Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yeah! I am not fond of the implications of jon going to the future forever. I hope it stays just that. Cause, i want him in present. I want more family adventures. I want jon(originaly, kid jon but heck) to meet kon. I want them to develop jon- lorzod rivalry. Which reminds me man does lor zod look like kid vegeta with that hair. Hopefully, jon sticks around. If not i am droping the books. I am not interested in a married father superman in name only but really a single superman. I don't care what explanation they give they can't have their cake and eat it too in this case.

I mean, the only thing clark loses with identity reveal is the planet. Which sucks but, clark could still write as independent individual. This is only because clark "lost" everything already. I mean, his family has gone their separate way and will not be affected by Clark's choices . It also undercuts the reveal for me. Jon won't be affected because he will be a future guy. Lois is somewhere else. She is already linked with clark and superman. The reveal that both are the same will have next to no impact on her.other than, she would be able to publish her book.
    I can't wait for conner to return to a world where, who "superman" is public knowledge .

Overall, it was a great issue. Rogol zarr reveal of being created by jor el was cool. I believe this made oz effect that much impactful. Clark's resolve and optimism in the face something that shook him. Made "hope" possible.he could have given up on his identity as kal el in that issue.his choice not to united everyone including the zods.

Also, jon is being atleast pushed. Since, unity day was practicaly his idea like the united planets. But, i am super excited for the return of supersons. Please, don't split them up bendis. Because they are wayyyy better than "superman/batman" dynamic which we have right now now.#Supersonsreunion
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-18-2019 at 02:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This was a 10/10 issue for me. Art was terrifiic and we got some real story developments. I'm shocked about what happened with Jor-El, feels like a abrupt ending to his story but I suppose it makes sense. I'm curious if Zod will do anything shady when it comes to trying to build Krypton again, Kara's joke on the matter was funny.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 09-18-2019 at 03:25 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Good. God. That Jor-El development. I was so genuinely surprised! The way he used Adam Strange for it was pretty freakin baller. Points to Sacred Knight for calling that this is how Jor-El would go out. But made points to Bendis for staging it as a sentence!!!! That said, I can basically say that I KNOW we are getting more on Jor-El under Bendis. This just packs him neatly away. But there's so much surrounding him and what he's done.

I can't place if this is the Zaar reveal, or if Bendis is playing with the wording here. I wonder if Jor-El was breeding eugenics style to get Zaar, or if he was artificially created? Maybe it's linked to how Zod is going to populate New Krypton? Lots of mystery there.

The Legion are adorable lol They certainly feel like kids. Even though they're at the size they are, they still feel they're not at their final form, so it denotes a sense of beginning, and that's really nice. Keeps them from being impenetrable at this size at the start. Really liked Saturn Girl's moment with Jon, and the genuine look of joy and relief on his face. I like the reminder that this sh!t was no walk in the park for Jon no matter how strong a front he puts up, and he seemed to be pinning a lot on this moment to make the journey worth it. Makes me wonder if Saturn Girl knows about because he powers, or because it's well known in the 31st century?

Good lord, that splash page! You know the one. The art was outstanding!

I love this new Zod, man. I love the truce. Love that Zod's not foaming at the mouth calling for everyone to kneel. It looks like "Uncle Zod" is now legitimately a thing, and there's a built in tension there that's never been there with the character before. Very interested in what New Krypton will be like.

"Future college" is both funny, and tells me pretty much implies all I need to know about this upcoming dynamic. He'll "dorm" there, and he'll be able to visit on weekends and "breaks" (or "leave" aka downtime for the Legion). So the visit is literally going for a "college tore." This almost reads likes a star high school athlete being recruited, and that's kind of dope. But I also love how Bendis makes sure to make it understood that "future college" is a metaphor primarily to understand how Jon relates to it, and it's not an indicator of what the Legion are as a whole. As Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl makes it clear, they are very much a legit team of intergalactic heroes and peace keepers.

Great way to cap things off with some finality, and give us some crumbs about what could come next.

Edit: Genuinely felt for Clark as he almost fell over himself trying to rationalize his father's actions. That "he comes from a different generation" line was freakin PACKED. Strong stuff right there, man.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-18-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

After this issue, I wonder how anyone could say that Bendis RUINED!!1!! Jon and Superman with a straight face.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    After this issue, I wonder how anyone could say that Bendis RUINED!!1!! Jon and Superman with a straight face.
    He ruined Jor-El.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    He ruined Jor-El.
    This. Haven't seen anything this bad since Norman Osborne love child with Gwen Stacy lol.

