Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Azrael Appreciation Thread! (2019)

With Jean-Paul in space, finishing up the storyline James Tynion started in Detective Comics:

AND forthcoming in Batman: Curse of the White Knight:

What better time to start an appreciation thread for 2019? Join in the appreciation of Jean-Paul Valley, the man, the myth, the AZBAT!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

My favorite Azrael artist: Joe Quesada
    azrael4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by k7p5v View Post
    my favorite azrael artist: Joe quesada
    azrael4.jpg
    iam vengeance! I am azrael!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Im just happy that you didnt misspell it Azreal, i see it everywhere and its annoying every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Im just happy that you didnt misspell it Azreal, i see it everywhere and its annoying every time.
    Huh, did not even realize. I just had the pictures to reference, so it didn't even occur to me to have another spelling.

BANNED

Azrael's Crusade as Azbat

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    Azrael's Crusade as Azbat
    Early Az, late Az!

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

It would be nice if these writers like Tynion and Williamson would get his personality and characterization right. Right now Williamson has him super confident and an almost fratboy-ish attitude, showing he clearly doesn't get the character. I'm hoping that by some sort of miracle this new 'Rapture' character ends up being the original JPV that died. I do have faith though that Sean Gordon Murphy will get him right, he seems to do be old school and actually does his research.
    It honestly kind of sucks that these newer writers keep putting him in his batsuit instead of letting him be Azrael. Clear sign they didn't bother doing research :/
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post
    It would be nice if these writers like Tynion and Williamson would get his personality and characterization right. Right now Williamson has him super confident and an almost fratboy-ish attitude, showing he clearly doesn't get the character. I'm hoping that by some sort of miracle this new 'Rapture' character ends up being the original JPV that died. I do have faith though that Sean Gordon Murphy will get him right, he seems to do be old school and actually does his research.
    It honestly kind of sucks that these newer writers keep putting him in his batsuit instead of letting him be Azrael. Clear sign they didn't bother doing research :/
    I agree that Williamson's Jean-Paul is pretty frustrating. I hope Abnett does a more unique job with him. I thought Tynion was pretty fun, though. He got the gentle/sheer bombastic awesome contrast in several scenes.

Since he plays a large role in the book, I may as well share the preview for this week's issue of JLO

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Since he plays a large role in the book, I may as well share the preview for this week's issue of JLO
    Love the art by Carmine! I'm glad we have a new permanent art team, but I'm kinda bummed that it wasn't him.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

How good was Jean Paul Valley's original solo series? If one didn't enjoy the Quesada penciled debut of the character, would they still like the ongoing?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    How good was Jean Paul Valley's original solo series? If one didn't enjoy the Quesada penciled debut of the character, would they still like the ongoing?
    There were a few lulls, mainly when they changed his costume twice during No Man's Land. They started flirting with the supernatural; werewolves, vampires, some really odd stuff. What was cool was his interaction with the Batgirls, Barbara and Cassandra. Thing is, O'Neal wrote him with a personality that was almost relatable. He was a shy kid trying to find his place into a world he was kind of thrown into. Everything leading up to No Man's land was cool, everything after it progressively got better when they kind of reintegrated him back into the batfamily storylines where he kind of fit. Quesada didn't do the art for the solo series, but Barry Kitson did a killer job.

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post
    There were a few lulls, mainly when they changed his costume twice during No Man's Land. They started flirting with the supernatural; werewolves, vampires, some really odd stuff. What was cool was his interaction with the Batgirls, Barbara and Cassandra. Thing is, O'Neal wrote him with a personality that was almost relatable. He was a shy kid trying to find his place into a world he was kind of thrown into. Everything leading up to No Man's land was cool, everything after it progressively got better when they kind of reintegrated him back into the batfamily storylines where he kind of fit. Quesada didn't do the art for the solo series, but Barry Kitson did a killer job.
    The thing that's always held me back from reading more about Azrael in his solo is...the ending sounds really down. What's your thoughts on how it wrapped up?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    The thing that's always held me back from reading more about Azrael in his solo is...the ending sounds really down. What's your thoughts on how it wrapped up?
    I never made friends with the ending. That last issue seemed rushed. The ten leading up to it felt that way. SPOILER He re-donned the bat suit (which was modeled after an action figure by the way), went against some rogues, beat the whole batfamily, almost killed Bruce in hand to hand combat (which was super cool by the way), became a kind of celebrated hero only to find that his health was giving way and came full circle by getting shot dead in a similar way as his father. It always bugged me until a few years ago when I read an interview with Denny where he said how that story and character was kind of his last and referred to it as 'art imitating life' as he was having health issues himself at the time. That being why he did what he did.