Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
  1. #46
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,145

    Default

    This is her granddad.

    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  2. #47
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is her granddad.

    Ever hear of roots? Lots of black people have white in their ancestry. Going by that, there's no black people in America.

    Ronda Rousey has a black grandfather or great grandfatherr. Is this a black woman?
    i.jpg
    I think not. Monet was black & any whitewashing can't be defended. Other than bias with wanting as few minorities as possible.

    Monet's father, brother, sisters, amd mother are black. But people want to ignore that & look at her supposed grandfather who probably had nothing to do with the established Cartier St. Croix. Who fans just canonly accept as being apart of Monet's family. Lol

    What her father looks like trumps her grandfather, or supposed grandfather.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-21-2019 at 06:55 AM.

  3. #48
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,145

    Default

    Yeah but Monet’s always been a quarter black (same as Ronda Rousey) as that is her paternal grandfather and her mother is Algerian.

    Also the guy I posted is Cartier’s father who Scott Lobdell (Monet’s creator) created. Cartier’s mother was black which makes him biracial.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 09-21-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Yeah but Monet’s always been a quarter black as that is her paternal grandfather and her mother is Algerian.
    Algerian isn't a race. Gotta get a nre narrative there. Race isn't as confusing when people learn the difference between that nationality,, culture, and religion. Lol Same ignorance that has people calling Lucy x Ricky an interracial couple. Lol


    Sorry still no excuse for whitewashing what started as a black character.

  5. #50
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,610

    Default

    Theres a picture of her mother in xfactor somewhere

  6. #51
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Algerian isn't a race.
    Demographics are 99% Arab Berber and 1% other races of people.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Demographics are 99% Arab Berber and 1% other races of people.
    What percentage of the population are Mutants tho ����
    GrindrStone(D)

  8. #53
    Spectacular Member Leirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Algerian isn't a race. Gotta get a nre narrative there. Race isn't as confusing when people learn the difference between that nationality,, culture, and religion. Lol Same ignorance that has people calling Lucy x Ricky an interracial couple. Lol


    Sorry still no excuse for whitewashing what started as a black character.
    M at first was just brown. With no particular black features. She could have easily been understood as your average arab/berber girl. Back in the day I assumed she was just the daughter of a pied noir and some rich local family. Which would not have been black, because being black in Algeria is pretty harsh. The chances of a royal being black there are slim. Unlike Sunspot and Storm, who are consistently portrayed as way lighter than they should, with M you could make the case that her actual race was never stablished. Something like this should be obvious, but american comics tend to be really bad at depicting ethnicity. Like it is 2019 and Storm in the X-men previews looks like a white woman painted black. In my head canon M is multiracial, as befits the third generation of a diplomatic family. In america she would be understood as either black or brown. I think the House of X portrayal will become the canonical one, as it is her most important rol to date. I see there a darker north african, not a black person. But I totally understand if an american sees her as a black person. American view on race tends to be a lot less nuanced than it is in other places.

  9. #54
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    M at first was just brown. With no particular black features. She could have easily been understood as your average arab/berber girl. Back in the day I assumed she was just the daughter of a pied noir and some rich local family. Which would not have been black, because being black in Algeria is pretty harsh. The chances of a royal being black there are slim. Unlike Sunspot and Storm, who are consistently portrayed as way lighter than they should, with M you could make the case that her actual race was never stablished. Something like this should be obvious, but american comics tend to be really bad at depicting ethnicity. Like it is 2019 and Storm in the X-men previews looks like a white woman painted black. In my head canon M is multiracial, as befits the third generation of a diplomatic family. In america she would be understood as either black or brown. I think the House of X portrayal will become the canonical one, as it is her most important rol to date. I see there a darker north african, not a black person. But I totally understand if an american sees her as a black person. American view on race tends to be a lot less nuanced than it is in other places.

    Less nuanced LMAO.. Black Americans understand the material conditions upon which race shapes their lives very well. There is a such thing as multiracial Black people. Also its funny the only time we have to do these leaps and justifications are for justification of who is black or not.. Why not keep this same energy for white people? This premise of a quarter this and quarter that makes the assumption that white people are 100% white. Monet is Black on period.

  10. #55
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is her granddad.

    so with all this quarter this and a quarter that.. Why can he be a quarter of something that is not white?

  11. #56
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    so with all this quarter this and a quarter that.. Why can he be a quarter of something that is not white?
    What is making you so mad about this? Unless you don’t know the character’s history you’d know her ethnic background.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  12. #57
    Spectacular Member Leirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Less nuanced LMAO.. Black Americans understand the material conditions upon which race shapes their lives very well. There is a such thing as multiracial Black people. Also its funny the only time we have to do these leaps and justifications are for justification of who is black or not.. Why not keep this same energy for white people? This premise of a quarter this and quarter that makes the assumption that white people are 100% white. Monet is Black on period.
    With less nuanced I meant that americans tend to divide everyone into black and white. That is not exactly the same in every country out there. As an example, I would never say "multiracial black people". Multiracial is multiracial. Like, in Brazil someone multiracial would be a pardo. In the states that same person would be black. That is not something bad is just different. I never said that M was white. In fact, I suspect that the grandad was intended as north african, not white. I was born in front of Morocco, plenty of my friends have berber ethnicity, and for me it was cool to have M representing them. It felt familiar. Her grandad even looks like the former leader of the Frente Polisario. I have no problem with her being black, in fact I just said I am sure for an american she would register as black. Plenty of arab-berber people would.

