Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

There's always the chance they erase Jon in the present and go back to a time before he was born, but the character remains in Legion. They could say the Legion Jon comes from further in the timeline than the DC present. Jon almost never interacts with his parents and when he does he's cryptic about his true identity. Didio would call it a compromise between the Jon lovers and Jon haters, while anyone burned by the age up will lose out completely. I'd hate it, but I can't pretend that isn't a possibility.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Damn, even I wouldn't think that convoluted type of scenario would be worth it. Compromise can be a bad idea, this would be an example of that. If you like it and want to move forward with it stick with it as is. If you don't get rid of it. But what a major disaster if they tried that type of compromise. Whether I like the concept or not in this instance is immaterial; support your decisions full ass, not half.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-15-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Damn, even I wouldn't think that convoluted type of scenario would be worth it. Compromise is always a bad idea. If you like it and want to move forward with it stick with it as is. If you don't get rid of it. But what a major disaster if they tried that type of compromise. Whether I like the concept or not in this instance is immaterial; support your decisions full ass, not half.
    Isn't also the current status-quo under Bendis a sort of "compromise"?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Damn, even I wouldn't think that convoluted type of scenario would be worth it. Compromise can be a bad idea, this would be an example of that. If you like it and want to move forward with it stick with it as is. If you don't get rid of it. But what a major disaster if they tried that type of compromise. Whether I like the concept or not in this instance is immaterial; support your decisions full ass, not half.
    Can't say I disagree. All I meant is that this is the kind of scenario I can imagine Didio pulling under the guise of keeping everyone happy when really keeping no one happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Isn't also the current status-quo under Bendis a sort of "compromise"?
    I think so, yeah. Which is a part of why I hate it.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    There's always the chance they erase Jon in the present and go back to a time before he was born, but the character remains in Legion. They could say the Legion Jon comes from further in the timeline than the DC present. Jon almost never interacts with his parents and when he does he's cryptic about his true identity. Didio would call it a compromise between the Jon lovers and Jon haters, while anyone burned by the age up will lose out completely. I'd hate it, but I can't pretend that isn't a possibility.
    That is basically what I was suggesting. Jon being the son of Lois and Clark, but all of his Superboy life in the 21st century would have been in a vague "day after tomorrow" status where the Superman in the present comics has never had a child with Lois (uet). Jon's history still counts but only for Jon (and maybe Damian). But for everyone else SuperDad is a "potential" future. The SuperSons stuff is Jon being sent back to "learn" from Damian as a self-fulfilling paradox.

As much as I'm not a fan of kid Jon, I really don't see the point of erasing him from Superman and Lois' history. I would have found a girl more interesting than a boy for their apparently only kid, so far. But erasing him would be a very stupid move.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    That is basically what I was suggesting. Jon being the son of Lois and Clark, but all of his Superboy life in the 21st century would have been in a vague "day after tomorrow" status where the Superman in the present comics has never had a child with Lois (uet). Jon's history still counts but only for Jon (and maybe Damian). But for everyone else SuperDad is a "potential" future. The SuperSons stuff is Jon being sent back to "learn" from Damian as a self-fulfilling paradox.
    Yeah, I really hate that kind of thing. A lot. And I already severely dislike the current setup as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    At that point you might as well go all the way and undo the marriage as well if you’re getting rid of Jon. But Bendis has said Jon will still be an active part of the Superbooks so I’m not certain that’s actually the plan.
    Legion is technically a Superbook, is it not?

It is, yeah. The franchise was a spin-off from Superboy when it first debuted and team often has either Superboy or Supergirl in the roster. This version is no different.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Going to be straight, I hate that idea and I don't think many will find it to be the compromise you are suggestign it as. People that love Jon will see this as Bendis sealing the coffin on him and having all of their fears come true. The people that hate Jon will still have to deal with him in the comics. And honestly, I'd think it's pretty heartbreaking to have a clark and lois who raised a boy for years and we the audience know they forgot him.

So hopefully this idea stays as fanfiction, because if it were to happen, I'd have to jump on the hating Bendis bandwagon like everyone else.

Unfortunately if DC's higher ups think that this is viable compromise then this is what we'll get. Who cares what the fans actually want.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    This may come as a shock but I’m oddly zen about this. I get why people are mad about it and I don’t even disagree that it’s lazy and will ultimately just have to be reset but I just can’t find outrage for it. I must be getting old! LOL

As far as I’m concerned comparing this to TRUTH is a wasted exercise as the two scenarios couldn’t be more different. It appears that Superman and Lois, I presume, make this choice together we a team and that’s at least fresh and a new angle and far different from Truth where Lois was treated so poorly and Clark didn’t have agency in the choice. So long as this is treated with purpose and they do it as a team, I’m interested.
    This is where I'm at. I don't necessarily like the idea of basically shelving the Clark Kent identity again less than five years after the last time they did it,but at least it comes from a better storytelling place than "let's throw Lois under the bus and make Clark a prick!".;Yeah it'll have to be retracted at some point, but there might be a cool story to tell here.

My only fear is that the ultimate outcome is erasing Jon,the marriage and everything since REBORN to return Supes to DiDio's preferred status quo of an eternally single Superman and the unending triangle for two with Lois. But time will tell.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-16-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This is where I'm at. I don't necessarily like the idea of basically shelving the Clark Kent identity again less than five years after the last time they did it,but at least it comes from a better storytelling place than "let's throw Lois under the bus and make Clark a prick!".;Yeah it'll have to be retracted at some point, but there might be a cool story to tell here.

My only fear is that the ultimate outcome is erasing Jon,the marriage and everything since REBORN to return Supes to DiDio's preferred status quo of an eternally single Superman and the unending triangle for two with Lois. But time will tell.
    They actually succeeded in making me hate Clark. Thankfully it was temporary.

I must be the lone reed here because I'm not getting "DC/Didio/Bendis is trying to erase Jon" vibes that seems to be prevalent in these parts.

Spectacular Member

They can no more do this than erase Damien Wayne. This is pure idiocy. No wonder why sales are in the toilet.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    They actually succeeded in making me hate Clark. Thankfully it was temporary.

I must be the lone reed here because I'm not getting "DC/Didio/Bendis is trying to erase Jon" vibes that seems to be prevalent in these parts.
    Hopefully you're right, but I'm not confident with this bunch. Ever since Bendis came in, it's been downhill.