Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who are the Marvel billionaires?

In real life, there's the elite of the elite, the billionaires. They may live desirable lives, but I think it's safe to say they're not nearly as interesting as their comic book counterparts, as they don't have cool superpowers, futuristic tech, nor do they use their fortunes to fight bad guys, supervillains and world-ending entities.

But here, just who are the billionaires of Marvel?

To name some:

Tony Stark
    Reed Richards
    Charles Xavier
    Helmut Zemo
    Norman Osborn
    Emma Frost
    Danny Rand
    Namor
    Bobby da Costa
    Wilson Fisk
    Victor Von Doom
    T'Challa

Anyone else of note?

Xavier shouldn't be on the list, unless his finances have had an upturn since the eighties (entirely possible, my X-Men knowledge is pretty scrappy from the nineties onward), when he was having to ask Warren Worthington for cash (Warren was very rich since inheriting money in The Champions - don't know about now).

If we count the kingdom's money as personal fortune, Thor should count too.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Xavier shouldn't be on the list, unless his finances have had an upturn since the eighties (entirely possible, my X-Men knowledge is pretty scrappy from the nineties onward), when he was having to ask Warren Worthington for cash (Warren was very rich since inheriting money in The Champions - don't know about now).
    Pretty sure he’s a billionaire. I remember it being mentioned in-universe.

Karma? I'm not sure exactly how much the Hitachi Corporation is worth.

Janet was always rich but after Hank's death and now being the owner of Pym tech/lab , she might be on that level?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    In real life, there's the elite of the elite, the billionaires. They may live desirable lives, but I think it's safe to say they're not nearly as interesting as their comic book counterparts, as they don't have cool superpowers, futuristic tech, nor do they use their fortunes to fight bad guys, supervillains and world-ending entities.

But here, just who are the billionaires of Marvel?

To name some:

Tony Stark
    Reed Richards
    Charles Xavier
    Helmut Zemo
    Norman Osborn
    Emma Frost
    Danny Rand
    Namor
    Bobby da Costa
    Wilson Fisk
    Victor Von Doom
    T'Challa

Anyone else of note?
    Rich X-peeps (not sure if any of them are actual *billionaires* include;

Charles Xavier
    Emma Frost
    Warren Worthington
    Betsy (and Brian?) Braddock?
    Monet St Croix
    Roberto DaCosta
    Julian Keller? (possibly he's been disinherited, and his family wasn't that rich anyway?)
    Xian Coy Manh
    Roxy Spaulding? (parents are rich rap stars, but not sure if that goes past 'lots of money' to 'billionaires')
    Forge (was quite rich from patents / govt work when introduced, but not much has been said of it in recent decades)
    Namor

Non mutants I can think of;
    Nighthawk (Kyle Richmond)
    Night Thrasher

Villains;
    Dario Agger of Roxxon
    the Kingpin
    Darren Cross

Yeah, definitely Brian. He has an ancestral home which he uses as a school (Braddock Academy), just like Xavier. He also has a second home, the lighthouse which served as Excalibur HQ.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm not sure Namor and T'Challa belong on this list. They certainly control more money than anyone on this list except each other, but it is not clear how much is their personal fortune. T'Challa in particular has had to subsist on as little as a school teachers salary during periods when he was deposed. So saying that they are rich is a bit like saying the President owns the US budget.

Pretty sure they’re loaded man.

BANNED

I don't think Reed Richards is a billionaire.

Millionaire, maybe. But he's not in the super-rich club. At least he didn't seem that way in Hickman's run.

I also don't think including T'Challa, Namor, and Doom as billionaires make sense. They are heads of states of nations. And Forbes' lists ranking heads of states on personal wealth of heads-of-state has always been iffy (not to mention politicized). If we talk of personal wealth we mean something specific.

The thing about Marvel is that it roughly exists in the real world...so that means that real-world billionaires like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and other types are still probably richer than Tony Stark and others In-Universe. When writers want to invoke a real-world reference to Bill Gates as a "rich guy" it means that Gates has the status in the MU that he does in real-life.

Anyway, I'd say that Tony Stark is the richest person in the Marvel Superhero Community.

Other billionaires are
    -- Xavier (called a billionaire in Grant Morrison's X-Men run for those who want to know).
    -- Emma Frost
    -- Sebastian Shaw
    -- Norman Osborn
    -- Warren Worthington III
    -- Roberto Costa (Sunspot)
    -- Janet van Dyne.
    -- Dario Agger.

On the whole, Marvel villains tend to be richer than Marvel heroes. The X-Men seem to be unusually filled with rich types for a group that's supposed to stand in for minority rights. There are iffy examples like

The Kingpin since a lot of his wealth and influence seems to be illegal and doesn't show up in audit. So it's questionable how rich he is. Pablo Escobar was the richest criminal in history at $30bn. El Chapo also joined the billion dollar club. But the last time a white gangster made it big was Whitey Bulger and his net worth was $25mn.

They might not be billionaires, in the sense their their money is likely in the currency of their own nations, and we don't know what the inflation of those currencies is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, definitely Brian. He has an ancestral home which he uses as a school (Braddock Academy), just like Xavier. He also has a second home, the lighthouse which served as Excalibur HQ.
    The Moore run tells us the family were too poor to associate with their aristocratic peers; the lighthouse was bought with the gold Meggan grabbed from the Incas, not from any family fortune; Jamie was supporting his lavish lifestyle by murder, slavery, and sex-trafficking, which suggests that the family had just enough money to keep the house (though Mastermind may well have helped once Brian fixed him).

The Braddocks definitely weren't billionaires in the Captain Britain days, perhaps not millionaires either.

I didn't realize the Braddock family had a history as conquistadors.

I suppose it is very archetypal British of them.

Mandarin
    Sunset Baines