Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Selina in purple yoga pants
    ::sigh:: More color-coding of civilian garb.

spoilers:
    Also, did they just totally sweep away the entire street/beach first-meeting issue that some thought would be important?
    end of spoilers

Full disclosure - did not read issue, just read here and heard what sister told me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-18-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Honestly, isolated from everything else, it's a rather good issue.

There is some elements I still find cringe-inducing (Selina and Bruce don't work together for me anymore at all, and that issue I find highlighted it) and yet King absurdedly put her on a pedestal compared to every other character in Bruce's life, for instance. But that's really minor nitpicking and a matter of taste.

However, in the whole run, it shows how utterly uninteresting the whole street/boat "discussion" truly was, when people had devised its meaning long ago and it's basically just a way for King to stroke his ego with the last page.

spoilers:
    "We met on the beach, Tom King wrote our first meeting ever!", basically
    end of spoilers

As for the larger connection to City of Bane...

spoilers:
    Bruce's also the worst father ever and incredibly dumb, but Alfred truly takes the cake in sheer imbecility here. Why would you send just Damian instead of him plus Tim plus Huntress, Orphan and Signal, who were all here to see Batman punch Tim but also be proven right ? How does it make sense to just send the youngest -if extremely gifted warrior- of the Bat-Family ? Cass could probably handle Flashpoint Batman by herself, Duke could have been used to try and talk some sense in Claire once she was caught, and if need be, Huntress could also have hurt Thomas real bad, while Tim went into the Manor to free Alfred.
    end of spoilers

Anyway.

It's not the worst issue of King's run.
    Last edited by Korath; 09-18-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honestly, isolated from everything else, it's a rather good issue.

There is some elements I still find cringe-inducing (Selina and Bruce don't work together for me anymore at all, and that issue I find highlighted it) and yet King absurdedly put her on a pedestal compared to every other character in Bruce's life, for instance. But that's really minor nitpicking and a matter of taste.

However, in the whole run, it shows how utterly uninteresting the whole street/boat "discussion" truly was, when people had devised its meaning long ago and it's basically just a way for King to stroke his ego with the last page.

spoilers:
    "We met on the beach, Tom King wrote our first meeting ever!", basically
    end of spoilers

As for the larger connection to City of Bane...

spoilers:
    Bruce's also the worst father ever and incredible dumb, but Alfred truly takes the cake in sheer imbecility here. Why would you send just Damian instead of him plus Tim plus Huntress, Orphan and Signal, who were all here to see Batman punch Tim but also be proven right ? How does it make sense to just send the youngest -if extremely gifted warrior- of the Bat-Family ? Cass could probably handle Flashpoint Batman by herself, Duke could have been used to try and talk some sense in Claire once she was caught, and if need be, Huntress could also have hurt Thomas real bad, while Tim went into the Manor to free Alfred.
    end of spoilers

Anyway.

It's not the worst issue of King's run.
    spoilers:
    I think the plan was for Damian enter the city, take out Gotham Girl very quickly before she could alert anyone and then stealthily sneak into the manor to get Alfred. More people would make infiltrating the manor a lot more difficult and would arguably increase the danger Alfred is in since if they were all noticed he would die anyway.

Duke talking down Gotham Girl would be a good idea and probably will happen but it wouldn't be quiet and there would not really be anyway for him to do it without Bane or Flash-point Batman being alerted.

As soon as Bane had Alfred hostage his fate was pretty much sealed. No matter what they did any attempt to free him would most likely lead to them being spotted and his death.
    end of spoilers

They first met on the beach. problem between Bat/Cat solved!
    What a thought-provoking issue! Damn!
    King at his A-game!

/s

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    spoilers:
    Well at least Bruce DID contact his family though why send Damian? He sent he in to face not just Thomas and Bane but GG alone? Why didn't he call any of the JL?

