Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53
  1. #31
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,705

    Default

    Oscorp was taken over by Allan Chemical, and they merged to form Alchemax. So Norman is no longer an industrialist.

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    The problem of estimating the wealth of heads of state is that people tend to conflate the wealth of the nation, its resources and its GDP, with the personal wealth of the ruler. That's a very slippery and dodgy thing to do, especially when you consider that T'Challa, Namor, and Doom's regimes are so different.

    T'Challa for instance rules Wakanda, which for the long time is a kind of federalized kingdom where different tribes have some autonomy and independence (at least in the case of Don McGregor's Panther's Rage), and in more recent times, a constitutional monarchy with a devolved monarchy. In that situation, I don't think it's the case that T'Challa himself owns Vibranium. Vibranium is clearly owned by the state, and Vibranium mines are nationalized but you can't necessarily say that that Vibranium is the personal property of the line of King T'Challa and King T'Chaka.

    Namor is likewise a ruler of Atlantis which has multiple royal families jockeying for power. So is the wealth of power the wealth of Namor?

    In the case of an absolute dictator like Doom, the wealth of the state tends to be equated with the wealth of the monarch. And since Doom created a centralized dictatorship where he's basically not answerable to anyone, that's more understandable since Doom is very much an "I am the state" kind of guy. But at the same time, Doom is an active monarch who devotes a lot of money and time to public works, defense and so on. So is that his own money he's spending or the state's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Oscorp was taken over by Allan Chemical, and they merged to form Alchemax. So Norman is no longer an industrialist.
    Won't last long...

  3. #33
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Namor is likewise a ruler of Atlantis which has multiple royal families jockeying for power. So is the wealth of power the wealth of Namor?
    O_o

    Again, since he was supposed to be DEAD, Namor wasn't accessing his kingdom's wealth, nor whatever established "personal" wealth he had, when he created Oracle, a Wall Street company capable of taking over Rand Meachum, and facing off against Roxxon. Hence, he can draw an immense amount of wealth from THE OCEAN, not from Atlantis.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Again, since he was supposed to be DEAD, Namor wasn't accessing his kingdom's wealth, nor whatever established "personal" wealth he had, when he created Oracle, a Wall Street company capable of taking over Rand Meachum, and facing off against Roxxon. Hence, he can draw an immense amount of wealth from THE OCEAN, not from Atlantis.
    Okay now that's some hard data. But from what you say, Namor's wealth derives from his American citizenship and his assets are typical of American capitalism. So that makes him rich and wealthy certainly and among the Marvel billionaries. But I don't know if that puts him in Stark territory.

    I'd say Namor's Oracle (which I haven't heard about lately) is a Fortune 500 company in the top list but would be say in the top 300 or 200, depending on how Danny Rand's company is valued.

  5. #35
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Okay now that's some hard data. But from what you say, Namor's wealth derives from his American citizenship and his assets are typical of American capitalism. So that makes him rich and wealthy certainly and among the Marvel billionaries. But I don't know if that puts him in Stark territory.

    I'd say Namor's Oracle (which I haven't heard about lately) is a Fortune 500 company in the top list but would be say in the top 300 or 200, depending on how Danny Rand's company is valued.
    No. I never said that. I only brought up Oracle to show that Namor has enough wealth laying around in the ocean, he can easily create a top corporation. And Namor isn't an American citizen. Nor is the wealth of the oceans based on American capitalism. For a few years, in the 1990s, Namor did attempt to use his corporation (Oracle) to clean up the environment. He also used Oracle to fund Heroes For Hire. But he sold Oracle in the late 1990s to Stark Fujiwara at the end of Ostrander's Heroes for Hire.


    Again, Namor's wealth is from the oceans. If he wants something, he can easily gather enough from the oceans to buy whatever he wants. Like a movie studio. I'd forgotten he'd bought one back in FF 9.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  6. #36
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Marc Spector is also a billionaire, I believe. He finances his gadgets and vehicles through Spectorcorp, which deals in the industry of fine art.

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Nor is the wealth of the oceans based on American capitalism.
    Actually it is. US is entitled to claim a certain percentage of waters surrounding it beyond which is International Waters. This is agreed upon by the UN. And since Atlantis is a member of the UN, Namor is tacitly agreed to it as well.

  8. #38

    Default

    Dwayne Taylor made reference to his billion dollar company in that last contest of champions book. even after being presumed dead, he's loaded.

  9. #39
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Xavier shouldn't be on the list, unless his finances have had an upturn since the eighties (entirely possible, my X-Men knowledge is pretty scrappy from the nineties onward), when he was having to ask Warren Worthington for cash (Warren was very rich since inheriting money in The Champions - don't know about now).
    Xavier was always megarich, coming from old colonial era money (that's how he got all his toys). The latest value is $3 billion (per Fantomex), but I would put it higher, tbh.

    Not that it proves much, but back in the 80s Marvel RPG, Xavier and Angel had higher resources than Tony Stark.

    Keep in mind that in the 80s, there were only about a dozen billionaires in the US. Today, there are hundreds.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 09-17-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  10. #40
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Osborn is a billionaire? I thought him and Sebastian Shaw were multi millionaire industrialists.
    It's canon that Shaw made his first billion by the time he turned 40.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  11. #41
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Actually it is. US is entitled to claim a certain percentage of waters surrounding it beyond which is International Waters. This is agreed upon by the UN. And since Atlantis is a member of the UN, Namor is tacitly agreed to it as well.
    Tell that to China.


    It's 12 freaking miles. So no. American capitalism doesn't extend to the 75% of the world that Namor rules. Plus, there's some debate as to whether Atlantis joined the UN or not.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  12. #42
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Dwayne Taylor made reference to his billion dollar company in that last contest of champions book. even after being presumed dead, he's loaded.
    He has his brother to thank for that. Did the authorities even know that was a new Night Thrasher working with those depowered X-Men? He actually used an image inducer to make sure the truth about his identity didn't get out.

  13. #43
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    615

    Default

    How much is a guy like Sinister worth? Or does he just take everything for his experiments and technology??

  14. #44
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    And Namor isn't an American citizen.
    Yes he is, by virtue of being the son of US citizen Leonard Mackenzie. Its complicated, but he is.

  15. #45
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Yes he is, by virtue of being the son of US citizen Leonard Mackenzie. Its complicated, but he is.
    I don't think so.

    1) His parents marriage probably was not recognized by the US, which would be mean he was illegitimate in the US and would fall under different requirements.

    2) Namor was born before the repeal of residency requirements for US Citizenship at birth.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •