Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

And I also agree with Things Fall Apart, it doesn't really make much sense for non-minorities to talk about PC or diversity done right when they have little to no understanding of how certain minorities feel considering they have been depicted and treated very badly for majority of America's history.
    It doesn't make sense for people to say "hey, I think this idea is done well" or "I think this was done poorly" because of a supposed intellectual inferiority you seem to have ascribed to non-minorities?
    BTW, every ethnic group has blood on their hands at some point and your favorite group to pity, whoever that happens to be, isn't that special.
    Since this has veered into chase ethnicity X out of the conversation territory, I think I'm just going to go, leave you to the hell you can't seem to acknowledge your building.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Nobody was arguing for an all white cast for Spider-Man, rather use the non-white characters that already exist more heavily than changing the white ones and ignoring the non-white ones. They could have used Glory Grant, Hobie Brown, Sha Shan Nguyen, Randy Robertson, Sajani Jaffrey, Robert Farrell, Hector Ayala and more.
    Fair enough.

But from certain quarter, there would still be complaints about the film makers ignoring the white characters in favor of the minority ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Conch22 View Post
    It doesn't make sense for people to say "hey, I think this idea is done well" or "I think this was done poorly" because of a supposed intellectual inferiority you seem to have ascribed to non-minorities?
    BTW, every ethnic group has blood on their hands at some point and your favorite group to pity, whoever that happens to be, isn't that special.
    Since this has veered into chase ethnicity X out of the conversation territory, I think I'm just going to go, leave you to the hell you can't seem to acknowledge your building.
    Oh brother.

As for Peters' cast, well, the reality is that if it was to happen today, it would look a lot more like the MCU cast than it would Peter's comic supporting cast. MCU Flash is still the high school bully-jerk to Parker that he's always been.. he's just not as much a jock that we've seen because Peter's school isn't a common high school, or the common high school experience at all.

Same for Zendaya, who captures MJ's mystique and early enigma without just being another redhead on the screen.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 09-19-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Ultimate Member

I don't understand this. What does this have to do with my original point?

Woah, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who aren't minorities constantly complaining about minority representation as "PC". Beyond a certain point, it becomes ridiculous.

I see so many complaints about Spider-man Homecoming but did the diversity in the movie hurt the movie? Not in the slightest. And i must say, this isn't the 60's anymore and the demographics of New York city (and Queens in particular) has changed so much that having an all white cast supporting cast for Peter Parker wouldn't just be unrealistic, it would be downright ridiculous. It's all fine and good to not be happy with the changes but it does not make any sense to insist on following the original comics faithfully when they were written decades ago.
    Everyone loves to use the fact that Peter Parker is from Queens to justify the changing of the characters based on demographics but they all forget what neighborhood he lives in and where Midtown High is. Google Forest Hills demographics.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member

Everyone loves to use the fact that Peter Parker is from Queens to justify the changing of the characters based on demographics but they all forget what neighborhood he lives in and where Midtown High is. Google Forest Hills demographics.
    I thought he was based and schooled in Queens in the movie.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-19-2019 at 01:48 AM.

I thought he was based and schooled in Queens in the movie.
    Forest Hills is a part of Queens and that’s always where Peter has lived and gone to school in the comics. People who made the movie probably had no idea.

Ultimate Member

Forest Hills is a part of Queens and that’s always where Peter has lived and gone to school in the comics. People who made the movie probably had no idea.
    I just checked the demographics, in 2010 it had a minority population of 42%. That's a huge minority population.

Considering that was almost 10 years ago, i'm pretty sure that demographic would have changed even further.

I just checked the demographics, in 2010 it had a minority population of 42%. That's a huge minority population.

Considering that was almost 10 years ago, i'm pretty sure that demographic would have changed even further.
    It is still very different from Queens NY at large with completely different numbers for different minority groups.

Ultimate Member

It is still very different from Queens NY at large with completely different numbers for different minority groups.

Yes but it's still a far cry from what it was when Peter Parker was first introduced.

Ethnicity
    • White
    59.58%
    • Asian
    23.7%
    • Hispanic
    12.03%
    • Black
    3.73%
    Demographics for Forest Hills, Queens. Again: it being as white as Peter's normal supporting cast would, in fact, be unlikely. That said, I'm not sure they placed him in Forest Hills in the MCU, and even if they did, that doesn't mean that a high school likely the one he's in /wouldn't/ be diverse given that it's likely to draw on a cross-section of New Yorkers as opposed to a local neighborhood.

Just listed some different characters and to check the rates in comparison to the demographics. If we were to keep the amount of white characters the same and then fill in the rest with the characters in the comics, it is actually much more split with a greater percentage of black people compared to the actual demographics. This is to show that the argument of matching the demographics is silly because in order to maintain that, we would have to keep lots of character nobody cares about who are white and lose most of the black characters. Just use which ever characters are best and don’t change them.

White: Peter Parker, Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson, Liz Allen, Sally Avril, Ned Leeds, Betty Brant, Carlie Cooper, Clayton Cole (57%)
    Black: Randy Robertson, Glory Grant, Hobie Brown, Robert Farrell (19%)
    Asian: Sha Shan Nguyen, Cindy Moon (10%)
    Hispanic: Hector Ayala, Ava Ayala, Vin Gonzalez, Michelle Gonzalez (19%)

Ultimate Member

Just listed some different characters and to check the rates in comparison to the demographics. If we were to keep the amount of white characters the same and then fill in the rest with the characters in the comics, it is actually much more split with a greater percentage of black people compared to the actual demographics. This is to show that the argument of matching the demographics is silly because in order to maintain that, we would have to keep lots of character nobody cares about who are white and lose most of the black characters. Just use which ever characters are best and don’t change them.

White: Peter Parker, Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson, Liz Allen, Sally Avril, Ned Leeds, Betty Brant, Carlie Cooper, Clayton Cole (57%)
    Black: Randy Robertson, Glory Grant, Hobie Brown, Robert Farrell (19%)
    Asian: Sha Shan Nguyen, Cindy Moon (10%)
    Hispanic: Hector Ayala, Ava Ayala, Vin Gonzalez, Michelle Gonzalez (19%)
    Are all these characters based in Queens?

Because the original point was the movies strive (and rightly so) to depict the neighborhood as close as possible to what it is today.

Are all these characters based in Queens?

Because the original point was the movies strive (and rightly so) to depict the neighborhood as close as possible to what it is today.
    And were they part of his high school experience? Of course not. We should be glad that diversity came to Peter's supporting cast a little earlier than some comics but that doesn't excuse not reflecting reality in 2019 in ANY version.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Nobody was arguing for an all white cast for Spider-Man, rather use the non-white characters that already exist more heavily than changing the white ones and ignoring the non-white ones. They could have used Glory Grant, Hobie Brown, Sha Shan Nguyen, Randy Robertson, Sajani Jaffrey, Robert Farrell, Hector Ayala and more.
    You'd be wrong about that. Rotten Tomatoes was full of comments about too many non-white people before the movie even opened. As a side note, using noted SJW Nightcrawler as an avatar while promoting SIJW values is curious.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua