Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Part of what's weird for me is to have Shayera interacting with the wrong Hawkman, even if they're technically the same Hawkman.

I wonder if that's why they're keeping the Hawks apart. A part of me just thinks it's because Snyder wanted Hawkgirl and Venditti didn't want to have a strong female lead he'd have to juggle.
    I think this is 100% Snyder wanting to tell his love story that only he is compelled by and Venditti not being able to do much with Kendra without talking about her and Carter, either forcing the fact that they're stalling the Hawks into the forefront. He'd have his hands tied. It would either be about how she's not interested in being fate's plaything (by doing the same thing she always does, date someone else despite loving Carter, which may as well be her fate now since no matter what reboots the universe this remains true) or making her cheat (assuming they're actually in a relationship now) on J'onn.

It just feels like there's no really great option for Kendra in the book currently so while I prefer my Hawk's together, I'd rather them apart unless they can actually soar. I love Hawkgirl and if Snyder's plans hamstring her involvement in Carter's plot, better she be used well there than tied up by editorial and reduced to an also-ran. She deserves nothing less than co lead in a Hawk book.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think this is 100% Snyder wanting to tell his love story that only he is compelled by and Venditti not being able to do much with Kendra without talking about her and Carter, either forcing the fact that they're stalling the Hawks into the forefront. He'd have his hands tied. It would either be about how she's not interested in being fate's plaything (by doing the same thing she always does, date someone else despite loving Carter, which may as well be her fate now since no matter what reboots the universe this remains true) or making her cheat (assuming they're actually in a relationship now) on J'onn.

It just feels like there's no really great option for Kendra in the book currently so while I prefer my Hawk's together, I'd rather them apart unless they can actually soar. I love Hawkgirl and if Snyder's plans hamstring her involvement in Carter's plot, better she be used well there than tied up by editorial and reduced to an also-ran. She deserves nothing less than co lead in a Hawk book.
    Yeah, I'm glad to have Kendra prominently and used fairly well even if I'd rather she and Carter be the leads of Hawkman again.

To be honest this kind of reminds me of all the effort Marvel has gone to keep Dr. Strange and Clea apart.

Astonishing Member

Isn't Shayera, though, just another incarnation of Prince Khuful's first wife -- just as is Kendra? I'm a little confused on how both Katar and Carter can exist simultaneously, but aren't they both incarnations of Khufu?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Isn't Shayera, though, just another incarnation of Prince Khuful's first wife -- just as is Kendra? I'm a little confused on how both Katar and Carter can exist simultaneously, but aren't they both incarnations of Khufu?
    Vendetti's run revealed that Carter has been reincarnated across both time and space, so it's implied some incarnations have co-existed. Shayera and Kendra were featured in Snyder's Justice League where it was revealed Shayera had broken free of the cycle and became her own entity; she had what was essentially a tulpa of the New 52 Katar accompanying her.

The current run makes it a time/space reincarnation where things aren't so linear, essentially saying "we enjoy having this cake and eating it too." Moreover, Khufu isn't his earliest life anymore.

I think Shayera is there because Venditti can't use Kendra.

That, and this run has had a lot of focus on the Thanagarian aspect, so it makes sense for Vendetti to use a dangling plot point that fits well with that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The current run makes it a time/space reincarnation where things aren't so linear, essentially saying "we enjoy having this cake and eating it too." Moreover, Khufu isn't his earliest life anymore.

I think Shayera is there because Venditti can't use Kendra.
    Oh, I guess I knew that about Khufu not being his earliest life -- but am unwilling to accept it . Frankly, I still think Pre-Crisis history is the only one that matters -- everything that has come later is just an unneeded and over complicated. The Hawks, especially.

Oh, I guess I knew that about Khufu not being his earliest life -- but am unwilling to accept it . Frankly, I still think Pre-Crisis history is the only one that matters -- everything that has come later is just an unneeded and over complicated. The Hawks, especially.
    Meet me in Park Row after hours, we're gonna rumble over that statement. Bring your pearls.

BANNED

What origin version of Carter do you like more post crisis JSA Geoff version or post Flashpoint Carter?

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    What origin version of Carter do you like more post crisis JSA Geoff version or post Flashpoint Carter?
    I've read more of the former and he's my ideal Hawkman, so he gets my vote.

BANNED

I've read more of the former and he's my ideal Hawkman, so he gets my vote.
    Agreed but post metal Carter is also a great character as well with a nice twist to his incarnation origin.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Agreed but post metal Carter is also a great character as well with a nice twist to his incarnation origin.
    I was thinking more New 52 Katar instead of Venditti's when you mentioned post-Flashpoint .

BANNED

I was thinking more New 52 Katar instead of Venditti's when you mentioned post-Flashpoint .

yeah I meant Carter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not crazy about the outfit, but really glad to see her back! (and yes, can't wait to hear what the continuity is these days)
    Not crazy about Hawkman’s outfit, in that pic.
    One of the things i’ve Liked about this book is the retro look he’s been sporting. I mean what the heck is going on w. that helmet? He’s gonna fly into a wall.

But yes, yay Shayera!

FINALLY now let's get back with the Justice League