Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    But the fans in general needed to get behind TDK for it to build hype. I just don't see that happening for WW.
    Fans in general have been getting behind a lot of stories for WW. The Hiketeia, Golden Perfect, League of One, Perez, Rucka (twice). You'll see support for these stories when they're discussed. Let's not forget DC's well known inability to build up on any good will the title develops or their inconsistency. The numerous reboots and retcons are as much of a hindrance to an iconic story as anything.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-11-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Fans in general have been getting behind a lot of stories for WW. The Hiketeia, Golden Perfect, League of One, Perez, Rucka (twice). You'll see support for these stories when they're discussed. Let's not forget DC's well known inability to build up on any good will the title develops or their inconsistency. The numerous reboots and retcons are as much of a hindrance to an iconic story as anything.

My impression is that WW fans in general are getting behind runs. But we need a story that WW fans will support and that makes new fans. For that to happen, it needs to be let loose from its canon. DKR is a great example. The story taking place in the future is a premise easy to grasp for new readers. It’s a fresh start, or at least it creates the impression of this.

Azz kind of did this. But there was no shortage of hand wringing and pearl clutching among the WW fan base but folks that came in fresh seemed to like it. They weren’t attached to their idea of what a WW story should be. Dead Earth has the makings of a classic but you can see a contingent of WW fans making complaints even after just one issue is out (she’s too young, too violent, too dark, etc). But WW fans will need to let go of their need for a pure WW, or a WW that conforms to their specific vision. For the character to grow a new fan base, she will have to evolve.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

My impression is that WW fans in general are getting behind runs. But we need a story that WW fans will support and that makes new fans. For that to happen, it needs to be let loose from its canon. DKR is a great example. The story taking place in the future is a premise easy to grasp for new readers. It’s a fresh start, or at least it creates the impression of this.

Azz kind of did this. But there was no shortage of hand wringing and pearl clutching among the WW fan base but folks that came in fresh seemed to like it. They weren’t attached to their idea of what a WW story should be. Dead Earth has the makings of a classic but you can see a contingent of WW fans making complaints even after just one issue is out (she’s too young, too violent, too dark, etc). But WW fans will need to let go of their need for a pure WW, or a WW that conforms to their specific vision. For the character to grow a new fan base, she will have to evolve.
    Again, the fans alone are not the issue. Do you think that no iconic DC story doesn't have fans bashing it? Do you think this is only an issue for WW? Superman has plenty of iconic stories and his fandom is just anal about him remaining morally pure and stuck in a vision they prefer. Arguably more so.

If Dead Earth ends up as a classic it will be because it was that good regardless of how many WW fans hated it. New fans don't give a damn about what the old ones think. Their complaints will be nothing but hot air.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-12-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Again, the fans alone are not the issue. Do you think that no iconic DC story doesn't have fans bashing it? Do you think this is only an issue for WW? Superman has plenty of iconic stories and his fandom is just anal about him remaining morally pure and stuck in a vision they prefer. Arguably more so.

If Dead Earth ends up as a classic it will be because it was that good regardless of how many WW fans hated it. New fans don't give a damn about what the old ones think. Their complaints will be nothing but hot air.
    You might be right of course. I hope you are.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

I plan to go out and get this book finally. I was deterred initially, but after some ridiculous tumblr posts that I’ve read, I’m gonna start this book.

Extraordinary Member

Art from issue #2:

Extraordinary Member

Fantastic Member

Too violent, too dark! That not WW! WW not violent!! she only uses violence when she has no choice!! I didn't get this trying to make every hero dark!! When AZZ. made WW the God of War, it was awful!! It not what she's about, it was against everything WW stand for!! I glad WW being the God of War didn't stick!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 01-14-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Fantastic Member

I agree with the superman fans that want to keep him morally pure!! With society becoming more and more morally bankruptcy!! It seems every hero with a morale code, they want to drag them down in the gutter too!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 01-14-2020 at 12:21 PM.

I just managed to read the first issue today after deciding not to pull it. The art style grew on me really quick (it was one reason I didn’t get the book as soon as it released), and I think the story it’s telling is pretty great. It’s def. similar to Last Knight On Earth, with the setting, but it’ll be great to see it from Wonder Woman’s perspective. Cheetah had a really creepy design!

I’m glad I gave it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Looks like Hippolyta's there unless that's a flashback.

Extraordinary Member

I think it's suppose to be a flashback, I'm assuming the young girl is Diana.

Some thoughts after having read #2.

First, Johnson is an expert craftsman. The style feels like it calls back to European comics rather than American ones, but I'm stumped to give exact names of artists. It would look right at home in 2000 AD or Metal Hurlant. The action is fluid and feels like it has meaning and weight.

Second, this is grimdark with extra grim and dark, with a side of grim. I'm sure there are people who lap that thing up like no tomorrow, but I prefer it in smaller doses, and at least with a ray of hope.

Third, it feels like this story goes out of its way to include nearly every Wonder Woman trope that I dislike, and possibly invent a few new ones. Granted, the layered background is such that it might work its way out of it and craft something good out of them, but I have serious doubts about it.

spoilers:
    Hippolyta got the gods (only male gods shown) drunk until unconsciousness, stole some blood from each of them and crafted Diana with the help of it. It's like a combination of the worst of Azzarello and Morrison.

Only Diana has the bracelets, and in order to control her powers.

The Amazons are aggressively isolationistic and paranoid.

Those monsters Diana had to fight? Mutated Amazons, after them having been nuked. And they were sent out for revenge. For "honor", according to Hippolyta.

The ending runs on a Edgar Burroughs-level deus ex machina. Cheetah appears out of nowhere on Pegasus (previously only seen in flashbacks) to save Diana and Dee from the mutated Nubia.
    end of spoilers
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])