Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
I don't know; I generally like it (got copies of the TV show, movie, and comics), but I'm honestly not surprised that it was canceled; even excusing the fact that it was badly marketed and aired out of order, it's such a weird premise (the old west in space almost steampunk-style) that I kinda think it's an acquired taste. I also found the snark got excessive and distracting (I do understand that Joss Whedon writes stuff where the characters mostly speak in snark, but I find it gets grating after a few rewatches). I think it holds its own on the strength of its characters and could've remained a decent run had it lasted longer (although that assumes that the quality wouldn't drop too much over time, as is inevitable).

However, besides the overuse of snark, I do have to admit that there were a surprisingly high number of episodes that I wasn't a huge fan of (a couple I really didn't like, others I'm "meh" about the stories). I guess my boat is that I generally like it for what it was, but I think its fan base grossly overrates it and that its more of a mixed bag then not (I like Whedon's Avengers movies a lot more). But, seeing as I was invested with the Dark Horse comics to be annoyed that the new Boom Studios ones are an effective reboot that will not resolve the cliffhangers or move things forward over rehashing the "best of" era (albeit the best possible kind of rehash), I may not be as removed from the fandom as I think.

I don't know; Quill has always been a "Crouching Moron, Hidden Bad****" (to quote TV Tropes) at the best of times. Also, his emotional problems and losses really weren't played for laughs that much. (Endgame did make him the joke more, but, as noted before, his thing is that he really is a joke who's unexpectedly resourceful. (He's kind of a Captain Jack Sparrow-like figure in some ways).
I don't think you and I have anything in common, really.
To each their own.