Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    As I read the King run, which I enjoy the heck out of, I wonder just how much fun it is to HATE it.

This board is in no way representative of fandom generally, which is pretty much equal parts love it/hate it/agnostic about it.

Some of y'all must be on a mission. Is it really that much fun to bash a run on Batman? Cause that seems kind of sad.

It's not like I don't get down on other things in my life but where it comes to comics I really only have time to post about what I'm loving. And King's Batman, among all the 50 years I've been reading Batman, is something I love in an unprecedented way.

Maybe it's just because I'm old (I'm 50 which means I've been reading Batman comics for about 45 years) but this is, to me, the most extraordinary Batman run of all time.And the questions being explored in this run have never been explored before.

Mileage will vary and I don't need anyone else to feel the way that I do but the vitriol here, I guess waiting for Tomasi's mediocre Detective to win the day... It just makes me sad for the rest of y'all. Over and over the thought I have is that people are angry with an apple for being bad at being a banana. In other words at being bad at something you're used to.

King's run on Batman is brave and bold. I understand not digging it. I don't at all understand bashing it with all one's might.

Maybe it has to do with youth? I'm certainly not youthful. I've been reading Batman books for 45 years at least.

For me, I've never enjoyed bashing a comic I don't like or love. I only have time to weigh in on those comics I do love. And King's Batman ranks for me like probably no other DC story before.

I don't mean to scold anyone. Everyone has their own opinions and that's what these boards are for..

Personally I just honestly can't imagine spending so much time (and vitriol) on something I hate. I ignore the things I hate and post about the things I love. But that's just be.

Y'all keep on keeping on. I guess.
    Well, I will admit that King has written some excellent issues during his Batman run. The main problem with him, for me anyway, is that he isn't a writer who is suited for long-term storytelling. Shorter runs such as Mister Miracle and Vision required him to focus his writing and, for the most part, he kept it tight and on point. But his Batman run has suffered from going off on tangents that, while possibly relevant once all is said and done, derails the main narrative he is trying to tell.

I think his run will certainly read much better once its done. I've said that from the start.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Well, I will admit that King has written some excellent issues during his Batman run. The main problem with him, for me anyway, is that he isn't a writer who is suited for long-term storytelling. Shorter runs such as Mister Miracle and Vision required him to focus his writing and, for the most part, he kept it tight and on point. But his Batman run has suffered from going off on tangents that, while possibly relevant once all is said and done, derails the main narrative he is trying to tell.

I think his run will certainly read much better once its done. I've said that from the start.
    That's also why I think his Bat/Cat series has the potential to be really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    My sentiments exactly. King's Bruce, a terrible human being and a crappy/abusive father, gets a happy marriage and a baby as reward for being terrible for 85 issues...why? Or is he suddenly going to be the perfect parent for her? Because if he is, well lucky for the baby, sucks to be everyone else I guess.
    Well, you see, Selina is the woman he fell in love with, with whom he'll get the baby he wanted. The others are just stray or bastards, you see ? Obviously he can't show them real love, like he can his chosen family.

Or some crap of the sort. After all, he didn't even mention Damian in Annual 2, if I remember right (I may be wrong here, however).

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, you see, Selina is the woman he fell in love with, with whom he'll get the baby he wanted. The others are just stray or bastards, you see ? Obviously he can't show them real love, like he can his chosen family.

Or some crap of the sort. After all, he didn't even mention Damian in Annual 2, if I remember right (I may be wrong here, however).
    You are correct. Damian was missing. After King was pressed repeatedly he then said the Blond haired guy in the shot was Damian which is the lamest thing. Apparently Damian had his reasons for dying his hair.

Cass who used to be Bruce's adopted daughter was also missing.

DC has been doing some bad things with the Batfamily of late but the sudden need to trend by writers to disavow adopted family is really putrid.

They did it in nightwing just this week. Stating that adopted families aren't real Families.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    You are correct. Damian was missing. After King was pressed repeatedly he then said the Blond haired guy in the shot was Damian which is the lamest thing. Apparently Damian had his reasons for dying his hair.
    That was such a lame excuse. As if Damian would ever willingly dye his hair blonde.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    That's also why I think his Bat/Cat series has the potential to be really great.
    I think so as well. The only "short" run of his that i thought was a mess was HiC. If I remember correctly, he said well before it was released that it was roughly five issues in length. It was then revealed by DC as being seven when officially announced. It was later expanded to nine. If it had stayed at five, it would have been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    My sentiments exactly. King's Bruce, a terrible human being and a crappy/abusive father, gets a happy marriage and a baby as reward for being terrible for 85 issues...why? Or is he suddenly going to be the perfect parent for her? Because if he is, well lucky for the baby, sucks to be everyone else I guess.
    Yeah. I meant Helena Wayne, not Helena Kyle.

