Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This looks promising, I'm not entirely on board as you lot are, but its certainly the best Wonder Woman comic currently in print. My major criticism so far is that Wonder Woman doesn't look like an adult, she looks more like a teenager and kind of acts like one too. Maybe I missed a plot point, but she is supposed to be an adult, right?

I generally hate dystopian media, with the one exception being Fallout and Mad Max, which are more post-Dystopian so I am eager to read more.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

While there are some dystopian tendencies in this, it's much more a post-apocalyptic setting (which incidentally is also the case for all the Mad Max movies but the first one, which is set during the apocalypse).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

I loved this first issue, and I was surprised by how much I did. Not just the art - I was expecting to love that from the previews - but Diana's voice, her actions, that she inspires others. There is a world in which the city & its characters/cultures could be more fleshed out, but this is only four issues following Diana's journey through the changed planet, and so I'm not too fussed about that.

I'm really forward to the next issue. Heck, I'm even looking forward to re-reading this issue.

Loved the first issue. He has a really good handle on Diana’s voice and her love of humanity is a key part of her characterization.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This looks promising, I'm not entirely on board as you lot are, but its certainly the best Wonder Woman comic currently in print. My major criticism so far is that Wonder Woman doesn't look like an adult, she looks more like a teenager and kind of acts like one too. Maybe I missed a plot point, but she is supposed to be an adult, right?
    Johnson did say that some of his inspiration for this book stems from him being a new parent and his fears around sending his kid out into the world so he might be letting some of that leak into her characterization.
    Last edited by Hypo; 01-04-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Waking up in this post-apocalyptic dystopia is the ultimate trip to a lost empire, very much in the Marstonian tradition.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Johnson did say that some of his inspiration for this book stems from him being a new parent and his fears around sending his kid out into the world so he might be letting some of that leak into her characterization.
    That's interesting. It does feel like this work is a coming of age story.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She’s got a movie coming. DC wants to build up a larger library of stand alone stories for Diana like Supes and Bats have. Books you can give to someone without having to worry about continuity crap which is something even Rucka’s recent Rebirth run has to deal with. This is only a good thing imo, at least now DC is actually making a serious effort to start pushing her.
    I think DC is trying to publish a DKR or ASS for the Wonder canon. There really is no definitive WW story that we can hang our hats on...a go-to story. George Perez and Brian Azzarello tried, ..but fell short, I think.

And yes...build up for the movie.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-06-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There really is no definitive WW story that we can hang our hats on...a go-to story. .
    I'm cynical we'll ever get one and I think the blame lays largely on the fanbase (though I hold that perspective lightly, I am very aware this is subjective). Because WW fans are too protective of Diana, it's unlikely a consensus iconic story will ever emerge. Fans are too squeamish at the idea of a dirtied up Diana. Myths emerge from the muck as much as they descend from heaven. You need both.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I didn't see that cover! So rad.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This was so, so good. Such a strong vision with a fully formed aesthetic (honestly the most important thing in comics). Wonder Woman came off perfectly. Loved the flashbacks and the tiny bit about Steve.

I didn't even know it was coming out so it was a total surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I'm cynical we'll ever get one and I think the blame lays largely on the fanbase (though I hold that perspective lightly, I am very aware this is subjective). Because WW fans are too protective of Diana, it's unlikely a consensus iconic story will ever emerge. Fans are too squeamish at the idea of a dirtied up Diana. Myths emerge from the muck as much as they descend from heaven. You need both.
    DC has been doing whatever they want with WW for decades regardless of what fans think. The WW fanbase isn't anymore difficult to deal with than any other. Hell, if DC was so scared of the fans why would they put a story like this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC has been doing whatever they want with WW for decades regardless of what fans think. The WW fanbase isn't anymore difficult to deal with than any other. Hell, if DC was so scared of the fans why would they put a story like this out?
    Sorry, I didn't make my point very clearly. You're right. DC may not be afraid of the fans. What I'm trying to say is that I very much doubt a universally loved WW story will ever happen because the fanbase is divided. There is contingent of the fanbase averse to the character getting treated in a less than highly reverent manner. I think that's an obstacle to WW getting to the next level.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Sorry, I didn't make my point very clearly. You're right. DC may not be afraid of the fans. What I'm trying to say is that I very much doubt a universally loved WW story will ever happen because the fanbase is divided. There is contingent of the fanbase averse to the character getting treated in a less than highly reverent manner. I think that's an obstacle to WW getting to the next level.
    A fanbase alone is not going to make an iconic WW story. There are plenty of Batman fans who hate the Dark Knight for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A fanbase alone is not going to make an iconic WW story. There are plenty of Batman fans who hate the Dark Knight for instance.
    But the fans in general needed to get behind TDK for it to build hype. I just don't see that happening for WW.