Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Y'know, I'm not expecting this to be like Truth, but the Bleeding Cool report of them replacing Batman along with this just makes me think we might be hitting another DCYou era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They’ve definitely fallen off but I do think the Big 3 (Spidey, Supes, and Bats) need them in a way that maybe other characters don’t. Those three have deep roots in the “civilian” side of their universes that they’d lose more than they’d gain if their secret ID’s ever went away permanently.
    They've definitely fallen out of the favor, especially with stuff like the MCU that basically has 99% of their heroes go without them and barely treats Spider-Man's seriously, although several prominent characters still have and utilize them (mostly on DC's side).

Although I'm reminded of how in Into the Spider-Verse blond Peter made it a major point to Miles that had to hide his identity as one of his parting words.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know, I'm not expecting this to be like Truth, but the Bleeding Cool report of them replacing Batman along with this just makes me think we might be hitting another DCYou era.

They've definitely fallen out of the favor, especially with stuff like the MCU that basically has 99% of their heroes go without them and barely treats Spider-Man's seriously, although several prominent characters still have and utilize them (mostly on DC's side).

Although I'm reminded of how in Into the Spider-Verse blond Peter made it a major point to Miles that had to hide his identity as one of his parting words.
    Well their share of the comic book market just hit an all time low so you might not be that far off in your assessment. We’ll see I guess.

Well their share of the comic book market just hit an all time low so you might not be that far off in your assessment. We’ll see I guess.
    Now all we need are a bunch of bad costumes and quirky series with dubious continuity and we'll know we've hit peak DCYou .

Now all we need are a bunch of bad costumes and quirky series with dubious continuity and we'll know we've hit peak DCYou .
    LoSH has the bad costumes and Wonder Comics has the quirky series with dubious continuity lol. But I love Wonder Comics and some of my favorite current DC books are coming from there so I don’t care if they’re opting out of tying in to current affairs. Let ‘em be standalones.

Also unlike Truth, this feels to me like something that isn’t meant to last for a long time. I expect that this will only be a thing for Supes time as a President and then the genie goes back in the bottle. I mean Snyder let everyone make a wish at the end of Metal 1, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a repeat of that at the end of Metal 2. Also BC mentioned that DC’s “5G” initiative, whatever that is, is still in the cards for 2020 and will be the big relaunch we’ve been talking about.

They’ve definitely fallen off but I do think the Big 3 (Spidey, Supes, and Bats) need them in a way that maybe other characters don’t. Those three have deep roots in the “civilian” side of their universes that they’d lose more than they’d gain if their secret ID’s ever went away permanently.
    Yeah - there's a lot of great "street-level" stories that the Daily Planet staff interactions help a lot that would be lost without Clark in the mix. Nixing the secret ID for any kind of long-term scenario is a big mistake, imo.

And here's proof that it won't be gone long: Superman has his trunks back, so does Batman. How long have we had to hear about how horrible they are from "everybody"? By the time the whole thing is done, they'll have "New Coked" the secret ID the same way they did the classic costume.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They'll bring back New 52 as a gimmick!
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

This may come as a shock but I’m oddly zen about this. I get why people are mad about it and I don’t even disagree that it’s lazy and will ultimately just have to be reset but I just can’t find outrage for it. I must be getting old! LOL

As far as I’m concerned comparing this to TRUTH is a wasted exercise as the two scenarios couldn’t be more different. It appears that Superman and Lois, I presume, make this choice together we a team and that’s at least fresh and a new angle and far different from Truth where Lois was treated so poorly and Clark didn’t have agency in the choice. So long as this is treated with purpose and they do it as a team, I’m interested.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    This may come as a shock but I’m oddly zen about this. I get why people are mad about it and I don’t even disagree that it’s lazy and will ultimately just have to be reset but I just can’t find outrage for it. I must be getting old! LOL

As far as I’m concerned comparing this to TRUTH is a wasted exercise as the two scenarios couldn’t be more different. It appears that Superman and Lois, I presume, make this choice together we a team and that’s at least fresh and a new angle and far different from Truth where Lois was treated so poorly and Clark didn’t have agency in the choice. So long as this is treated with purpose and they do it as a team, I’m interested.
    This is my stance. Truth was different. I know why Lois did it but how they treated her thereafter was just shameful. Clark simply giving in and his reaction wasn't flattering, leaving it till the very end to "fix" that mess was worse imo. I'm curious to see where this leads since it isn't N52 redux thankfully. Clark (and lois) may be trying to get ahead of something instead of being forced to act at the last second. I especially like that they are at least dealing with this together as a unit.

LoSH has the bad costumes and Wonder Comics has the quirky series with dubious continuity lol. But I love Wonder Comics and some of my favorite current DC books are coming from there so I don’t care if they’re opting out of tying in to current affairs. Let ‘em be standalones.
    Dang it, you're right .
    Also unlike Truth, this feels to me like something that isn’t meant to last for a long time. I expect that this will only be a thing for Supes time as a President and then the genie goes back in the bottle. I mean Snyder let everyone make a wish at the end of Metal 1, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a repeat of that at the end of Metal 2. Also BC mentioned that DC’s “5G” initiative, whatever that is, is still in the cards for 2020 and will be the big relaunch we’ve been talking about.
    That's an...interesting name, even if BC came up with it (?).

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

That's an...interesting name, even if BC came up with it (?).
    It looks a name for some advanced cellular technology.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Supposedly it's an actual thing DC is planning late into next year. Reboot, maybe? Speculation suggests it's the "fifth generation" of DC heroes. I don't think anyone knows what's going on over there anymore. Now we're getting word DDC isn't canon anymore either. The BC theory seems the most plausible. Jon is going off to the future to get him out of the way. It sounds more and more like they are trying to get back to some sort of post-Crisis status. If Jon is disappearing the "Oh, he was never really Clark's son anyway" works as an excuse to the outside world. So you have a married Lois/Clark again with no kid in the way. This could be the "reveal" they are talking about.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Supposedly it's an actual thing DC is planning late into next year. Reboot, maybe? Speculation suggests it's the "fifth generation" of DC heroes. I don't think anyone knows what's going on over there anymore. Now we're getting word DDC isn't canon anymore either. The BC theory seems the most plausible. Jon is going off to the future to get him out of the way. It sounds more and more like they are trying to get back to some sort of post-Crisis status. If Jon is disappearing the "Oh, he was never really Clark's son anyway" works as an excuse to the outside world. So you have a married Lois/Clark again with no kid in the way. This could be the "reveal" they are talking about.
    At that point you might as well go all the way and undo the marriage as well if you’re getting rid of Jon. But Bendis has said Jon will still be an active part of the Superbooks so I’m not certain that’s actually the plan.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Yeah! I could see this happening. But, i don't know. Jon-superman's son concept is pretty popular. It is getting pushed so much so that many other medium are quickly picking it up. It is an easy money making endeavour. I know that didio likes the marketability of the son of superman.
    On the other hand they could be of the mindset
    Noncanon son of superman - good
    Canon son of superman - bad
    So, its up in the air.

Astonishing Member

Take a decade off Clark & Lois' age, state Jon is their son but not one that has been born in the present time. Pre-Flashpoint status quo restored, but Jon is still with the Legion.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Take a decade off Clark & Lois' age, state Jon is their son but not one that has been born in the present time. Pre-Flashpoint status quo restored, but Jon is still with the Legion.
    Yeah! I hate those son but not son kinda nonsense explanation. Either make him son or don't. Give him a different origin. Don't have him be the son of future superman and adopted son of the present. That would just destroy the character,whatever is left of it.