Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I thought it Archer undercover
    It is straight up Tom Selleck. Even has the Detroit Tigers cap. Bruce's rug is nowhere near as impressive though lol.

As I read the King run, which I enjoy the heck out of, I wonder just how much fun it is to HATE it.

This board is in no way representative of fandom generally, which is pretty much equal parts love it/hate it/agnostic about it.

Some of y'all must be on a mission. Is it really that much fun to bash a run on Batman? Cause that seems kind of sad.

It's not like I don't get down on other things in my life but where it comes to comics I really only have time to post about what I'm loving. And King's Batman, among all the 50 years I've been reading Batman, is something I love in an unprecedented way.

Maybe it's just because I'm old (I'm 50 which means I've been reading Batman comics for about 45 years) but this is, to me, the most extraordinary Batman run of all time.And the questions being explored in this run have never been explored before.

Mileage will vary and I don't need anyone else to feel the way that I do but the vitriol here, I guess waiting for Tomasi's mediocre Detective to win the day... It just makes me sad for the rest of y'all. Over and over the thought I have is that people are angry with an apple for being bad at being a banana. In other words at being bad at something you're used to.

King's run on Batman is brave and bold. I understand not digging it. I don't at all understand bashing it with all one's might.

Maybe it has to do with youth? I'm certainly not youthful. I've been reading Batman books for 45 years at least.

For me, I've never enjoyed bashing a comic I don't like or love. I only have time to weigh in on those comics I do love. And King's Batman ranks for me like probably no other DC story before.

I don't mean to scold anyone. Everyone has their own opinions and that's what these boards are for..

Personally I just honestly can't imagine spending so much time (and vitriol) on something I hate. I ignore the things I hate and post about the things I love. But that's just be.

Y'all keep on keeping on. I guess.

But King doesn't do anything "brave and bold", never done before. There is plenty of comics, Batman or otherwise, which do what he does.

If I want a story of a Batman who's breaking down and destroying his legacy and Gotham in the process, I have Batman : White Knight and now Batman : Curse of the White Knight which also explore those themes in a better and more coherent way, without dragging it into endless fillers.

If I want a complex and sometimes apparently incoherent story but in truth it all fits ? I have Deathstroke under Priest, who outdo every attempt of King to do just that.

The only thing I may not have is a main-universe Bat/Cat romance, but King's writing and choices have made me hate this pairing. I can't stand the two of them together, no matter how voyeurist the comics are - in fact, it makes it worst, because it's blatantly obvious that they just have a sort of primal sexual attraction and don't work at all together as an healthy couple. There is really something extremely unhealthy about how all they have is their sexuality and great drawings which veers toward the fetishism more than anything else.

Furthermore, King being on Batman, the main book, has a bleeding effect on the whole line. Nightwing was destroyed because King couldn't be bothered to actually have something fitting down to Dick. I don't care that he wasn't the one pushing for more Ric, he was the one pushing for Dick being shot and then have it hand-waved the next issue. it is worst in my book, because it shows the lack of interest he had in Dick as a character.

Today, the best Bat-themed books are those where Batman is almost or entirely absent because the character in it are considered peripherals to him and his main series: Red Hood, the Outsiders and Batgirl. Detective hasn't been great -it's really dull since the Arkham Knight arc ended, really- but at least it isn't infuriating like King, who clearly doesn't care much for coherence or internal logic in his run.

It started before him, of course, but he has accelerated Batman's sickness. This corner of the DCU is not well. It is not well when I can't stand Bruce as a respectable human being, when he is portrayed as an incompetent and pathetic buffoon, a man-child with tamper tantrums and who needs to have a girl to actually be a somewhat able crime-fighter - but still the Worst Dad Ever. There is a problem when Bruce isn't the appealing factor for me to read Bat-themed books, but instead a repellent.

BANNED

With each issue and Bane's continued absence I am constantly wondering what is he doing while all of this goes down. Is he meditating in the cellar of Wayne Manor? Is he being visited by Banemares courtesy of flashpoint Batman who has him captive? Is he contemplating breaking everyone's backs? WHAT IS HE DOING?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    With each issue and Bane's continued absence I am constantly wondering what is he doing while all of this goes down. Is he meditating in the cellar of Wayne Manor? Is he being visited by Banemares courtesy of flashpoint Batman who has him captive? Is he contemplating breaking everyone's backs? WHAT IS HE DOING?
    What he's doing in Santa Prisca. Trying to be happy with Psycho Pirate.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Because if you want to punch Bane and his master plan in the face, it’s much easier to do so without his strength advantage.
    But he wasn't using that advantage in the first place. Bane beat Bruce without it. That's an incredinby dumb "key" to stop him. And Gotham Girl is a greater physical threat than Bane anyway.
    Last edited by Ansa; 09-19-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    I hope he is taking care of Damian's pets. Someone has to take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    But he wasn't using that advantage in the first place. Bane beat Bruce without it. That's an incredinby dumb "key" to stop him. And Gotham Girl is a greater physical threat than Bane anyway.
    Bruce was barely standing when they fought, worn out by being trapped and being infused with fear gas. While a formidable oponnent for sure, Bruce can under normal circumstances handle bane off venom.

