Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Liked both May and the kid. Disliked the John Wick cosplayer, hopefully my man Peter will appear eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Centrions View Post
    Lost an arm, lost his wife, being super edgy to his kid. You know he's an eyepatch away from being called "Punished Venom Spider-Man"
    But would he be using the symbiote if he reached that point or he'd be using the "Venom" in the name just because?

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I try not to hope for too much out of archival collections runs. I kind of doubt we'll get all the way through Mayday's first series. But I'd get the other three complete collections (2 for ASG, 1 for SSG), too.
    Maybe. Guess we'll have to see. Suppose you could track down older copies online if they don't do everything.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

There's a few interesting things set up for the story and I get that the father/son writing team wanted to do a father/son story. But I really hate that they had to kill Mary Jane as an excuse to get this emotional reaction from Peter and have her serve as some inspiring figure for Peter and Ben rather than an actual character (which is particularly annoying since the promotional material made it seem like MJ would have a more active role in the story rather than this passive dead mommy role for the angsting male characters). Maybe she'll get revived or something down the line, but as far as I'm concerned the story has already earned its refrigerator mark.

The art is really nice though.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    ...But I really hate that they had to kill Mary Jane as an excuse to get this emotional reaction from Peter and have her serve as some inspiring figure for Peter and Ben rather than an actual character (which is particularly annoying since the promotional material made it seem like MJ would have a more active role in the story rather than this passive dead mommy role for the angsting male characters). Maybe she'll get revived or something down the line, but as far as I'm concerned the story has already earned its refrigerator mark...
    True enough, you'd think writers and editorial would want to avoid the use of this disgusting trope in modern times (female characters being reduced to nothing more than motivation for male ones in the worst possible way) guess not.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True enough, you'd think writers and editorial would want to avoid the use of this disgusting trope in modern times (female characters being reduced to nothing more than motivation for male ones in the worst possible way) guess not.
    some things never change
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    some things never change
    *sigh* sad but true

Astonishing Member

I'm going to say something incredibly controversial. Read at your own risk.

spoilers:
    Would you prefer if they killed off Aunt May instead?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'd prefer neither died but if I had to pick one Aunt May would be my choice. She is older and has a less direct connection to the son and has historically lacked agency of any sort, unlike MJ.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I'd prefer neither died but if I had to pick one Aunt May would be my choice. She is older and has a less direct connection to the son and has historically lacked agency of any sort, unlike MJ.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Wait a minute...what? So, because she has little agency, she should die? You know that sounds kind of f***ed up, right?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    spoilers:
    Wait a minute...what? So, because she has little agency, she should die? You know that sounds kind of f***ed up, right?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I sure do. I said I'd prefer neither died but if I had to pick one Aunt May would be it for the reasons I've outlined. I suspect the user who asked the question was baiting me into a response. I decided to heck with it I'll outline my reasoning thus making my choice clear. I've said I see little value in preserving Aunt May the character in past posts and I'm not a hypocrite (I hate hypocrites more than anything else). I maintain my earlier stance harash as it is.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I sure do. I said I'd prefer neither died but if I had to pick one Aunt May would be it for the reasons I've outlined. I suspect the user who asked the question was baiting me into a response. I decided to heck with it I'll outline my reasoning thus making my choice clear. I've said I see little value in preserving Aunt May the character in past posts and I'm not a hypocrite (I hate hypocrites more than anything else). I maintain my earlier stance harash as it is.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Alrighty then.

Imma just exit stage right...

This issue was a good start (for me at least)
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    spoilers:
    Alrighty then.

Imma just exit stage right...

This issue was a good start (for me at least)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    No need to do that. I'm not angry with you or anyone really. I'd prefer no female character dies to be motivation for a male character in comic books ever again, even Aunt May. It is a cheap, tired, outdated tactic. If I had written the book I would not have gone in such a direction. I feel JJ Abrams and his son want to tell a father/son story a mother figure would get in the way of this so they offed MJ and used her tragic death as motivation.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    No need to do that. I'm not angry with you or anyone really. I'd prefer no female character dies to be motivation for a male character in comic books ever again, even Aunt May. It is a cheap, tired, outdated tactic. If I had written the book I would not have gone in such a direction. I feel JJ Abrams and his son want to tell a father/son story a mother figure would get in the way of this so they offed MJ and used her tragic death as motivation.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I sent you a PM to continue the conversation!
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    i’d prefer if female characters were treated as equally important to the story as male characters and not killed off to create cheap drama that isn’t earned
    end of spoilers