Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The latter. It's utterly absurd to make that case. And as the critic Sean T. Collins pointed out it's not realistic by any stretch:

"The final, fatal, unforgivable flaw, of course, is that it doesn’t even work from a standpoint of emotional realism. Simply put, if you ask any happily married couple to trade away their entire marriage, past present and future, to save the life of a septuagenarian mother figure, no matter how beloved, who probably is just a few years from dying anyway, the answer would be no."
    — Sean T. Collins
    precisely

to argue otherwise only reveals the lack of a happy romantic relationship in the questioner’s life and the inability to project being in one. especially as it was set up in the books. aunt may absolved peter of guilt and told him to let her go. “the one above all” absolved peter and told him to let her go

i agree it is absurd to make a case otherwise
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-19-2019 at 06:20 AM.

He later went on to write a short back-up comic featuring Spider-Man, so?
    https://www.marvel.com/comics/creato...sean_t_collins
    Does doing an inch of writing duty on Spider-Man magically make someone an eternal voice of reason? By that argument, everything Dan Slott and Joe Quesada have ever said are law, just saying. And Jack will drop this avenue of debate in 3, 2,...

Spider-Man also takes responsibility for the consequences of his actions and lives with it. He lived with Ben's death, Gwen's death, George Stacy's, Harry Osborn's, and many others. I mean he knew Doctor Strange when Gwen died, why didn't he do a grand tour of the Marvel Universe to save and bring her back?
    Spider-Man does the utmost of what's in his power at the time, and he lives with what happens outside of that realm. Trying in spite of the odds is a defining characteristic of the character as I know him at least, rather than Peter "sorry Grams but boning my wife is more important" Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Are you actually calling a comic critic a “sociopath”? He made a point about OMD that about 80% of Spidey fans agree with.
    I don't even know or care who he is, and that's a bandwagon fallacy sir. Sounds like he's really revered by people who have terrible relationships with their parents though, aheh

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    to argue otherwise only reveals the lack of a happy romantic relationship in the questioner’s life and the inability to project being in one. especially as it was set up in the books. aunt may absolved peter of guilt and told him to let her go. “the one above all” absolved peter and told him to let her go
    On the flipside, one could say to argue otherwise only reveals the lack of stable family relationships in the questioner's life and the inability to project being in a position of love or care of someone that isn't themselves.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 09-19-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

why didn't anyone tell me how hot future peter was gdi

why do spider-man fans want him to get old but also want to see boomers die
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

I’d have been ok with JMS killing off Aunt May since she was so boring during his run. The problem is so was MJ so I’d be ok with him killing her too.

^ lol

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    why do spider-man fans want him to get old but also want to see boomers die
    In a future where there are no more olds to kill
    you are now the olds

Ben... I'm sorry... You and May made me everything I am... But coochie 2 gud... It's time to let people die...

With great power comes great responsibility

and my great responsibility is to *dat ass*
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 09-19-2019 at 07:02 AM.

BANNED

*Dan Slotts Spidey rushing in*
    NO ONE DIES!!! NO ONE DIESSSSS!!!!!

Couldn't resist it. Heh.Heh.

*bites lip*

You know I love my Aunt May, bro. But Deadbeat Pete... I'll have your wheatcakes anytime...

Astonishing Member

Calling someone a “sociopath” for their critique of a fictional comic must break some variation of Godwin’s law.

One can see OMD as sacrificing an unborn child to save an octogenarian... or in other words sacrificing the future to save the past. Plus it’s all done through a deal with the devil. Which part of the “great responsibility” ethos says a deal with the lord of all darkness and evil is okay?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Does doing an inch of writing duty on Spider-Man magically make someone an eternal voice of reason?
    You wanted to know if he knows Spider-Man because you are some kind of gatekeeper who decided to attack the person making the case rather than debate the argument.

Trying in spite of the odds is a defining characteristic of the character as I know him at least, rather than Peter "sorry Grams but boning my wife is more important" Parker.
    Actually...that is more important. I don't know if you grok this but from Aunt May's perspective, from the perspective of actually sane people she wanted Peter and MJ to get married and have children. Trading the marriage means giving up on her grand-nephews and grand-nieces in exchange for a few more years. No sane person would put future generations under the bus for the old.

Arguing otherwise, or normalizing that, is in fact truly sociopathic.

I don't even know or care who he is, and that's a bandwagon fallacy sir.
    Then why did you make an Ad Hominem attack on a person you don't know or care about. You just had to express a view on the argument rather than make an attack on him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Ever get the feeling that people only read Spider-Man for MJ?
    Sure seems that way. Its almost like Spidey cannot have a story without MJ being present, they have to be attached at the hip. Is it a crime if MJ is not in a spider book? Can Peter not function or is not a great character if MJ is not around? Yes MJ is an important and significant character in the spider mythos but she isn't the central character and it's possible for Peter to have stories without her around.

BANNED

Deadbeat Peter appreciates that at least one clown appreciates the finer things in life. Lol.
    20190919195111.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Calling someone a “sociopath” for their critique of a fictional comic must break some variation of Godwin’s law.

One can see OMD as sacrificing an unborn child to save an octogenarian... or in other words sacrificing the future to save the past. Plus it’s all done through a deal with the devil. Which part of the “great responsibility” ethos says a deal with the lord of all darkness and evil is okay?

Don't fret my friend, if Critic McCriticson somehow sees my joke at his expense I doubt he'll take it seriously or personally.

Also this "unborn child" is a whole barrel of "does cosmic abortion count?" ridiculousness I don't think this thread is suited for
    Also I tap out when someone says "deal with the devil"

it's a PTSD coping mechanism

You wanted to know if he knows Spider-Man because you are some kind of gatekeeper who decided to attack the person making the case rather than debate the argument.

*narrows eyes* Is... is this the same Revolutionary Jack who said something like "artists and authors are self-important and need to be brought down a peg" a couple of days ago?
    In any case, my point was squarely about how I believed your dude completely missed the essence of the character. Calling him a sociopath was a tongue-in-cheek aside to the main point - so I'm not buying the indignation. That or it just became a sticking point because you emphasize with his argument and feel insulted by proxy. Not my intent <3

Actually...that is more important. I don't know if you grok this but from Aunt May's perspective, from the perspective of actually sane people she wanted Peter and MJ to get married and have children. Trading the marriage means giving up on her grand-nephews and grand-nieces in exchange for a few more years. No sane person would put future generations under the bus for the old.
    Nothing sums up the ethos of a noble hero like someone selflessly going "I'm a burden, save yourself" and the hero going "well, okay!". That's a comic book I want to read right there.
    Like, trading an actual living breathing person for intangible imaginary children that don't even exist yet? That could easily exist with a different mother? It's not enough she gave her life to raise him, she has to give the rest of it to suit his convenience?
    Maybe you guys don't come from small families or single parents or something. Too weird of an argument for me.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 09-19-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Okay, this thread is getting a little too real...maybe we can all tone it down a bit with the personal stuff? And get back to the actual issue/story?