Fair point about Gotham girl, we'll see.
    Last edited by bat1987; 09-19-2019 at 07:19 AM.

I hope he is taking care of Damian's pets. Someone has to take care of them.
    You can take out Alfred. You can kidnap Damian. But so help me, if you harm Bat Cow......
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    You can take out Alfred. You can kidnap Damian. But so help me, if you harm Bat Cow......
    What are you talking about? Batcow will be the one to take out Bane and Thomas for hurting her boy. She is the hero the city needs.

BANNED

What are you talking about? Batcow will be the one to take out Bane and Thomas for hurting her boy. She is the hero the city needs.
    Lol hilarious reply.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    As I read the King run, which I enjoy the heck out of, I wonder just how much fun it is to HATE it.

This board is in no way representative of fandom generally, which is pretty much equal parts love it/hate it/agnostic about it.

Some of y'all must be on a mission. Is it really that much fun to bash a run on Batman? Cause that seems kind of sad.

It's not like I don't get down on other things in my life but where it comes to comics I really only have time to post about what I'm loving. And King's Batman, among all the 50 years I've been reading Batman, is something I love in an unprecedented way.

Maybe it's just because I'm old (I'm 50 which means I've been reading Batman comics for about 45 years) but this is, to me, the most extraordinary Batman run of all time.And the questions being explored in this run have never been explored before.

Mileage will vary and I don't need anyone else to feel the way that I do but the vitriol here, I guess waiting for Tomasi's mediocre Detective to win the day... It just makes me sad for the rest of y'all. Over and over the thought I have is that people are angry with an apple for being bad at being a banana. In other words at being bad at something you're used to.

King's run on Batman is brave and bold. I understand not digging it. I don't at all understand bashing it with all one's might.

Maybe it has to do with youth? I'm certainly not youthful. I've been reading Batman books for 45 years at least.

For me, I've never enjoyed bashing a comic I don't like or love. I only have time to weigh in on those comics I do love. And King's Batman ranks for me like probably no other DC story before.

I don't mean to scold anyone. Everyone has their own opinions and that's what these boards are for..

Personally I just honestly can't imagine spending so much time (and vitriol) on something I hate. I ignore the things I hate and post about the things I love. But that's just be.

If you didn't want to scold anyone, understand that opinions differ then why are scolding and insulting the posters whose opinions vary from yours? You might not understand why some hate it but keep buying it. You don't have to. We all are different and that's fine.

You are right this board is for posting our feelings and there's two threads for King's Batman. the one strictly for those enjoying it so they can use that as a safe space. And this one that welcomes all. You don't ever even have to see these opinions that differ from yours if they bother you that much.
    It's seems rather unfair and insulting that those enjoying the run get a safe haven and yet you still feel the need to come here just to give us a scolding, drop some insults and accusations [Not even a word on ur thoughts on the issue] while saying that's not your intent.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

Laughing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    If you didn't want to scold anyone, understand that opinions differ then why are scolding and insulting the posters whose opinions vary from yours? You might not understand why some hate it but keep buying it. You don't have to. We all are different and that's fine.

You are right this board is for posting our feelings and there's two threads for King's Batman. the one strictly for those enjoying it so they can use that as a safe space. And this one that welcomes all. You don't ever even have to see these opinions that differ from yours if they bother you that much.
    It's seems rather unfair and insulting that those enjoying the run get a safe haven and yet you still feel the need to come here just to give us a scolding, drop some insults and accusations [Not even a word on ur thoughts on the issue] while saying that's not your intent.
    You're absolutely right. I rarely drink and when I do I rarely post anything on the internet but last night I did and I regret it. All apologies.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure if I would take that gamble. Thomas is insane after all.
    I think the fact that Damien's a child would've been enough for Thomas to want to keep Bane at arm's length from Damien. I mean, while he is obviously off kilter, Thomas does seem to have a moral code that he adheres to.

Bruce is also a grown man who's already had his back broken by Bane and healed. He was also convinced that being broken by Bane was the only way to make Bruce stop being Batman. Thomas seemed convinced that simply seeing Alfred killed in front of him was enough to do the same to Damien. Thomas may be crazy, but he seems to only do things for a reason.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.