View Poll Results: Should we continue to discuss OMD or should be ban/curtail it?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • A total ban on discussing OMD/One More Day/OMIT. No ifs, ands, and buts.

3 5.66%
  • No ban! It's a major Spider-Man story with lasting impact on continuity.

32 60.38%
  • A separate thread for discussing just that with a sticky but no discussions outside that.

14 26.42%
  • OMD and discussing it doesn't bother me, I couldn't care less.

7 13.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do We Talk About One More Day Too Much?

I will agree with several other users that OMD has created a toxic environment on this board. For example, when anyone floats the idea, even in just, that Peter should be with Felicia or Gwen (resurrected perhaps or alternate version) or someone else for a while they are all but crucified. The crux of the diehard Peter/MJ shippers rage seems to be because MJ was cheated out of her position as wife Peter should never be involved with anyone else romantically ever again. This behavior at times even devolves into page-long dissertations that are little more than character assassination pieces directed against the potential love interest to prove they don't deserve to take MJ's crown. Such an unwavering stance often takes the fun out of posting here.

Edit - I'm going to say this now. MJ is only the love interest she is NOT the star of this story or even co-star, Peter Parker is the star. If she disappeared tomorrow I'd miss her but I'd still read about Peter's adventures.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-14-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

i don’t think people who are less...attached...to comics will ever really empathise with the actions of those that are
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I will agree with several other users that OMD has created a toxic environment on this board. For example, when anyone floats the idea, even in just, that Peter should be with Felicia or Gwen (resurrected perhaps or alternate version) or someone else for a while they are all but crucified. The crux of the diehard Peter/MJ shippers rage seems to be because MJ was cheated out of her position as wife Peter should never be involved with anyone else romantically ever again. This behavior at times even devolved into page-long dissertations that are little more than character assassination pieces directed against the potential love interest to prove they don't deserve to take MJ's crown. Such an unwavering stance often takes the fun out of posting here.
    Agreed. And what's the point of a board than to just have fun with each other? What happened to that?

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i don’t think people who are less...attached...to comics will ever really empathise with the actions of those that are
    Exactly. Personally speaking, I was attached and had to back away for a long time because I kept being super invested. It's ultimately not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Agreed. And what's the point of a board than to just have fun with each other? What happened to that?
    If only this was true. I agree 100%.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I will agree with several other users that OMD has created a toxic environment on this board. For example, when anyone floats the idea, even in just, that Peter should be with Felicia or Gwen (resurrected perhaps or alternate version) or someone else for a while they are all but crucified. The crux of the diehard Peter/MJ shippers rage seems to be because MJ was cheated out of her position as wife Peter should never be involved with anyone else romantically ever again. This behavior at times even devolves into page-long dissertations that are little more than character assassination pieces directed against the potential love interest to prove they don't deserve to take MJ's crown. Such an unwavering stance often takes the fun out of posting here.

Edit - I'm going to say this now. MJ is only the love interest she is NOT the star of this story or even co-star, Peter Parker is the star. If she disappeared tomorrow I'd miss her but I'd still read about Peter's adventures.
    Who's being toxic/bad on this board? If they're being that deplorable, then won't they be dealt with accordingly by the mods? Long essays aren't always fun, sure, but are they always harmful? I wouldn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Who's being toxic/bad on this board? If they're being that deplorable, then won't they be dealt with accordingly by the mods? Long essays aren't always fun, sure, but are they always harmful? I wouldn't think so.
    Believe me, there's been quite a few people over the past ten years. Specifically over the past year especially for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Believe me, there's been quite a few people over the past ten years. Specifically over the past year especially for some reason.
    it's amazing how many mean spirited arseholes seem to believe in true love in a comic book
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I'm not going to name names because it is against the rules. I will say I am currently corresponding with two users on another site who were banned from these boards for such behavior since spring so the mods are trying. As or the essays they are annoying and clog up threads. These essays have even involved the user or users mind reading the intentions of writers and even Stan Lee himself to bolster their arguments.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.

I'm not going to name names because it is against the rules. I will say I am currently corresponding with two users on another site who were banned from these boards for such behavior since spring so the mods are trying. As or the essays they are annoying and clog up threads and have involved the user or users mind reading the intentions of writers and even Stan Lee himself to booster their arguments.
    haha the mind readers are worse than the straight up abusives imo.

other boards have ways of moderating the problem you describe beyond banning; stricter "on topic" maintenance, sticky threads for topics, threadomancy is frowned on etc etc. it does keep the conversations cleaner and fresh. a lot of the more toxic personalities here have been banned, and a lot of those weary of the omd discussion have left the board or post rarely now so you're kinda left with...milder people who like to engage in omd chat.

and yeah, i'm fully aware of how off topic we are rn. living on the edge.
    troo fan or death

it's amazing how many mean spirited arseholes seem to believe in true love in a comic book
    I'm not going to name names because it is against the rules. I will say I am currently corresponding with two users on another site who were banned from these boards for such behavior since spring so the mods are trying. As or the essays they are annoying and clog up threads. These essays have even involved the user or users mind reading the intentions of writers and even Stan Lee himself to bolster their arguments.
    Exactly. In agreement all around.

Amazing Member

If only this was true. I agree 100%.
    Even with the negativity,remenber that you're not alone.
    No one holds the whole truth,specially about something as subjective as opinions on storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mago dos Gatos View Post
    Even with the negativity,remenber that you're not alone.
    No one holds the whole truth,specially about something as subjective as opinions on storylines.
    Much appreciated! We could all use a bit of connectivity here these days. Welcome to the boards!

...threadomancy is frowned on etc etc....
    Ha, ha, ha, one of these individuals was involved in this tactic before being banned from here. They tried to do it again on the other site but (as you pointed out) such behavior wasn't tolerated.

BANNED

I actually think if some of you are serious, you should make a case on the mod boards about censoring and outright banning discussions of OMD on this forum. For the sake of fairness, add in people complaining about Sins' Past and Clone Saga while you are at it.

Otherwise, this recent round of posts is way off-topic and amounts to a small bunch of posters trying to shame fellow CBR users simply because they are discussing something (OMD) that is actually related to this thread and the original post.

I will agree with several other users that OMD has created a toxic environment on this board.
    One thing I have never done is call people who disagree with me as "toxic". Maybe because on other sites I came across actual toxic people. like actual misogynists who say the worst things on the crawlspace boards, or on tvtropes a guy who actually justified Hank Pym slapping Janet as being "right" (i.e. a real MRA guy who made Hank as their champion).

I don't think being tired of OMD discussions justifies anyone referring to that as "toxic" at least not without a wider frame of reference of actual toxic behavior online and elsewhere. Is OMD as toxic as Comicsgate? If not, then maybe another word than toxic might be useful.