However, I'd like to clarify that I think Bruce was a crappy/abusive father long before King got a hold of him. It's sadly a long-term recurring thing. At least since the early post-COIE story where Bruce took in Jason as a replacement and told Dick to leave rather than discussing things with him, and very much heavier starting in the late 1990s and into the 2000s. Tim's 16th birthday, anyone. Admittedly, he wasn't actually Tim's father yet, so that was abusive mentor, but close enough, IMO. And how he treated both Tim and Steph when Steph was Robin.

I really really REALLY dont want or need another child for Bruce. He has enough children and family as it is. Batfamily is too bloated in general. Dont need yet another one added. And learning his wife/lover is expecting a child making him change his total outlook and quit his mission/ "job" to take better care of them is hilarious. Starting to read like a Lifetime Drama movie featuring Bruce Wayne. Here is hoping this is not where it is headed but learned to keep my expectations low.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
    I really really REALLY dont want or need another child for Bruce. He has enough children and family as it is. Batfamily is too bloated in general. Dont need yet another one added. And learning his wife/lover is expecting a child making him change his total outlook and quit his mission/ "job" to take better care of them is hilarious. Starting to read like a Lifetime Drama movie featuring Bruce Wayne. Here is hoping this is not where it is headed but learned to keep my expectations low.
    Oh I thought you were going for "he didn't retire when he had his first biological child" though to be fair that one's not a baby and already knew how to fight

Mighty Member

I feel differently

I want another child for Bruce.
    I always wanted Bruce and Selina have a biological child together.
    I never wanted Bruce to have a biological child together with another woman like he did with Talia.
    I never wanted Selina to have a biological child together with another man like she did with Slam Bradley Jr.

I would be very happy to Bruce and Selina to have biological daughter Helena Wayne in the main universe.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I'm okay with him having another biological kid.

I'm, however, very against the undertone of King' run where adopted and bastard children are very much relegated to the fringe, if not outright excluded from the family. I cannot help but feel that King really dislike Damian and Cassandra, for instance. The latter never appears, the former always is used in terrible situations which are used to belittle him or rile up the fans who already don't like it.

Added to that the atrocious way he has depicted the Bat/Cat relationship and I really hope someone -perhaps not Tynion but the guy or gal after him, will neatly clean up King's garbage by breaking this pairing and making sure there was no kid or anything. It was all just Bruce raving like the damn lunatic he is.

BANNED

At least he hasn't slapped Damian around the way he has decked Gordon and Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I feel differently

I want another child for Bruce.
    I always wanted Bruce and Selina have a biological child together.
    I never wanted Bruce to have a biological child together with another woman like he did with Talia.
    I never wanted Selina to have a biological child together with another man like she did with Slam Bradley Jr.

I would be very happy to Bruce and Selina to have biological daughter Helena Wayne in the main universe.
    Same, really. I've been wanting Helena Wayne to become canon for years. Partly because of the BatCat shipper in me, and partly because big brother Damian sound like it'd be the most hilariously adorable thing ever xD

That said, the way King hyped up BatCat as the most important thing I Bruce's life does make me feel kinda fearful about Helena suddenly becoming more precious to Bruce than all his other kids. Since this is the child he had with the woman he cares about more than them lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Respectfully disagree. I love Bat-Cow, though the main Bat-books are likely not the best place for her.
    As long as I don't have to acknowledge it's existence in any media I consume, it can appear anywhere it wants.

And as far as another kid is concerned, it can't be any worse than Damien.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 09-23-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm okay with him having another biological kid.

I'm, however, very against the undertone of King' run where adopted and bastard children are very much relegated to the fringe, if not outright excluded from the family. I cannot help but feel that King really dislike Damian and Cassandra, for instance. The latter never appears, the former always is used in terrible situations which are used to belittle him or rile up the fans who already don't like it.

Added to that the atrocious way he has depicted the Bat/Cat relationship and I really hope someone -perhaps not Tynion but the guy or gal after him, will neatly clean up King's garbage by breaking this pairing and making sure there was no kid or anything. It was all just Bruce raving like the damn lunatic he is.
    Same. Went from indifferent to against it because of King's writing.