Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Good one. The original also helped to inspire the Spider-Girl series, which I've been enjoying through the new reprints.

Maybe a not quite the same, but the USM Ultimatum tie-ins were pretty good, even if the main event was reviled. Also agree that RYV was a nice perk from the OMD situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    To the utmost, I agree. A very succinct summary, WebSlingWonder.
    Thank you, friends!

Astonishing Member

Spectacular Spider-Man #200 led to Spider-Man Legacy of Evil.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man #200 led to Spider-Man Legacy of Evil.
    What do you mean? Spec #200 is one of the best Spidey stories ever.

Anyway, Norman Osborn had a bunch of great stories post-return, which might not have occurred if he wasn't brought back to life.

'Spider-Man: The Final Adventure' was a great story about Peter in Portland, which wouldn't have happened if not for him moving there and "quitting" being Spidey.

ASM #400 was a result of a very maudlin time in Peter's life when Aunt May had been in a coma for months.

Spider-Girl was a direct result of the clone saga.

Amazing Member

The new creative team from Brand New Day is a great refresh that came after One More Day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mago dos Gatos View Post
    The new creative team from Brand New Day is a great refresh that came after One More Day.
    I agree.

I don’t know anyone that likes OMD(for good reason), but I’ll defend BND with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Spider-Island drew its main villain from an, uh, little-loved arc of Paul Jenkins' Spectacular Spider-Man.
    Huh, and here I thought that Spider-Queen was from JMS' run, explains why Peter went through two power ups at least, I thought it was a "JMS wasn't satisfied with the previous power up, so he made The Other to give some more" lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Huh, and here I thought that Spider-Queen was from JMS' run, explains why Peter went through two power ups at least, I thought it was a "JMS wasn't satisfied with the previous power up, so he made The Other to give some more" lol.
    A little history.... The Queen storyline (“Changes”?) was even worse than “The Other”, which itself was pretty bad. For some reason, the comics thought they had to copy the Raimi films organic webs characteristic. At the time, they said some baloney about new readers being confused if Spidey’s webs are mechanical in comics and organic in the films. This was ridiculous as no one would’ve cared... it’s just the webs. So anyway, this mess of a story was the editorially mandated response to that concern and the responsibility for seeing it through was given to Paul Jenkins. Jenkins was already burned out at this point as well. When we think of his great stories, they all happened a couple years before this came out. So editorial mandate plus a writer who was clearly showing signs of burn out gave us this doozy. Then of course for some reason they gave us “The Other” a year or so later, which seemed super redundant as it was almost the same story even down to Peter “dying” and emerging from some spider being with new powers. The mid 00s even before OMD were not as good as people think they remember.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-01-2019 at 12:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Then of course for some reason they gave us “The Other” a year or so later, which seemed super redundant as it was almost the same story even down to Peter “dying” and emerging from some spider being with new powers.
    According to JMS recently, The Other was editorially mandated too. JMS didn't want to bring Morlun back for that.

The mid 00s even before OMD were not as good as people think they remember.
    I re-read that era recently and I think it's more consistent than people remember. In the case of JMS, his run had two parts, the one with JRJR and the one after that. There's not a bad issue in the JMS/JRJR run. The first story after JRJR left though...well it's Sins' Past. And then you had the Spider-Family at Avengers Tower stuff that led into Civil War. Some of the stuff here is good, but then you have The Other which isn't all that good. And then the Civil War tie-ins that lead into Back in Black and Back in Black itself are a return to form. The thing with JMS is that most of his run was consistent and very good but Sins' Past and The Other are weak parts that became emblematic of a down-turn.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    A little history.... The Queen storyline (“Changes”?) was even worse than “The Other”, which itself was pretty bad. For some reason, the comics thought they had to copy the Raimi films organic webs characteristic. At the time, they said some baloney about new readers being confused if Spidey’s webs are mechanical in comics and organic in the films. This was ridiculous as no one would’ve cared... it’s just the webs. So anyway, this mess of a story was the editorially mandated response to that concern and the responsibility for seeing it through was given to Paul Jenkins. Jenkins was already burned out at this point as well. When we think of his great stories, they all happened a couple years before this came out. So editorial mandate plus a writer who was clearly showing signs of burn out gave us this doozy. Then of course for some reason they gave us “The Other” a year or so later, which seemed super redundant as it was almost the same story even down to Peter “dying” and emerging from some spider being with new powers. The mid 00s even before OMD were not as good as people think they remember.
    I always imagined that the organic webs was editorial mandate, it honestly just felt like it, but I thought it was just synergy, not a "new readers are too stupid to understand that there are differences between movie and comics!" situation lol.

And the similarity between both stories is why I thought they were made by JMS lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    According to JMS recently, The Other was editorially mandated too. JMS didn't want to bring Morlun back for that.
    Hm, wonder if both were from the same editor, 'cause if so the guy's certainly repetitive.

Wonder what was the point of that, did someone really want Peter to have those dumbass spikes? Telling the same-ish story twice is questionable too, could just say that his powers were evolving, and that it'd stop at that point, sure, it'd suck ass, but at least the same story wouldn't be told again so excuse more power ups...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I always imagined that the organic webs was editorial mandate, it honestly just felt like it, but I thought it was just synergy, not a "new readers are too stupid to understand that there are differences between movie and comics!" situation lol.

And the similarity between both stories is why I thought they were made by JMS lol.

Hm, wonder if both were from the same editor, 'cause if so the guy's certainly repetitive.

Wonder what was the point of that, did someone really want Peter to have those dumbass spikes? Telling the same-ish story twice is questionable too, could just say that his powers were evolving, and that it'd stop at that point, sure, it'd suck ass, but at least the same story wouldn't be told again so excuse more power ups...
    The spikes worked better for Kaine, who is not nearly so friendly neighborhood as Peter Parker.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The spikes worked better for Kaine, who is not nearly so friendly neighborhood as Peter Parker.
    Yeah, they also helped to make his power set stand out more, too bad it's gone now.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, they also helped to make his power set stand out more, too bad it's gone now.
    Another thing that we can curse Spider-Verse for.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I don't agree at all with bringing Norman Osborn back, but it did bring us Dark Reign which did wonders to show just how awful the heroes had been acting at the time. Though you'd think they'd have learned from the experience.
    Oh yes! Including the great Thunderbolts by Ellis/Deodato and the good New Ways to Die arc by Slott/Romita Jr.