View Poll Results: Should we continue to discuss OMD or should be ban/curtail it?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • A total ban on discussing OMD/One More Day/OMIT. No ifs, ands, and buts.

3 5.66%
  • No ban! It's a major Spider-Man story with lasting impact on continuity.

32 60.38%
  • A separate thread for discussing just that with a sticky but no discussions outside that.

14 26.42%
  • OMD and discussing it doesn't bother me, I couldn't care less.

7 13.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm ashamed of my role is escalating this matter.

OMD desperately needs its own all-purpose topic sticky thread so people who want to can avoid it.
    I think this is a conversation that has been needed for a long time. Not just for the constant One More Day derails, but how we talk about comic creators. The latter is an issue that extends to other sections of this message board (for example, Dan DiDio on the various DC forums), but it's most pronounced on the Spider-Man forum. It's a shame, because it's not the majority of posters, it's a small handful of very active posters. It's driven comic creators away from the board, it drives regular fans away from the boards, and it just reflects badly on comic fans in general, and Spider-Man fans and the CBR community specifically.

Ultimately it's up to the moderators what they want to enforce and how they want to enforce it. But with a little basic etiquette from everyone that wouldn't be necessary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I hope you can understand there's an element of aggressiveness in there which I don't think is ultimately fair to paint anyone in the position of a creator or artist.
    Go back across history, and there's a long tradition of people satirizing creators for their views, ideas, and their work. Sometimes this has been done by fellow creators. Look up Mark Twain's "James Fenimoore Cooper's Literary Offenses". Cooper is, in my view at least, a good author whose reputation took a disproportionate nosedive thanks to Twain but at the same time, Twain's satire is hilarious and funny, and of general interest in terms of how stuff become cliche or appear cliche.

I don't think you can write OMD and OMIT, defend it as a concept, and escape ridicule. To quote Oscar Wilde who said of Charles Dickens' Old Curiosity Shop, "You must have a heart of stone to not laugh at Little Nell's death."

Many are actually quite humble and don't need to be "taken down a peg" if their work doesn't meet a specific standard,
    I myself commended Quesada for being more courageous than for instance the creators of Game of Thrones who have gone off the grid in embarassment about the backlash of the show ans passed the buck to the actors. I also pointed out that Mark Waid is more insightful and empathetic now than he was back then.

But nobody wants to bring that up.

BANNED

Default POLL: Should there be a total ban on OMD discussions on CBR

A recent thread which concerned where Peter and MJ's relationship should go next which the OP asking people's thoughts on reversing OMD became derailed by a few posters wanting a total ban on all discussions on OMD fearing that it has become "toxic" and leading to others saying it's not toxic and so on.

So I thought how about we put a poll on how many people want there to be a total ban on discussing OMD here on CBR. This is a users' poll only. I've put four options here. Either a total ban, or a separate sticky thread apart from the general discussions and so on.

My argument is that OMD discussions are inevitable because Marvel keeps addressing and alluding to it, most recently in ASM #29 so discussing it makes sense. Likewise, banning OMD but not banning discussions of the Clone Saga or Sins' Past, or for that matter Night Gwen Stacy Died, to discuss three other stories that sparked controversy and backlash would be unfair, and it sets a negative precedent forward. But obviously a few are upset with the very idea of it being discussed...

It is relevant to certain topics, and is fine within those topics.

If you're talking about what you'd like to see in future Spider-Man comics, it could be relevant.

If you're talking about an allusion in an Amazing Spider-Man issue, it could be relevant.

If you're talking about the art on Ron Frenz, it'd probably not relevant.

If you're pissed off that there isn't an allusion in an Amazing Spider-Man issue, it's probably not relevant.

Someone who thinks we talk about it too much could further discussion on different topics, or start discussions on different topics, even in ways that exclude OMD (IE- "What would you like to see happen in Amazing Spider-Man No OMD talk edition")
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It is relevant to certain topics, and is fine within those topics.

If you're talking about what you'd like to see in future Spider-Man comics, it could be relevant.

If you're talking about an allusion in an Amazing Spider-Man issue, it could be relevant.

If you're talking about the art on Ron Frenz, it'd probably not relevant.

If you're pissed off that there isn't an allusion in an Amazing Spider-Man issue, it's probably not relevant.

Someone who thinks we talk about it too much could further discussion on different topics, or start discussions on different topics, even in ways that exclude OMD (IE- "What would you like to see happen in Amazing Spider-Man No OMD talk edition")
    I agree with this completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I agree with this completely.
    I'll also add that some of the problems aren't about One More Day coming up, but how it comes up. If there's a thread about Peter & MJ's relationship, it's fine to say that you want One More Day to be reversed, but some digressions are distractions (If you bash people who think One More Day was a good idea, they're likely to defend themselves; if you make a side comment about what you think of a writer you might get responses on that topic.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

I myself commended Quesada for being more courageous than for instance the creators of Game of Thrones who have gone off the grid in embarassment about the backlash of the show ans passed the buck to the actors.
    This attitude. The Game of Thrones writers LACK COURAGE because they're EMBARRASSED and have PASSED THE BUCK, what assholes.