Also aren't father and son supposed to be estranged? Though somethings are bigger than their falling out.
    I'm not going to judge till I've read it myself but glad to know Bruce did contact his allies in Gotham.
    end of spoilers
    The December solicits mentioned they are estranged. While many people assumed this was a nod to the current Teen Titans run, Bruce has worked with Damian in Detective while he was a part of that team. So it is possible that they have a falling out after this.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    ::sigh:: More color-coding of civilian garb.

spoilers:
    Also, did they just totally sweep away the entire street/beach first-meeting issue that some thought would be important?
    end of spoilers

Full disclosure - did not read issue, just read here and heard what sister told me.
    spoilers:
    No, they clearly established that the Bruce and Selena first met on the street, but that the Bat and the Cat met on the boat. In that Bruce had not yet solidified his persona as Batman in their first meeting, and sees Batman as a new life. Which is an elegant explanation I think.
    end of spoilers

And I do generally agree that color coding civilian clothing is lame, but with Bruce in colorful Hawaiian shirts, I thought is was fine. I didn’t know that was something that bugged other people too.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

I agree with those saying that just bringing Damian in alone was fine. His jobs was simply to recover Alfred before being spotted, not to launch a full-scale assault on Gotham. You don’t need a whole army of gawky, gaudy, colorful teenagers for that.

Pohzee, spoilers:
    I understand the series of events they were making with the "first meetings." I think it's stupid, but I get it. What I meant was, there were a lot of fans speculating on a concrete meaning there. Something temporal or dimension oriented. Real, actual, literal first meeting differences or difference in memory. Plot-relevance. That it would be something important. This sweeping it away as mattering in terms of that. Instead it's just colorful or symbolic terminology. And we had to wait a long time to get addressed, and then it basically turned out to be nothing but hyperbole. And, in hindsight, it doesn't really make sense that Bruce didn't just specify that's what he meant in the first place instead of leaving us hanging. I get that leaving the reader hanging is a tried and true method to get them to come back, but it's still a letdown. Like the hero jumped out the minecar before it went over the cliff. But we had to wait a long time for the let down, making it more disappointing. Not devastating, but it feels like a cop-out out to me.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-18-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I agree with those saying that just bringing Damian in alone was fine. His jobs was simply to recover Alfred before being spotted, not to launch a full-scale assault on Gotham. You don’t need a whole army of gawky, gaudy, colorful teenagers for that.
    As it turns out, seems like you kinda do.

BANNED

Maybe he will at least address the situation of flashpoint Batman better than he handled the different memories thread but it doesn't seem likely. Wonder what is he going to do with him. Bendis opted for the oz thread to end without any spectacular showcasing but that might not work with Bruce because he is more obsessed and affected by the survival of his parent and him taking over Gotham than Clark ever was by Jor El surviving.

I read the issue twice and I still can't think of any relevancy it had other than him confirming he sent his son to get his ass beat by grandpa.

Mighty Member

I enjoyed the issue. I had no complaints like some other people do. I liked Bruce called Selina by her real name at least once.

This issue kinda reminds me when Batman and Catwoman went on a date , and it was night of fighting crime together.
    Catwoman was completely reformed and became a crime-fighter.
    It was kinda goofy though. They were in costume, dancing in nightclub.
    The date ended with them chilling with Gordon eating pizza.
    It was cute though.
    This was before Crisis On Infinite Earth.

I want to see a lot more Batman/Catwoman crime-fighting action.
    They make a great team.

BatCat fan forever
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-18-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    As it turns out, seems like you kinda do.
    meh, he just needed back/extraction

Too bad he soiled his working relationship with Jason
    Never liked Tim
    Doesnt talk to barbra to often

Has yet to converse with Steph or cass

oh nightwing baby bird needs you
    or even Nobody would have been a great help

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Yeah, but you sure as hell send support and backup in case he's spotted or captured.
    Which he didn't have.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 09-18-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    meh, he just needed back/extraction

Too bad he soiled his working relationship with Jason
    Never liked Tim
    Doesnt talk to barbra to often

Has yet to converse with Steph or cass

oh nightwing baby bird needs you
    or even Nobody would have been a great help
    Damian's relationship with the others doesn't factor in. The family have gone form attempting to murder each other straight to working together . As was demonstrated by the issue with Damian and Tim. That's pretty much their status quo in recent years.
    They are heroes and allies of Batman and he was on a mission was dictated by Bruce. Bruce could have contacted other members of the family [a senior member like Kate] and asked them for an assist but he didn't. Bruce's words were I've sent Damian in. My guess is it was a Solo mission.

You also Duke and heck even Goliath fights alongside Damian and they are quite coordinated. I figure low profile was what they were going for.

It was either a bad call or there's more to this. I refuse to believe Bruce would send a kid into face 3 heavy's who individually have bested him.

Heck Bane trashed Dick, Damian and Jason together and GG is pretty much a Super. There has to be more to this.