Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    All the more reason it's garbage, IMO. It is also a ripoff of MC-2 and Earth X. I'm done with this book.
    I'd add spiderman reign to the mix as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I'd add spiderman reign to the mix as well
    I forget about those aspects due to my anger, good catch lol
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Was it wrong for the book to be marketed the way it was? Feels kind of wrong. Purporting it as a story about Peter and MJ together and working together with that cover undoubtedly got people interested as they know there's lots of fans who eat up seeing those two characters with each other.

I'm sure some people going in blind will be either pleasantly surprised to find something unexpected or either feel robbed not getting what they were expecting, for lack of better words.
    agreed agreed and agreed some more. I’m one of those nerdy fanboys that eats up anything involving Peter and MJ together. So of course when I see those preview pages and so on I’m ready to really sink my teeth into this series. So yea the marketing for this really hurt the series

Dang it, David Gabriel. :P Not again!
    *plays sad game show music*

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    But it's an AU!
    Be that as it may, but they very clearly lied by omission and let everyone assume it was going to be set in the 616 and would therefore 'count' in continuity, since if people had known in advance it was an AU they might not have cared as much.

And as others have noted, it kind of feels like a lot of the beats are retreads of stuff form Earth X, Spider-Girl, Renew Your Vows and Reign in one permutation or another. Now granted I'm sure the Abramses weren't necessarily aware they were retreading old ground, but the readers are.

And the way they handed spoilers:
    MJ's death
    end of spoilers really didn't help matters.

Astonishing Member

Ever get the feeling that people only read Spider-Man for MJ?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Funny thing is that Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz had plans for a flash-forward issue of Spider-Girl that would have shown Mayday as Spider-Woman and an older, presumably teenaged Benjy Parker as the new Spider-Man. Ron Frenz even drew some concept art of what they'd look like in the future (that got reused for Mayday at the end of the MC2/Spider-Girl backup stories in the Secret Wars: Spider-Island miniseries.

tumblr_inline_nvx0nzGMyJ1ra5lzm_400.jpg

tumblr_memsxysuQj1qa6xpso2_500.jpg

So, yeah . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

might as well let this mini series play out. then judge the whole thing.
    so far the future-story conceits have heavily centered on Peter having a daughter-- certainly a daughter as the oldest child.
    at least here, "son of Spider-Man" can build a following, for once.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Not necessarily, but as the writer of The Amazing Mary Jane herself said in an interview, Spider-Man (as we have come to know and love him) would be a lot poorer without Mary Jane in his corner.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Not really.....But she’s grown over the years into one of the most important if not the most important character in Spider-Man mythos through out the history. She’s pretty much become synonymous with the character and presently is being handled better then she has been in a long time. Writers seem to really “get” her character at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Not really.....But she’s grown over the years into one of the most important if not the most important character in Spider-Man mythos through out the history. She’s pretty much become synonymous with the character and presently is being handled better then she has been in a long time. Writers seem to really “get” her character at the moment.
    Pretty much this, and I would also argue in a lot of ways that people (and writers) who try to downplay her importance or relevance don't necessarily "get" Spider-Man as well as they might think they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much this, and I would also argue in a lot of ways that people (and writers) who try to downplay her importance or relevance don't necessarily "get" Spider-Man as well as they might think they do.
    Agreed. What kills me is that there is this weird mindset from people that if you somehow prefer MJ in the issues you are somehow not a “real” fan because the title is about Spider-Man. Yes I read my comics for Spider-Man but much like the character “should” have over the years my preference for the character has evolved and changed over the years. I prefer him with MJ in any title. I really don’t see how anyone could ever deny the importance of the MJ character at this point. She is by far the most important character in Spider-man besides ....well Spider-Man. Also unlike another character who’s been around for far too long “coughaunt Maycough” MJ contributes to the growth of the character and adds something to him. At times Aunt May still being around almost seems like a constant reminder that Marvel prefers him as this man child. As cold as it sounds, the old lady has outlived her usefulness at this point lol.

Am grateful for this thread saving me twenty-something bucks on this mini; was sold on it as a series about Spidey and MJ, not Spidey and son with no MJ. I'm not mad (even if I was looking forward to it up until the reveal), but I'd rather save my money for Spider-Girl book 3 if I'm going to be getting something new that's about a Spider-Kid. So, I'm out on this one. Kind of fitting, given how much hype and misconception there was during the build up to the announcement, just how underwhelming and little to do with the sales pitch the actual product seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Then you have Force Awakens with the whole "who is Snoke/who is Rey's parents" and other balls he tossed around that landed like a lead balloon.
    Not quite; "who is Snoke?" was just something the fans built up in their minds. We learned who Rey's parents were, and I'm honestly surprised that there was surprise over that, given how the first movie made it clear that they were gone for good and not relevant to the now.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Am grateful for this thread saving me twenty-something bucks on this mini; was sold on it as a series about Spidey and MJ, not Spidey and son with no MJ. I'm not mad (even if I was looking forward to it up until the reveal), but I'd rather save my money for Spider-Girl book 3 if I'm going to be getting something new that's about a Spider-Kid. So, I'm out on this one. Kind of fitting, given how much hype and misconception there was during the build up to the announcement, just how underwhelming and little to do with the sales pitch the actual product seems to be.

Not quite; "who is Snoke?" was just something the fans built up in their minds. We learned who Rey's parents were, and I'm honestly surprised that there was surprise over that, given how the first movie made it clear that they were gone for good and not relevant to the now.
    You're welcome for saving you money! Lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

DO NOT open that can of worms that is the Star Wars sequel saga. It’s both Disney and JI Abbrams for that mess.