  13. #58
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is her granddad.

    was it ever confirmed that was her grandad and not just some dude with the same last name?


    Ugh whyyyy? People seem to wanna work in real world logic when it comes to dismissing black characters but willing to accept all kinds of De-Aging, CryoFreezing, Infinity Gem/Gel/Drinks before a black Magneto
    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    M at first was just brown. With no particular black features. She could have easily been understood as your average arab/berber girl. Back in the day I assumed she was just the daughter of a pied noir and some rich local family.
    uhhh she had brown skin and curly hair and full lips... there's NO mention of her place of birth only that shes coming to Xavier's from Monaco


    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Which would not have been black, because being black in Algeria is pretty harsh. The chances of a royal being black there are slim.
    Again doesn't say sh!t about Algeria buuuut here's an interesting piece of info...

    Basically the prince of Monaco has a lovechild with a flight attendant he met making that black kid a descendant of Monaco royalty. it's not Algeria but lots of people are under the impression it's more likely an actual Mutant would be born than a person like M to exist in real life So it seems it's not impossible 🤔🤔

    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Unlike Sunspot and Storm, who are consistently portrayed as way lighter than they should, with M you could make the case that her actual race was never stablished.
    Not sure what they gotta do to establish her race....dont recall Husk or Magma having to show their ancestry.com results to prove they're white

    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Something like this should be obvious, but american comics tend to be really bad at depicting ethnicity. Like it is 2019 and Storm in the X-men previews looks like a white woman painted black. In my head canon M is multiracial, as befits the third generation of a diplomatic family. In america she would be understood as either black or brown. I think the House of X portrayal will become the canonical one, as it is her most important rol to date. I see there a darker north african, not a black person. But I totally understand if an american sees her as a black person. American view on race tends to be a lot less nuanced than it is in other places.
    Yeah something like this should be obvious but as I keep getting reminded XFans can be quite conservative when it comes to certain subjects
    GrindrStone(D)

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Algerian isn't a race. Gotta get a nre narrative there. Race isn't as confusing when people learn the difference between that nationality,, culture, and religion. Lol Same ignorance that has people calling Lucy x Ricky an interracial couple. Lol
    You went the wrong angle on this okay Monet is "biracial". I got this one. This is Tyson Beckford and his Chinese-Jamaican mom



    So guess what Tyson Beckford grandfather looks like, I don't know why we have to do a genetics lesson for something so simple Monet has dark skin. That is her original presentation if Scott Lobdell didn't do his research when creating the character that is not our fault and speaks to why more minority creators should be a part of the process. I have zero problems admitting Monet does not look like what people in the area of the world looks like and if they were creating Monet today yeah she would be lighter. If Marvel had the gumption to come forward to say in the creating of this character we made a mistake this is how she should have been presented and moving forward this how she would look like I would be fine with that BUT that is not the case Monet for years was presented a certain color. In the real world, your grandfather can be whole other complexion/skin color and you, on the other hand, don't have that skin color




    You can be "biracial" with dark skin similar to people who aren't "biracial". So lets put the grandad thing to bed right now

  15. #60
    Spectacular Member Leirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    was it ever confirmed that was her grandad and not just some dude with the same last name?


    Ugh whyyyy? People seem to wanna work in real world logic when it comes to dismissing black characters but willing to accept all kinds of De-Aging, CryoFreezing, Infinity Gem/Gel/Drinks before a black Magneto
    uhhh she had brown skin and curly hair and full lips... there's NO mention of her place of birth only that shes coming to Xavier's from Monaco



    Again doesn't say sh!t about Algeria buuuut here's an interesting piece of info...

    Basically the prince of Monaco has a lovechild with a flight attendant he met making that black kid a descendant of Monaco royalty. it's not Algeria but lots of people are under the impression it's more likely an actual Mutant would be born than a person like M to exist in real life So it seems it's not impossible 🤔🤔


    Not sure what they gotta do to establish her race....dont recall Husk or Magma having to show their ancestry.com results to prove they're white

    Yeah something like this should be obvious but as I keep getting reminded XFans can be quite conservative when it comes to certain subjects
    You know, that is exactly what I mean. I see a girl with curly hair, green eyes and brown skin, coming from Morocco and I assume directly that she is intended to be arab-berber (magrebi, as we would call them in Spain). I understand if watching the same image an american thinks she is a black girl. I do not think either of us would be necessarily wrong. The thing is, there has been exactly one character in x-men history with that ethnicity, and I kind of liked that M was the second one. But again, I have no problem with her being black. It is just that I always assumed she was magrebi. It did not help that I remembered her grandfather being somewhat white. And yes, I remembered the grandfather because he showed up in a pretty cool issue where Storm tells Xavier not ever ask her again to steal for him. Back then several members of Gen X were being introduced (Like Paige over in younghunt) and having M related to a member of the Xavier Underground seemed pretty cool. Not that anyone ever did anything with it.

    Coming back to Marius, he is back in circulation. Would you all like to see him back in his human form or do you think his spiky look is a basic part of the character?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •