Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
That's interesting. Which ones live in NJ? I just always assumed everyone was in NYC (kinda like the superheroes they write about), since that's where their HQ is. Marvel has always had a distinct East Coast flavor, if not outright NYC. Of the legendary Marvel trio: Stan and Jack are native New Yorkers, while Steve is from Pennsylvania and moved to NYC later. In the '80s, many of the talent were from the East Coast such as Tom DeFalco (Queens), Ann Nocenti (NYC), Jim Owsley/Christopher Priest (Queens), Jim Shooter (Pittsburgh), Bill Sienkiewicz (Pennsylvania), Chris Claremont (Long Island), Frank Miller (Vermont), Ron Frenz (Pennsylvania), Bill Mantlo (Brooklyn), Ed Hannigan (Rhode Island), and Peter Allen David (New Jersey). There were definitely exceptions, like Walt Simonson (Tennessee), Louise Simonson (Georgia), Bob McLeod (Florida), Mark Gruenwald (Wisconsin) and John Byrne (Canada), among others, but an exception is exactly that.

That may be why Marvel has always been oriented around NYC, because from the earliest days the creators were either NYC or close to it, and as they say "write what you know". If anything, the doors have only opened up today for creators from all around to be in Marvel, and I think the internet has something to do with it. But I'd be very interested to know which Marvel people were living in NJ.
Ha, well, I can't say too much about the identity of these individuals. That could lead to people figuring out who I am and that is something I'd like to keep close to the vest. I'll just say that one of these individuals was an editor who is no longer with the company. I kinda chuckled a bit when I first saw him because, unless you're a comic book nerd, you wouldn't know he was an editor at Marvel. He looked just like a regular commuter reading a New York Post. The other wasn't an editor per se, but someone who worked in the marketing department. He saw me reading comics on my iPhone and offered some comics (employees at Marvel get free issues every Wednesday, of both Marvel and DC apparently). We ended up talking about Marvel the whole bus ride, which was super informative and enjoyable. I talked to him about what I had seen in Hong Kong and we talked about the Netflix shows, OMD/BND, and whether or not old characters should be replaced minorities.