Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Hopefully it sticks. I get the desire to want to get rid of a character like that, but it seems like they keep forgetting they killed him off and then someone else brings him back. I can't imagine that's an IP that anyone really wants to hold on to.
    He just neefs to become a white supremacist and then he'll be about the most problematic character in comics

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    He just neefs to become a white supremacist and then he'll be about the most problematic character in comics
    Ugh. I don't think I can deal with Uncle Ruckus with hypno-rape powers.

I really don't understand how people ever think some of this stuff is a good idea.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 09-20-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Hes literally a black monkey man with rape powers who hates women. Kill him and never use him again.
    Yeah, even in the context of him being a villain, I understand why some may argue that a villain like Jerome Beechman is wrapped up in one too many controversies for Marvel to keep on bothering with.

Oh I forgot to add he hates (dislikes cant remember) black women over white.

So he's two major racial stereotypes (Ape like black male, Black male who wants to steal white women)
    A misogynist (hates women in general)
    Has creepy sex based powers (Pheremones that control ONLY Women)

Again, dude just needs a swastika or two and he's a full set of "Who thought this was a good idea"

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Oh I forgot to add he hates (dislikes cant remember) black women over white.

So he's two major racial stereotypes (Ape like black male, Black male who wants to steal white women)
    A misogynist (hates women in general)
    Has creepy sex based powers (Pheremones that control ONLY Women)

Again, dude just needs a swastika or two and he's a full set of "Who thought this was a good idea"
    Well I think you're a little late there, because Wonder Woman #19 did something along those lines all the way back in 1946...

Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-20-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Invincible Member

Going back to Luke Cage, the whole Iron Fist thing is the reason I don't get why some fans are mad about Jess Jones just getting tossed in the mix, seemingly out of the blue.

That's pretty much how Luke has met all of his best friends.
    I think it's more cuz some fans simply don't like Jessica Jones. The MAX series was an interesting take on the superhero genre because the whole point was that she was a failure as a hero so she retreated into self-loathing and doubt. But when Bendis integrated her into the 616 universe, she just kinda stood around being boring. TV Jessica is more confidant, but also more of a bad person. It's like your friend is hanging out with this other person you think is a loser.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Political correctness is a broad subject with a changing definition, and what you and most here are talking about is the narrowed down idea of diversity and inclusion. This started out a "tokenism", basically adding a character as some kind of artistic affirmative action to "show" how they are not racist and helps the creator feel a little better about using a scary minority suspect in every other case, the "I have a black friend" method of writing. Most of the tokens added were stereotypical and pushed in the backgrounds when the story didn't call for their trope. A single black character, for example, is forced to be exemplary of his entire race in small segments. This also even brought about the "Positive Discrimination" the wise Native American character that dispenses sage advice, or the Asian martial artist that can fight 20 men at the same time but, only when needed, then back to the background they went. Minorities were a plot device. And that is what passed for "Politically correct" for a time.....but

It is still being practiced today in many forms of media. It fulfills the executives' desire to show they are more ethnically respectful to draw in a minority audience, avoid criticism from minority groups as twitter has become the court room of "Politically correct". And sadly it allows the creators to make race jokes related to a minority in the medium of their work without any shame cough, cough Quentin Tarantino. The Token has been moved up to the main character in some cases but is still filled with tropes and stereotypical characteristics. They are still plot devices just more sugar coated to please a "socially aware" (now know as woke) audience.

So when is "political correctness" done well in comics or any other medium? When it's not part of the creative process, to not fill in a check list. To be a thought out idea without outside pressure that it "needs" to be included rather than it should be there. I would agree that the idea of a check list during the creative process is a weight added that should not be there.

There was a Marvel comic in 2005 from Marvel called Wha...Huh? a play on What If? In it is a story of "What if the Black Panther was white". To shorten the story he was only hired on the Avengers because they thought he was black and that Black Widow was there because she is a woman. Makes on wonder on how much of that parody of tokenism is true.

There are some that believe that forced diversity is a good thing, so, to each his own. The end of the day it is all the choice of the owner and writer of the material to do with it how they see fit, be it from a feeling of social pressure to add certain aspect or to only follow ones creative self. The choice we have as consumers is to buy what we want to see and read, our vocal opinions be they in the majority or minority really mean nothing if a company is making bottom line profit from the material.
    Part of the problem with these discussions about "political correctness" is that many people don't really discuss whatever issues or topics, they discuss who they imagine people who support political correctness to be. So instead of having a conversation about race, gender, politics, vulgarity or whatever...we're talking about people who annoy us on the internet. Instead of analyzing a piece of entertainment and what it's trying to say, we're pearl clutching about people telling us what to do or what's being "forced down our throats."

Invincible Member

If I remember correctly, he actually is white. Or at least was born that way.

Invincible Member

Ugh. I don't think I can deal with Uncle Ruckus with hypno-rape powers.

I really don't understand how people ever think some of this stuff is a good idea.
    He was teamed up Nekra was a black woman with white skin. I'm sure they thought they were making some sort of statement about racism. Keep in mind though, this was the early 70's and all those young guys who were breaking into comics then were heavy in weed.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If I remember correctly, he actually is white. Or at least was born that way.
    Yeah indeed he is. Just utterly moronic to pretend he’s some kind of a racist character and says more about where politically correct minded people’s brains jumps when you see an ape character than the general public.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Yeah indeed he is. Just utterly moronic to pretend he’s some kind of a racist character and says more about where politically correct minded people’s brains jumps when you see an ape character than the general public.
    He was white but born with black skin and teams up with a black woman with white skin.......

Anyone got a clown emote?

I mean, when white parents are exposed to radiation and it gives them a black kid, who then turns into a monkey man with awkward sex control powers its not exactly hard to see the awkwardness. I mean unless your blind, which from your overall discussions in here you might very well be.

I mean, when white parents are exposed to radiation and it gives them a black kid, who then turns into a monkey man with awkward sex control powers its not exactly hard to see the awkwardness. I mean unless your blind, which from your overall discussions in here you might very well be.
    Just admit you were wrong dude. No need for projection.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Just admit you were wrong dude. No need for projection.
    Lol

I'm not wrong in the slightest.

Ignore your eyes if you wish but hes literally multiple horrible tropes and stereotypes rolled into one.

Hes literally a black monkey man with rape powers who hates women. Kill him and never use him again.
    I mean, I agree with you. Wait, do we actually have someone defending Mandril in this thread? For real?