVE in this. This isn't a dark and gritty take on Diana, this is Diana being a bright light of hope and love in a dark world.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not sure what it says about DC that they gave one of their top properties to a white dude who hardly had read Wonder Woman before, as per the reddit AMA…

I'll try to give it a fair read, but Johnson starts in a hole of bad expectations.
    I mean he’s hardly “just” a white dude, he’s done some great indie work, and the string of women they’ve put on the book haven’t really impressed either. I get the desire to see more PoC and women have a try at WW, but the last few years have shown merely being a woman or a PoC doesn’t guarantee you’ll do a good job on WW.

Having read the first issue, I will say that this barely feels like a Wonder Woman story at all.

Sure, we get a short synopsis of her origin story, and the claim that she loves humanity, but Wonder Woman's character doesn't inform the story at all. Diana could have been exchanged for Superman or Marvel's Thor without it having any real impact of the plot or how her actions are perceived by the reader. Sure, we get a lot of her catchphrases (especially from the movie), but they feel devoid of meaning.

The world-building also makes little sense as a huge city in a wasteland. Where are the women or the children or the elderly? How come it has the space and resources for huge gladiatorial games?

The art is atmospheric and serves to set the mood well. But I think it fails to set up Diana as a contrast of hope to the bleak setting. Now, this might be a conscious choice, but I think it's a poor one for a hero like Wonder Woman. Another problem is that the narration is choppy and disjoint, like in the sequence just after they emerge from Diana's "cave".
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Holy frig this was rad! Everything about this was balls to the wall awesome!
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Extraordinary Member

I enjoyed the first issue quite a bit, still have a few quibbles but overall I think this was one of the better first issues to kick off a run we've gotten in the past few years. When the project was first announced I wasn't too worried about Johnson's unfamiliarity with the character since the past stories I've read by him were all centered thematically around hope and I thought that would translate nicely. After listening to the off panel interview with him though I was a bit nervous, because some of the things he was saying were the types things you hear before we get some ham-fisted warrior woman type take, glad that we're not getting that kind of story.

That was AWESOME, the best Wonder Woman story I've read in a long time! The art took some getting used to but once I did I really liked it, take my money and give me more!