Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I enjoyed it and I didn't mind MJ's death since its an AU. I also think everyone's expectations on how that plays out is going to be subverted. With the girl in the tank... could be MJ? Could Cadaverous be from the future, or an alt reality? Is time going to be messed with? Who knows?

I certainly do want to know what Peter has been up to and why he is not with his son. I demand a good explination for this!

Anyway, can't wait to see what twists are coming next because they are claiming some pretty big twists and turns ahead. Expect the unexpected!
    Let's hope the twists are solid! I'm hoping for a solid story here!

Astonishing Member

I have a feeling the “twists” will be motivated by shock value and not characterization if the first issue is anything to go by.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Look I'm generally mister positive but that this was a pretty uneventful first issue. The only surprise is that it is a story about Peter's son. And the first issue is wasted on him figuring out his dad was Spider-Man. Pretty boring. This just seems like a weird Spider-Man sci fi alien movie crossover.

Hopefully the next issue gets better.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed it and I didn't mind MJ's death since its an AU. I also think everyone's expectations on how that plays out is going to be subverted. With the girl in the tank... could be MJ? Could Cadaverous be from the future, or an alt reality? Is time going to be messed with? Who knows?

I certainly do want to know what Peter has been up to and why he is not with his son. I demand a good explination for this!

Anyway, can't wait to see what twists are coming next because they are claiming some pretty big twists and turns ahead. Expect the unexpected!
    but...what twists?

the only twists in this issue are the result of the misleading solicitations, cover and marketing that made people think the miniseries was about 616 peter and mj would be a major ongoing character

otherwise this was a straightforward origin story ripped from the amazing spider-man movie and spider-girl with yet another woman tossed off a bridge

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    The first two are out. They cover the first 32 issues of the series plus the What If that started it all. Kind of hoping everyone else joins in so we can at least get to volume 6 of the complete collections (presumably the first volume, 100 issues, in its entirety)
    What about the rebranded continuation and those backup stories about Peter and MJ when Mayday was a baby (from anthology series that was published in the earlt '00s)?

I enjoyed it and I didn't mind MJ's death since its an AU.
    Fair enough. I minded, but then, I wanted the story to be about Peter and MJ (that's what it looked like it was going to be from the ads), so I don't think this comic was ever for me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What about the rebranded continuation and those backup stories about Peter and MJ when Mayday was a baby (from anthology series that was published in the earlt '00s)?
    I try not to hope for too much out of archival collections runs. I kind of doubt we'll get all the way through Mayday's first series. But I'd get the other three complete collections (2 for ASG, 1 for SSG), too.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I read a review that praised the book. It did not just say it was ok, it said that it was Great...someone is being paid to post that review and the person reviewing it couldn't see the sheer number of cliches...

Anyways, below is an excerpt from my comment on their review.

The number of cliches picked out over just this first issue...the premise alone is a knock-off of Spider-Girl a series that ran for over 150 issues, right down to Pete's physical issues from being Spider-Man.
    Outside of 2 scenes, all of the dialogue might as well have been copied and pasted straight from a book of cliches.
    The other Spider-Man stories that have had things basically stolen and rebranded as fresh (like father, like son?)? Spider-Girl, Amazing Spider-Girl, Spectacular Spider-Girl (the theft is so egregious i had to mention all 3 of her series...), Reign, Renew Your Vows, and Earth X. His Miles Warren clone villain Cadaverous (is that right?) that suddenly vanishes for 12 (Twelve!!!) years...and his little clone of a lover of Peter's i bet...is it Gwen Stacy? Stacy Cooper? May-Day? or the blatantly obvious that we are all cringing at the idea of it because of how cliched it is that it sounds like a child wrote it MJ...

Add in an Ad campaign that Blatantly LIED about focus of the first 3 issues being a huge Spider-Man & MJ team-up and then they pulled THAT in the first few pages??? that is not clever or a twist, that is straight up LYING TO DRIVE UP THE PRE-ORDER SALES!!!
    Or did Marvel tell all the Comic Book Store Owners ahead of time what they would be committing to??? This is something I had not even considered until I typed the words, ESPECIALLY if they are going to FRIDGE MJ on the 6th page of the 1st issue for a 3 issue solicitation of a Spider-Man & MJ 'Above the usual' Team-up, one that they made out as elevating her some how in the 616 universe where she was treated as more of a partner like we are already seeing in the current Amazing Spider-Man series?

Even Sara Pichelli's art was all over the place. I don't know if it was her or Stewart, but the early pages looked more like ink blots with edges in some areas.

The way Marvel went about hiring Henry to get his dad on board...that LEVEL of Nepotism...and to be allowed, as a 1st time writer, to write a New Book simply entitled Spider-Man AND have a larger than most Ad campaign behind it...what was Spider-Man Editor Nick Lowe thinking? lmao, Benjy reads like Kick-Ass with Spider-Man's powers, that was who it reminded me of...however, Kick-Ass having Super Powers destroys the entire meaning of the character that was created for that story.

