Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I am one of those who is lapping it up like there's no tomorrow. It's *so* good so far, and I don't know where it's going, but if it stays on its trajectory, I think it'll end up being Diana's Dark Knight Returns style story. The art is so very good, so full of motion and expression, and the story, although admittedly grim, does, at least in my view, have hope piercing through.

I don't know how to do the magic "hide text in spoiler-less friendly boxes," so I'll wait to post the specifics of what I like so much, but I'll post again after a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I am one of those who is lapping it up like there's no tomorrow. It's *so* good so far, and I don't know where it's going, but if it stays on its trajectory, I think it'll end up being Diana's Dark Knight Returns style story. The art is so very good, so full of motion and expression, and the story, although admittedly grim, does, at least in my view, have hope piercing through.

I don't know how to do the magic "hide text in spoiler-less friendly boxes," so I'll wait to post the specifics of what I like so much, but I'll post again after a few days.
    I really loved the revised creation story for Diana. Maybe my favorite take on it. It combines all of the different concepts of the past and gives Hippolyta and Diana an independence they've never had before.

I dunno if I want it to be canon, but I do like the redone origin.

So WW fans who care about power levels are going to be happy about her power level showcase here. That said, I don’t know what the hell Johnson is going for with the last page. Diana has a pretty heartfelt showing where she mourns her friend...
    spoilers:
    And then she decides to use his spine and skull as a flail? Lmaooooo that’s pretty Metal, I can’t lie, but it just feels completely jarring. The story went from being relatively serious into full blown camp with that. Guess we’ll see how he handles it in the next issue.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Wasn't a big fan of the story and the last page turned me against it. DC continues to be needlessly edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So WW fans who care about power levels are going to be happy about her power level showcase here. That said, I don’t know what the hell Johnson is going for with the last page. Diana has a pretty heartfelt showing where she mourns her friend...
    spoilers:
    And then she decides to use his spine and skull as a flail? Lmaooooo that’s pretty Metal, I can’t lie, but it just feels completely jarring. The story went from being relatively serious into full blown camp with that. Guess we’ll see how he handles it in the next issue.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, felt like something out of one of the Metal/Dark Multiverse books.

Extraordinary Member

I had really high hopes after the series was announced and felt those hopes would be validated after reading the first issue. Been kind of a down hill since then, there are still parts I really like but like kjn said there's also a hodgepodge of some of the worse WW tropes we've gotten over the years.

Would anyone here say this is WW's DKR? Is this the definitive, great American Wonder Woman story? is it better than the last, big Circe arc from JLD?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeesh, that last page I just really can't get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Would anyone here say this is WW's DKR? Is this the definitive, great American Wonder Woman story? is it better than the last, big Circe arc from JLD?
    I've liked it well enough so far but I wouldn't say that.

Though I don't even think that statement applies to DKR when it comes to Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    No as much as I’ve enjoyed it, it’s not her DKR or ASS (that’s the abbreviation, you can’t censor it!). Johnson has (until that last page) a good handle on who Diana is, but it’s not really digging deep into or celebrating her wider mythos. It looks like the Big Bads are going to end up being the Amazons, or the humans, so sadly it’s not a great showcase for her villains like Lex in ASS or Joker in DKR.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No as much as I’ve enjoyed it, it’s not her DKR or ASS (that’s the abbreviation, you can’t censor it!). Johnson has (until that last page) a good handle on who Diana is, but it’s not really digging deep into or celebrating her wider mythos. It looks like the Big Bads are going to end up being the Amazons, or the humans, so sadly it’s not a great showcase for her villains like Lex in ASS or Joker in DKR.
    I am disappointed to hear that. There seems to be no definitive, go-to WW story.

The JLD Circe arc was pretty good, but more about magic and Circe, than defining of WW. Just the same, it was better than anything, in WW, at the time...maybe, ever.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I think this is developing into as much of an anti-Wonder Woman story as Azzarello's New 52…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Lol, so in order to show she can beat up Superman, they had her become a spoilers:
    cold-blooded killer.
    end of spoilers
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think this is developing into as much of an anti-Wonder Woman story as Azzarello's New 52…
    Eh I wouldn’t go that far (not that I thought New 52 was anti-WW mind you but that’s a whole different argument). The humans are the ones responsible for the nukes, for destroying the planet, for what happened to the Amazons. Diana and the Amazons aren’t perfect and make mistakes of their own, but they aren’t rapists or warmongers. The Amazons are just mad as hell and have cause to be so. I expect this will end with Diana bringing peace and maybe even restoring the Amazons to human form.