Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There's nothing wrong with the Reborn suit - I liked it (and the Rebirth suit) quite a bit... but nothing beats the original.

And Batman even got his little Bat-panties back (which I say only because this never seems to get thrown at Batman), so it seems to be back in fashion ("in universe," anyway).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

If they are going to get rid of the trunks, I think they need to do something with the blue to break it up more. Even a larger belt doesn't quite work. I liked the Smallville Season 11 costume quite a bit (and it showed up in Amanda Conner's fortress in that Batman dream issue as well) that had the two tone blue. It makes it look less like a onesie which is still a problem even with the Reborn costume.

Anyone who suggests a collar should be driven out into the wilderness and left to fend for themselves. The collars were the dumbest addition. Jim Lee's design choices just always seem dated.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hey... the Rebirth suit was my all time favorite. The most common complaints I see are the all blue and being a "one piece." but the latter just isn't true, it's the same composition of his traditional costume with a sleeker belt. That comment is more accurately aimed at the Flash. Flash is also all red where Superman is all blue... but you know, they call him big blue. Not "big balanced primary." you look at red, blue, black, orange, gold, green, and silver dots and you can immediately recognize the league, despite a lack of secondary colors.

The cuffs were a good design element because they would draw your eyes and colorists could play with the lighting effects on them.

I really don't have a problem with the traditional costume even if it is very out of date. I think the trunks make the tights look better whether they're red or blue. They shouldn't have added the cuffs though, it seems like trying to have it both ways with a passive gesture that many artists don't seem to appreciate.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

And that's the point, it's highly out of date. It's not timeless. Pkus given that his rogues gallery is more powerful now, shouldn't have a costume better than something made on a sewing machine lol?

Hell I like most all trunksless iterations, I'm even a fan of the New 52 suit which is not a popular opinion (it only ever needed to lose the high collar). So I'd be fine with Reborn or another new design. That said, I've never hated the classic design nor will I ever. At the same time though I do think the importance of trunks across the board are overstated.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    And that's the point, it's highly out of date. It's not timeless. Pkus given that his rogues gallery is more powerful now, shouldn't have a costume better than something made on a sewing machine lol?
    There's a cool juxtaposition to it, though: the being who's arguably the most powerful man on the planet has a costume made by his mother. It shows the contrast between others' perception of him and his perception of himself, and why he has a more "classic" approach to what he does vs what other heroes might.

I think there's too much of a "fashion police" narrative that's thrown at Superman when DC/etc should really be positioning what he wears as part of his personality - something like the "Johnny Cash" of superheroes: neither in nor out of fashion, he's just "him". There's a lot of potential in that, if they'd learn how to market it properly.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    There's a cool juxtaposition to it, though: the being who's arguably the most powerful man on the planet has a costume made by his mother. It shows the contrast between others' perception of him and his perception of himself, and why he has a more "classic" approach to what he does vs what other heroes might.

I think there's too much of a "fashion police" narrative that's thrown at Superman when DC/etc should really be positioning what he wears as part of his personality - something like the "Johnny Cash" of superheroes: neither in nor out of fashion, he's just "him". There's a lot of potential in that, if they'd learn how to market it properly.
    Take into consideration his weakness to magic, for example, a well trained Shazam or Black Adam can mess him up pretty good with lightning. Shouldn't he have a Kryptonian suit to fight that? Instead he shows up with red undies and gets smoked lol.

Fantastic Member

I have to agree!! It's time to move on from the old look!! The rebirth or new 52 costume!! I been reading SM comics since I was about six and that was in the 60's! It's time for a change!! Nobody dresses the same forever!! People don't dress the same as they did in the 60's, the 70's, so on and so on. Let give superman a more updated look! It's about time!!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If they are going to get rid of the trunks, I think they need to do something with the blue to break it up more. Even a larger belt doesn't quite work. I liked the Smallville Season 11 costume quite a bit (and it showed up in Amanda Conner's fortress in that Batman dream issue as well) that had the two tone blue. It makes it look less like a onesie which is still a problem even with the Reborn costume.

Anyone who suggests a collar should be driven out into the wilderness and left to fend for themselves. The collars were the dumbest addition. Jim Lee's design choices just always seem dated.
    This is what I would prefer. If you're going to ditch the trunks, replace them with something that compensates for all that blue. Smallville, in my mind, is the only trunkless costume that worked because it did more than just get rid of the trunks, it actually replaced them with something. I giant belt is not a real replacement. This is probably my second or third favorite costume of all time.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Hell I like most all trunksless iterations, I'm even a fan of the New 52 suit which is not a popular opinion (it only ever needed to lose the high collar). So I'd be fine with Reborn or another new design. That said, I've never hated the classic design nor will I ever. At the same time though I do think the importance of trunks across the board are overstated.
    You liked the lines? Even more than the collar those things drove me crazy. What was the point of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Alas, I doubt we'll see the Reborn suit again, outside of easter egg shots of it hanging on a wall in the Fortress.
    It lives on in animation. JLA, YJ, and the DC Animated movies basically have it as their Superman design.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the Reborn suit - I liked it (and the Rebirth suit) quite a bit... but nothing beats the original.

And Batman even got his little Bat-panties back (which I say only because this never seems to get thrown at Batman), so it seems to be back in fashion ("in universe," anyway).
    This was really something along the lines of what I think about the return of the classic costume. After they switched back we saw Wolverine get the Byrne costume largely discarded in 1992, Cap America revert back to classic, and the Batman, king of superheroes, went pre 52 with his own trunks right next door. But Superman gets no credit.

The classic costume has that juxtaposition you mention, but there's also a cool element of the artist perspective being lost to time. The design doesn't make sense to modern readers and that's pretty interesting.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Damn I loved the Smallville Season 11 costume. My favourite trunksless variant until the Reborn suit. Also agreed on the collars.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 09-16-2019 at 12:17 PM.

No thank you, I like the trunks. It is the iconic look for Superman and I don't think it needs to be changed.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I love the Reborn costume and liked the Rebirth one too. I wouldn't mind seeing it come back. It was a strong balance of maintaining classic design sensibilities of the Superman costume whilst streamlining it without the trunks to provide colour balance. I could have lived it with it for a while longer. But I can't say I want it to fully replace the trunks. There's just something classic that simply works in the beautiful simplicity of the Superman suit. I don't buy the 'red diapers are for nostalgic old people' argument. I'm in my mid 20s and I've always loved the trunks look for Superman.