Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

spoilers:
    What If... Spider Girl's Peter Parker Was a Absent Father?
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I told you guys it would suck.
    I know from gainsaying you about Clone Saga not being in Life Story #4 that second-guessing you never ends well.

I did like some stuff in the issue.

spoilers:

I like the design of Ben Parker in that Sara Pichelli gives him Mary Jane's dimples and face.

The actual story is just a bad cliche recycling stuff from other AU. But I do think Benny (as his nickname here...god I can't help but think of Bennie the Ball from Top Cat, man that dates me) is a cute kid. He has some Kylo Ren/Ben Solo vibes in that he seems more violent and disturbed than even Peter was (mostly because Peter had a supportive father-figure in OG Ben, a role he's not playing here).

That Cadverous guy is a bore, seems like a jacked up Warren with his fixation on clones and all
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    spoilers:
    What If... Spider Girl's Peter Parker Was a Absent Father?
    end of spoilers
    Abrams made Han Solo and Leia deadbeats too. And the movie after that made Luke the worst Uncle ever (not directed by Abrams or written by him but following his light).

Abrams was born in 1966, so he's a child of boomers and second wave boomer himself, so I wonder if he's projecting his own generation's failure in terms of bestowing climate change to millennials and Gen-Z, and sucking the welfare system dry, that he's infecting into his treatment of icons like Han Solo and Peter Parker.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Abrams made Han Solo and Leia deadbeats too. And the movie after that made Luke the worst Uncle ever (not directed by Abrams or written by him but following his light).

Abrams was born in 1966, so he's a child of boomers and second wave boomer himself, so I wonder if he's projecting his own generation's failure in terms of bestowing climate change to millennials and Gen-Z, and sucking the welfare system dry, that he's infecting into his treatment of icons like Han Solo and Peter Parker.
    Don't forget Kirk's mom being mostly absentee in Star Trek. I'm not sure if he's commenting on parental influence or something, but it's pretty repetitive.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    spoilers:

I like the design of Ben Parker in that Sara Pichelli gives him Mary Jane's dimples and face.

The actual story is just a bad cliche recycling stuff from other AU. But I do think Benny (as his nickname here...god I can't help but think of Bennie the Ball from Top Cat, man that dates me) is a cute kid. He has some Kylo Ren/Ben Solo vibes in that he seems more violent and disturbed than even Peter was (mostly because Peter had a supportive father-figure in OG Ben, a role he's not playing here).

That Cadverous guy is a bore, seems like a jacked up Warren with his fixation on clones and all
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Peter Parker as a John Wick's cosplay was bizarre.

About Ben being a Ben Solo, well... now I understand why I didn't like him at all.

And Cadaverious being a Miles Warren, I thought the same thing. He is either Miles or an Osborn.
    end of spoilers

I think we have a new Spider-Man: Reign in our hands.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    spoilers:
    Peter Parker as a John Wick's cosplay was bizarre.

About Ben being a Ben Solo, well... now I understand why I didn't like him at all.

And Cadaverious being a Miles Warren, I thought the same thing. He is either Miles or an Osborn.
    end of spoilers

I think we have a new Spider-Man: Reign in our hands.
    this comic wishes it were reign.

it makes reign look restrained and highly original by comparison.

Astonishing Member

So I should reread spider girl insted?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    So I should reread spider girl insted?
    The second Complete Collection just came out a month or so ago! My copy will be here Friday . . .
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

well spoilers are confirm guys
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Bleeding Cool has access to a lot of good snitches, what else can one say.

I think, after reading this issue, it was a good start. Not as solid as I thought it was going to be, but that may be because of the marketing being rather misleading. As for the new character, I think he'll grow on me. It's a bit jarring though to go from the initial setup with classic Spider-Man to something totally different. But like others said, I can't help but feel that this premise was done a bit better by other AUs. So that has it against it (I'm surprised too, because Nick Lowe was an editor during Spider-Girl'a initial run)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    this comic wishes it were reign.

it makes reign look restrained and highly original by comparison.
    I think this book is “extreme” because it has a 20 year old’s insight into what they think is cool and exciting, but it lacks any emotional maturity or restraint like you said. The story beats aren’t earned. I cringe when I look at my writing from my teen years and early 20s, so I can’t blame Henry too much. He just shouldn’t have been given the book in the first place.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 09-18-2019 at 08:31 AM.

I think this book is “extreme” because it has a 20 year old’s insight into what they think is cool and exciting, but it lacks any emotional maturity or restraint like you said. I cringe when I look at my writing from my teen years and early 20s, so I can’t blame Henry too much. He just shouldn’t have been given the book in the first place.
    You don't give up, do you?
    Plus, he co-wrote the book. Co-wrote. His dad wrote the book with him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    You don't give up, do you?
    Plus, he co-wrote the book. Co-wrote. His dad wrote the book with him.
    Does “give up” mean I’m not allowed to express an opinion? I’m not even interacting with you. You’re free to skip over my posts and focus on the so-called “positives” in the comic instead of feeling the need to always reply to me (and try to pressure me to stop expressing my feelings because they don’t jibe with yours). To be honest, it sounds like you don’t even like it much yourself, but you’re trying to talk yourself into liking it more.

Does “give up” mean I’m not allowed to express an opinion? I’m not even interacting with you. You’re free to skip over my posts and focus on the so-called “positives” in the comic instead of feeling the need to always reply to me (and try to pressure me to stop expressing my feelings because they don’t jibe with yours). To be honest, it sounds like you don’t even like it much yourself, but you’re trying to talk yourself into liking it more.
    No, that's actually not what I meant at all. I remembered when this book was announced and you and I had a back and forth about it. That's all. It was a side comment I shouldn't have made.
    Listen, whether you like the book or not, it's just a miniseries. If it's crap, it's AU and will be forgotten. If it's good, then who knows? That's the way I see it. I don't think it's in our best interests to get so riled up about a comic series.