The book is truly an Abrams production, and more proof of why he cultivated his image sooooo finely for soooooo long.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    lso unlike another character who’s been around for far too long “coughaunt Maycough” MJ contributes to the growth of the character and adds something to him. At times Aunt May still being around almost seems like a constant reminder that Marvel prefers him as this man child. As cold as it sounds, the old lady has outlived her usefulness at this point lol.
    Aunt May is "useful" in that she represents the people closest to him that he fights for and that he also keeps safe, not from just the world in general but his world. There's nothing man child about that responsibilty. She also helps enforce the separation between Peter and Spider-Man.

Sometimes I feel like people want Aunt May offed because they see her as some kind of obstacle between Peter and MJ 4eva. It's kind of macabre that people want his mother figure and main living relative taken away from him, tbh.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Aunt May is "useful" in that she represents the people closest to him that he fights for and that he also keeps safe, not from just the world in general but his world.
    As does MJ.

She also helps enforce the separation between Peter and Spider-Man.
    Not in any continuity, such as this one, where she knows Peter is Spider-Man.

It's kind of macabre that people want his mother figure and main living relative taken away from him, tbh.
    It's macabre and pathetic that Marvel keep insisting against the emotional current of the stories and the emotional investment of the audience that the life of a 80 year old woman counts for more than a marriage, as what happened in OMD. Which had the side-effect of regressing Aunt May from the best version of herself (JMS' Aunt May) to a caricature of oedipal hang-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    As does MJ.
    Never said she wasn't, but she's still not blood or a reminder of his growth through adolescence. Also MJ is far more self-reliant, with her drama coming from a romantic place rather than a familial one. Not a total 1:1 overlap on the Venn Diagram of important supporting character qualities, there.
    And also case in point, thanks for demonstrating what I was talking about. Why do people insist on pitting the two against each other as if both are mutually exclusive?

Not in any continuity, such as this one, where she knows Peter is Spider-Man.
    Maybe, but the person I was replying to was talking generally.

It's macabre and pathetic that Marvel keep insisting against the emotional current of the stories and the emotional investment of the audience that the life of a 80 year old woman counts for more than a marriage, as what happened in OMD. Which had the side-effect of regressing Aunt May from the best version of herself (JMS' Aunt May) to a caricature of oedipal hang-ups.
    Not sure if you're mad that they used Aunt May for cheap drama or mad at the fact that the life of a woman who raised you actually counts for more than a marriage.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 09-19-2019 at 05:57 AM.

BANNED

Not sure if you're mad that they used Aunt May for cheap drama or mad at the fact that the life of a woman who raised you actually counts for more than a marriage.
    The latter. It's utterly absurd to make that case. And as the critic Sean T. Collins pointed out it's not realistic by any stretch:

"The final, fatal, unforgivable flaw, of course, is that it doesn’t even work from a standpoint of emotional realism. Simply put, if you ask any happily married couple to trade away their entire marriage, past present and future, to save the life of a septuagenarian mother figure, no matter how beloved, who probably is just a few years from dying anyway, the answer would be no."
    — Sean T. Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The latter. It's utterly absurd to make that case. And as the critic Sean T. Collins pointed out it's not realistic by any stretch:

"The final, fatal, unforgivable flaw, of course, is that it doesn’t even work from a standpoint of emotional realism. Simply put, if you ask any happily married couple to trade away their entire marriage, past present and future, to save the life of a septuagenarian mother figure, no matter how beloved, who probably is just a few years from dying anyway, the answer would be no."
    — Sean T. Collins
    Two questions:
    1) Is Sean T. Collins familiar with the character of Spider-Man / Peter Parker, a character who has vowed, no matter how irrationally, not to ever let anyone die on his watch? Someone who would never, ever, let someone die just because they were "too old"?
    2) Is Sean T. Collins a sociopath
    does he suffer from Alexithymia

Amazing Member

Lost an arm, lost his wife, being super edgy to his kid. You know he's an eyepatch away from being called "Punished Venom Spider-Man"

BANNED

Is Sean T. Collins familiar with the character of Spider-Man / Peter Parker, a character who has vowed, no matter how irrationally, not to ever let anyone die on his watch?
    He later went on to write a short back-up comic featuring Spider-Man, so?
    https://www.marvel.com/comics/creato...sean_t_collins

Someone who would never, ever, let someone die just because they were "too old"?
    Spider-Man also takes responsibility for the consequences of his actions and lives with it. He lived with Ben's death, Gwen's death, George Stacy's, Harry Osborn's, and many others. I mean he knew Doctor Strange when Gwen died, why didn't he do a grand tour of the Marvel Universe to save and bring her back?

Astonishing Member

Two questions:
    1) Is Sean T. Collins familiar with the character of Spider-Man / Peter Parker, a character who has vowed, no matter how irrationally, not to ever let anyone die on his watch? Someone who would never, ever, let someone die just because they were "too old"?
    2) Is Sean T. Collins a sociopath
    does he suffer from Alexithymia
    Are you actually calling a comic critic a “sociopath”? He made a point about OMD that about 80% of Spidey fans agree with.