View Poll Results: Should we continue to discuss OMD or should be ban/curtail it?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • A total ban on discussing OMD/One More Day/OMIT. No ifs, ands, and buts.

3 5.66%
  • No ban! It's a major Spider-Man story with lasting impact on continuity.

32 60.38%
  • A separate thread for discussing just that with a sticky but no discussions outside that.

14 26.42%
  • OMD and discussing it doesn't bother me, I couldn't care less.

7 13.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

As someone who loathes OMD and picks his Spidey stuff to utterly avoid it when possible, I'm pretty sick of the discussion around it; it's been over a decade, it's been hashed to death, pretty much everyone has been grounded in their opinions now (for, against, don't care, etc.). I literally think there's nothing more to discuss about it and that it's a trouble magnet. That said, if there was a major change (Marvel decided to remarry the Parkers, they wrote a story that very specifically addressed the topic, there was a major interview with a Marvel person that shed new light on things, etc.), that would create a scenario where there would be a "legitimate" reason to talk about it and a ban on it would make for a tricky situation.

Not sure any of the vote options fit my opinion on how it should be handled; I'd say no to banning the topic, but I do think that stricter moderation to keep things getting out of hand would be good. That said, can't users create new "no OMD" threads, anyways under the current setup?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Eh, ban members if they're breaking rules, or hand out warning in case someone is talking about OMD if it's off topic, don't ban a specific topic of discussion, it's pretty dumb to have a censorship just because a few members are being annoying, something like that happening is why I barely go talk in Superman's forums.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    sounds like you are bored with the genre of mainstream american superhero comics and should move on as a reader.
    for the most part i did after 15, but this board has a touch of nostalgia....plus, “life story” was a breath of fresh (though somewhat recycled) air

then the people complaining would have a point.
    glad we agree
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Eh, ban members if they're breaking rules, or hand out warning in case someone is talking about OMD if it's off topic, don't ban a specific topic of discussion, it's pretty dumb to have a censorship just because a few members are being annoying, something like that happening is why I barely go talk in Superman's forums.
    i don’t think anyone is asking for outright censorship but we’ve probably all been on other forums who have successful systems in place to deal with their own “omds”

to that end, the poll options are too limited
    troo fan or death

BANNED

I don't think there should be a ban on OMD discussions on this board I mean it's an infamous Spider-man story for one thing that is still having some impact on the series to this day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    for the most part i did after 15, but this board has a touch of nostalgia....plus, “life story” was a breath of fresh (though somewhat recycled) air
    just as i thought, thanks for confirmation. enjoy your new reading pursuits and hope you can find a place to discuss them

glad we agree
    yes, agree discussion of omd is wholly appropriate when the topic pertains to the future of peter and mj

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    just as i thought, thanks for confirmation.
    anytime friendo. most people on this board know that.

yes, agree discussion of omd is wholly appropriate when the topic pertains to the future of peter and mj.
    except that that topic was undeniably derailed. as...here we are.

it's probably telling that quite a few of the people asking for a bit of regulation have been here for a while, and those that don't see an issue are (seemingly) relative newcomers.
    troo fan or death

i don’t think anyone is asking for outright censorship but we’ve probably all been on other forums who have successful systems in place to deal with their own “omds”

to that end, the poll options are too limited
    The censorship is the first option in the poll, it's why I decided to talk about it.

If the mods feel like making a thread only for OMD so fans can bitch about it there, or let the fans bitch about it in other threads like it happens already, or something else to keep it more "controlled" so to say, makes little difference to me, I'm just opposed to a ban of the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The censorship is the first option in the poll, it's why I decided to talk about it.

If the mods feel like making a thread only for OMD so fans can bitch about it there, or let the fans bitch about it in other threads like it happens already, or something else to keep it more "controlled" so to say, makes little difference to me, I'm just opposed to a ban of the subject.
    i understand that, which is why i think the poll itself is not particularly well thought out.

there's no room for context or case by case situations. there's always going to be points where discussing omd is relevant, but a couple of sticky threads to house the oft repeated stuff would be welcome.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

i understand that, which is why i think the poll itself is not particularly well thought out.
    It was my first poll after all. I based the choices on stuff people were saying. Some people actively wanted an end to all OMD discussions. Someone else suggested doing a separate thread permanently for that. So I added that in. I added the fourth option for people who don't care either way myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It was my first poll after all. I based the choices on stuff people were saying. Some people actively wanted an end to all OMD discussions. Someone else suggested doing a separate thread permanently for that. So I added that in. I added the fourth option for people who don't care either way myself.
    oh, sorry mate. i honestly didn’t check to see who created the poll

i’m certain there’s a happy medium that doesn’t stop anyone from discussing what they want, but keeps the channels cleaner
    troo fan or death

BANNED

As tiresome a subject as OMD can be, there shouldn't be a ban on it.

It's not even realistic to try and ban it because it has had such an effect on Spidey and it's still being addressed or referenced within the books, as last week's ASM shows.

If a discussion gets out of hand - as they often do when OMD is concerned - mods will step in to reign it in.

I agree that OMD discussions can be a bore and an irritant. They never seem to go anywhere useful. But to try and actively abolish them from happening seems like a fruitless idea.

Astonishing Member

anytime friendo. most people on this board know that.
    a written confirmation is nice to have nonetheless. appreciate your honesty and i’m sure others appreciate the reminder that you’re bored

except that that topic was undeniably derailed. as...here we are.

it's probably telling that quite a few of the people asking for a bit of regulation have been here for a while, and those that don't see an issue are (seemingly) relative newcomers.
    it was derailed by those wanting to censor others even though omd was mentioned in the first post asking the topic question so it was on topic

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider
    you’re bored
    the chairman of

it was derailed by those wanting to censor others even though omd was mentioned in the first post asking the topic question so it was on topic
    the people talking about the people talking about omd definitely nailed that ol’ coffin. thankfully we now have a thread for people to talk about the people talking about the people talking about omd

but the actual discussion about the potential future of two characters sputtered out before that
    troo fan or death

People should be able to talk about it if they want. If you're not interested in hearing about it, be an adult and just ignore it.