Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    it is bad when the book consists of nothing but the most overused cliches such as spoilers:
    fridging by bridge
    end of spoilers and repeats the exact same beats as stories such as spoilers:
    spider-girl and the first amazing spider-man film.
    end of spoilers

that is why i said it written by someone who doesn't read. it is a cut and paste of generic movie moments, down to spoilers:
    a high school jock bully that was cliche when flash was created, the manic pixie potential girlfriend, a nightmare about a loved one drowning in blood and neglectful father who is too wrapped up in pain to see the pain he is causing his son.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I admit I took pleasure seeing the bully get his ass kicked for the lowblow on Ben's mom, even Flash has standards, in Chips Spec run, Flash actually regretted and apologize for the dead uncle joke during the time travel story. Also showcasing how different Ben is to Peter, Ben gave the bully a asskicking, something Peter never gave to his bullies especially Flash in the 616 canon
    end of spoilers

not sure if Im picking up the 2nd issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I never said it wasn't cliche. I just said it was an interesting start.
    i don’t think cliches are interesting. but that’s me.

i can see why people are interested in picking up the next issue however. i probably will check it out to see if it is still a dumpster fire of cliches or finds an original thought.

i can see why people are interested in picking up the next issue however. i probably will check it out to see if it is still a dumpster fire of cliches or finds an original thought.
    To each their own.

Sara's art was the only remotely positive thing about this comic and I am so happy to see sanity here because i have seen some pages where people are praising it but they have no idea who May-Day or Spider-Girl is...so if someone has never read a story before, this would be a good story to learn about every cliche there is and to see WHY they are death in the hands of someone who is getting a very public lesson in why Nepotism in relation to beloved anything (unless it is the Creators Child of course...not the son of a famous director...) is something to be avoided at all costs...at least read the Wikipedia pages of various other 'child of Spider-Man' stories to just check how original the idea really is...

The only believable writing was when he was in the Prins Office and when he got into a fight with his dad........that seems pretty telling about the quality of the writing to be expected...(oh, and the big bad villain did 1 thing and now 12 years later...seriously??!?!?!?!?!?)

I think i avoided anything that could be deemed a real spoiler lol

BANNED

JJ Abrams unfortunately has a talent for hooking people in. What that means is even if the payoff is not going to be satisfying, you are along for the ride anyway. Since this is a miniseries and I read issue 1, I kinda want to see the issues after this.

I mean LOST is a good example. It had a good hook and if you watched that, you felt compelled to watch it even if the weird stuff in that show didn't make sense, wasn't thought out well, and didn't payoff well. Then you have Force Awakens with the whole "who is Snoke/who is Rey's parents" and other balls he tossed around that landed like a lead balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    JJ Abrams unfortunately has a talent for hooking people in. What that means is even if the payoff is not going to be satisfying, you are along for the ride anyway. Since this is a miniseries and I read issue 1, I kinda want to see the issues after this.

I mean LOST is a good example. It had a good hook and if you watched that, you felt compelled to watch it even if the weird stuff in that show didn't make sense, wasn't thought out well, and didn't payoff well. Then you have Force Awakens with the whole "who is Snoke/who is Rey's parents" and other balls he tossed around that landed like a lead balloon.
    I think the miniseries that this is leads to its benefit. I keep telling people that if this is as bad as they think, it won't destroy the mythos: it'll just be a bad rendition of Spider-Man for a miniseries. We've had so many good minis recently, we were bound for a bad one. Meanwhile, 616 continues like normal and everything is fine lol

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    (oh, and the big bad villain did 1 thing and now 12 years later...seriously??!?!?!?!?!?)
    To be fair, by the way the villain is talkingspoilers:
    it looks like he's been trying for a while to make, something, probably a clone, and by the number of experiments, it's possible that he's been trying for 12 years and failing, so he's been at it for a while.

The "key" he's talking about is probably Spidey, since he does mention needing Spidey's help, I just hope this villain isn't Jackal and he's trying to a Gwen clone again, since whatever is in that tube does have a feminine body.
    end of spoilers

I can’t say that this did much for me.

I really don’t like Pichelli’s art here either.

Was it wrong for the book to be marketed the way it was? Feels kind of wrong. Purporting it as a story about Peter and MJ together and working together with that cover undoubtedly got people interested as they know there's lots of fans who eat up seeing those two characters with each other.

I'm sure some people going in blind will be either pleasantly surprised to find something unexpected or either feel robbed not getting what they were expecting, for lack of better words.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Was it wrong for the book to be marketed the way it was? Feels kind of wrong. Purporting it as a story about Peter and MJ together and working together with that cover undoubtedly got people interested as they know there's lots of fans who eat up seeing those two characters with each other.

I'm sure some people going in blind will be either pleasantly surprised to find something unexpected or either feel robbed not getting what they were expecting, for lack of better words.
    The Marketing is working against it, which is never good

BANNED

So what I am getting at is that spoilers:
    this tale is a mixture of MC-2 meets Earth X with a side of gender flipping. So another repeated story from JJ again. Is anything original anymore ?
    end of spoilers

The Marketing is working against it, which is never good
    After reading the MJ/Aunt May spoiler I will not be buying this book. I'm pissed. I usually don't let these things bother me but it's too much this time. My interest is gone.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    After reading the MJ/Aunt May spoiler I will not be buying this book. I'm pissed. I usually don't let these things bother me but it's too much this time. My interest is gone.
    But it's an AU!

But it's an AU!
    All the more reason it's garbage, IMO. It is also a ripoff of MC-2 and Earth X. I'm done with this book.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    All the more reason it's garbage, IMO. It is also a ripoff of Mc-2 and Earth X.
    Well alrighty then...