This is exactly how you frequently talk about comic creators. Why? Why talk about TV show writers this way? Why talk about comic writers this way? They made a piece of entertainment you didn't like, and you feel to need to, as you put it, "take them down a peg", because they're "worthy and deserving targets", and this is part of your "protest"?

This forum is supposed to serve as a place for fans to discuss a shared interest, not as a venue to a protest a comic publisher by taking targets (human beings) down a peg.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    So did you vote yet?

So did you vote yet?
    This dude....oh my goodness...Jack, let me ask you something: do you like being contrary?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    This attitude. The Game of Thrones writers LACK COURAGE because they're EMBARRASSED and have PASSED THE BUCK, what assholes.

This is exactly how you frequently talk about comic creators. Why? Why talk about TV show writers this way? Why talk about comic writers this way? They made a piece of entertainment you didn't like, and you feel to need to, as you put it, "take them down a peg", because they're "worthy and deserving targets", and this is part of your "protest"?

This forum is supposed to serve as a place for fans to discuss a shared interest, not as a venue to a protest a comic publisher by taking targets (human beings) down a peg.
    why do gossip rags exist

why does tmz exist

why does the daily mail exist

oh maybe it’s only authors who shouldn’t be criticized

so

why did hg wells call george bernard shaw a great baying hyena

why did lord byron want to flay keats alive

why did wh auden call robert browning a pedophile who is bad in bed

good luck changing human nature

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    This dude....oh my goodness...Jack, let me ask you something: do you like being contrary?
    1) Was trying to avoid wall of text posts. 2) Asked a basic practical on-topic question. 3) I will tell you in PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Why didn't they ban it? Just curious.

If that's not the intent, then why do other posters like Electricmaestro and TinkerSpider ask aloud about what this talk about toxicity refers to then? Because they are on topic and discussing stuff while posters around them are saying it shouldn't be discussed and discussing it itself creates toxicity.

If they are banned, they can't post here or reply here and so it's not a real concern then. So the logical assumption is it's referring to fellow posters here, right?

If not, then please clarify that. And also please tell me where on the toxicity spectrum does OMD fit. Same boat as Comicsgate? Different boat? Toxic in spirit but not in letter.
    Not that I’m one to boss around what rules forums should have, as the ones in charge can do what they must and I can just go elsewhere for conversations on certain comics and reasonably ignore the noise in-between, though that being said, if this is a “toxic user” problem, then wouldn’t it be possible for such users to find other comics to be “toxic” about?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Not that I’m one to boss around what rules forums should have, as the ones in charge can do what they must and I can just go elsewhere for conversations on certain comics and reasonably ignore the noise in-between, though that being said, if this is a “toxic user” problem, then wouldn’t it be possible for such users to find other comics to be “toxic” about?
    The problem is that as far as I know, toxic users are comicsgate type, MRA types, and others who are against diversity and so on. OMD doesn't really fit that. A lot of these "toxic" users tend to go overboard in bashing Jane Thor and the likes. Some of them are in CBR and other places.

Some people are arguing that OMD is itself toxic. To those who make that claim, the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate where it sits on the toxicity spectrum. People trying to say it's like the TLJ backlash which had actual harassment of the actress Kelly Marie Tran need to demonstrate how it's analogous.

Amazing Member

Censorship and Prohibition never work.

People should be allowed to discuss everything, as long as rules are respected.

The problem is that as far as I know, toxic users are comicsgate type, MRA types, and others who are against diversity and so on. OMD doesn't really fit that. A lot of these "toxic" users tend to go overboard in bashing Jane Thor and the likes. Some of them are in CBR and other places.

Some people are arguing that OMD is itself toxic. To those who make that claim, the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate where it sits on the toxicity spectrum. People trying to say it's like the TLJ backlash which had actual harassment of the actress Kelly Marie Tran need to demonstrate how it's analogous.
    Harassing creators and actors is just one form of fandom toxicity. Sometimes it's seemingly harmless stuff like mocking creators or just making the environment feel hostile and negative to other fans.

I don't like OMD but I can see how people who some who don't like the story would rather ignore it and just enjoy the stories they like. As someone who gets very sick of how often talk about the DCEU gets hijacked by people complaining about Mos/BvS/Suicide Squad/JL, I can relate somewhat.

Not that I'm saying any of those are as bad as OMD. Okay maybe Suicide Squad or Justice League.