Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fish Mooney in comics?

Has there ever been any discussion of bringing Gotham's Fish Mooney into the comics? She was a pretty interesting character that I think could do well in the comics. Other characters like Harley Quinn and Renne Montoya made the transition from tv to comic, so there is precedent.

if she were to get brought in, it would take a really good writer to take the zaniness of Gotham and translate it without translating the campy corniness of that universe. I would rather a character exist in just outside than be translated poorly and wastefully fall to obscurity.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if she were to get brought in, it would take a really good writer to take the zaniness of Gotham and translate it without translating the campy corniness of that universe. I would rather a character exist in just outside than be translated poorly and wastefully fall to obscurity.
    I can understand that.
    I think it goes without saying that I want her to be well written if she's used.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think I'd rather have the campy corniness than the edge-lord "Year of the Villain" stuff going on.

I don't know if Fish Mooney was popular enough to need to be adapted into the comics. I guess if we need a female crime boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if Fish Mooney was popular enough to need to be adapted into the comics. I guess if we need a female crime boss?
    I really am not sure how popular she is. I know I really love her.
    I think Gotham could use, not just a female crime boss, but her specifically. She has a strong interesting personality and potential for good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I really am not sure how popular she is. I know I really love her.
    I think Gotham could use, not just a female crime boss, but her specifically. She has a strong interesting personality and potential for good stories.
    That's fair. I'm not sure if that could be conveyed as well on the comics page with different writers and without Jada Pinkett-Smith's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's fair. I'm not sure if that could be conveyed as well on the comics page with different writers and without Jada Pinkett-Smith's performance.
    Jada's performances were strong, but I think the character would work in a comic. She had a role in the Gotham prequel novel and I thought the character worked there. It all depends on the writer, of course, but that's true for every character.

Has there ever been any discussion of bringing Gotham's Fish Mooney into the comics? She was a pretty interesting character that I think could do well in the comics. Other characters like Harley Quinn and Renne Montoya made the transition from tv to comic, so there is precedent.
    I could see a character being called Fish Mooney, based loosely on the Gothma Tv show. But I don't think it would be an iconic character. At the end of the day, she would be a female crime boss. Might get a larger storyline in Batgirl.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I could see a character being called Fish Mooney, based loosely on the Gothma Tv show. But I don't think it would be an iconic character. At the end of the day, she would be a female crime boss. Might get a larger storyline in Batgirl.
    Funny enough, I had thought that she'd work well as a Batgirl villain.
    Whether the character took off or not would just depend on how well she was executed. No one involved with BTAS expected Harley Quinn to develop into one of DC's most popular characters when she was created.
    I don't expect she'd ever reach that level, but she could achieve a Renee Montoya level of success.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I only watched the first two seasons but liked her well enough...but I'd hardly call her campy, did something change later on?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I only watched the first two seasons but liked her well enough...but I'd hardly call her campy, did something change later on?
    No, I think her performance was the same. If you didn't think she was campy I don't think you would change your mind.
    I think she gave great performances, but she could go over the top, in a way that suited the show. It's that operatic larger than life quality that I'm calling campy.

Incredible Member

Hope not and no thank you.
    She was a main reason (there were a lot) I stopped watching the show.
    I'm also of the school of using villains you have. Gotham has a lot. Take exsting ones and re-invent them/ write them better.
    We do not want another instance of "Jokers Daughter"...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

No, I think her performance was the same. If you didn't think she was campy I don't think you would change your mind.
    I think she gave great performances, but she could go over the top, in a way that suited the show. It's that operatic larger than life quality that I'm calling campy.
    I don't think you're using the right term then, the villains in the Adam West show were solidly camp...nothing I saw on Gotham was anything even remotely similar to that.
    I could see her performance being characterized as hyper-realism in that it was trying to make a totally unrealistic and cartoony mob boss seem gritty and "real" in much the same way Nolan tried to make the idea of a Bat-themed vigilante seem plausible in his films but that's much different than camp. To be campy it has to contain an element os satire to it, a knowing and purposeful wink saying,"Hey, we know this is isn't real." and I never saw that in Gotham.

I don't think the show was as successful at doing what it set out to do, but it never went in for camp.

Spectacular Member

I could see her used as a prominent gang boss in the past, like maybe around Batman's first couple of years as a contemporary of Falcone and Maroni. In the present, the character would have a harder time standing out, though cameos are always possible.