Astonishing Member

He ruined Jor-El.
    Tell Johns. He brought him back.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    This. Haven't seen anything this bad since Norman Osborne love child with Gwen Stacy lol.
    If there is something i learned by reading Superman comics over the past decade is that everything will be retconned sooner or later but probably sooner. And I don't see anything that is going to last here.

Tell Johns. He brought him back.
    Not really. Mr. Oz identity was still undefined when Johns introduced him.

Astonishing Member

Not really. Mr. Oz identity was still undefined when Johns introduced him.
    Ok. Tell Jurgens.

Extraordinary Member

Ok. Tell Jurgens.
    Jurgens would probably (and rightfullly) be pissed at what's been done with Jor El here. That reveal kind of came out of nowhere and it wastes all the potential of having Jor El around in the present. Honestly, the ONLY character that comes out looking good is Superman himself, which fair enough its his book, but Bendis is really missing the mark with the Legion.

I can't wait for when this Legion is erased and they inevitably bring back the classic Legion.

Ok. Tell Jurgens.
    lol. It's all Jurgens' fault then.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Best issue so far.

Bendis is shaping up being one of the most ambitious and forward thinking Superman writers of the last two decades.

Real stakes, new ideas, expansion of old ones.

I can see why it is not everyone's cup of tea due to the controversial* decisions but the multilayered storytelling about family, society and the role of lies and secresy for the greater good and the closure with truth and honesty being the only healthy way towards a future, is sooo Superman.

Its amazing. It's ambiguous, it's optimistic and with sincere emotion. Bendis has managed to find purpose in broken toys while he adds pathos to the mythos and new ideas to expand on.

Jor El, the goodbye was bittersweet, I wanted to see him more but him returning to the past is a fitting bookend to the era of lies and circles.

I know some are sad about what was lost. But at least we are getting a take on Superman that tries to say something new, elevates the mythos into something more than punching and recycling of the 5 storyline Superman has had the last 20 years. The last status quo that had as much impact on the mythos was the return of Superman in the 90s. This is another chapter that will last and could shape up being an important moment of the character.

* I was considering putting controversial in quotes but I thought it would seem like I am reducing the importance of what was lost. I considered doing it because I believe there is a discussion in how much controversy those decisions deserve to begin with.
    Last edited by Man_of_Tomorrow; 09-18-2019 at 11:30 AM.

I think Bendis’ decision to make Jor El indirectly responsible for the destruction of Krypton is a complete character assignation of Jor El. Instead of being the person who tragically couldn’t save Krypton from itself, Jor El is the person who damned it. Plus, it not only undermines Kryptons destruction but possibly even Superman’s role in the whole universe to a certain extent. He’s the son of the person who indirectly destroyed his planet.

Yeah, not feeling any of this. If forward thinking means unresolved character assassination on Jor-El, giving classic Superman dynamics and adventures to Jon, losing his dual identity so he can play president, etc, then I'm quite unashamed to admit that I'll be over here, actually wishing for stasis instead. I still like Action but this just might be a wrap for me on Superman. I mean, Jon potentially being gone "for good" for a while is a net positive for me, but the Jor-El thing is yet another slap. 1 step forward, 5 steps back.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-18-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Best issue so far.

Bendis is shaping up being one of the most ambitious and forward thinking Superman writers of the last two decades.

Real stakes, new ideas, expansion of old ones.

I can see why it is not everyone's cup of tea due to the controversial* decisions but the multilayered storytelling about family, society and the role of lies and secresy for the greater good and the closure with truth and honesty being the only healthy way towards a future, is sooo Superman.

Its amazing. It's ambiguous, it's optimistic and with sincere emotion. Bendis has managed to find purpose in broken toys while he adds pathos to the mythos and new ideas to expand on.

Jor El, the goodbye was bittersweet, I wanted to see him more but him returning to the past is a fitting bookend to the era of lies and circles.

I know some are sad about what was lost. But at least we are getting a take on Superman that tries to say something new, elevates the mythos into something more than punching and recycling of the 5 storyline Superman has had the last 20 years. The last status quo that had as much impact on the mythos was the return of Superman in the 90s. This is another chapter that will last and could shape up being an important moment of the character.

* I was considering putting controversial in quotes but I thought it would seem like I am reducing the importance of what was lost. I considered doing it because I believe there is a discussion in how much controversy those decisions deserve to begin with.
    Very well thought out and well put. Couldn't agree more.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.