Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I worry it may be too late by then should that happen, a lot of Jon's fans have or are losing interest. My girlfriend was the biggest Super Sons fan I know (she gave the book out to friends/younger relatives) and she completely doesn't care about Jon anymore. At this point, I think Legion's the best bet to keep Jon around (despite my wishing that he was still a child).
    Gotta agree. Sometimes a change catches on.

For the most part prior to Bendis when is the last time the Planet really mattered in Superman? It's not hard to imagine Superman losing Clark Kent permanently since his on panel time out of costume amongst people unaware of his dual ID is almost nil between New Krypton and Bendis as far as present day in-continuity stuff. Even if the identity genie is back in the bottle post-Bendis, Clark as an actual on-going part of his daily life isn't guaranteed a return,

Jon's character may spend as much time as an older Legionnaire as he did as a kid leaving DC without a strong reason to bring back the pre-teen version. And if he is successful enough with the Legion that present day Jon stories aren't as big a draw he might be kept in the 31st century as a concept. It's happened to Superboys before (Clark in the 70's, Kon around 2005)

And the Lois/Clark marriage was scrapped in the New-52. It came back, but like the Spider-marriage it has some big name people who'd love to sink it. If Bendis' idea of them living largely separate lives catches on ...

So while most things go in patterns, there are some that don't go back to the original status quo and some that take decades to come back (how long was Kara out as Supergirl post-Crisis? Clark's super-boyhood?). So there is no guarantee Bendis' leaving returns all the tools to the toolbox.

Mighty Member

I worry it may be too late by then should that happen, a lot of Jon's fans have or are losing interest. My girlfriend was the biggest Super Sons fan I know (she gave the book out to friends/younger relatives) and she completely doesn't care about Jon anymore. At this point, I think Legion's the best bet to keep Jon around (despite my wishing that he was still a child).
    My hope is that when (and if) they bring back pre-teen Jon, the people who were driven away will come back. I mean, there was a great deal of excitement when he showed up in The Sixth Dimension arc of Justice League.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    My hope is that when (and if) they bring back pre-teen Jon, the people who were driven away will come back. I mean, there was a great deal of excitement when he showed up in The Sixth Dimension arc of Justice League.
    They could add something new and marketable gimmick to the mix. ReLauch him/push him in couple books and have someone who gets jon write him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Gotta agree. Sometimes a change catches on.

For the most part prior to Bendis when is the last time the Planet really mattered in Superman? It's not hard to imagine Superman losing Clark Kent permanently since his on panel time out of costume amongst people unaware of his dual ID is almost nil between New Krypton and Bendis as far as present day in-continuity stuff. Even if the identity genie is back in the bottle post-Bendis, Clark as an actual on-going part of his daily life isn't guaranteed a return,

Jon's character may spend as much time as an older Legionnaire as he did as a kid leaving DC without a strong reason to bring back the pre-teen version. And if he is successful enough with the Legion that present day Jon stories aren't as big a draw he might be kept in the 31st century as a concept. It's happened to Superboys before (Clark in the 70's, Kon around 2005)

And the Lois/Clark marriage was scrapped in the New-52. It came back, but like the Spider-marriage it has some big name people who'd love to sink it. If Bendis' idea of them living largely separate lives catches on ...

So while most things go in patterns, there are some that don't go back to the original status quo and some that take decades to come back (how long was Kara out as Supergirl post-Crisis? Clark's super-boyhood?). So there is no guarantee Bendis' leaving returns all the tools to the toolbox.
    Yeah this is pretty much why I've come to accept that the Jon and the Superfamily that I was a fan of (that got me reading Superman comics again) is gone for good. And that really is one of the toughest pills I've had to swallow as a comic fan. That's right up there with the treatment of the Teen Titans for the past 8 years, in terms of how upsetting it is to think about.

At the end of the day, the changes may be stupid and unnecessarily but they're the typical Bendis shock value decisions that tend to stick, even after he's gone (Frankly, I'm surprised his O5 X-Men finally made it back to their time). So I'mma be salty about it for many years to come, but I know this Jon is most likely set in stone. As is this new dynamic the superfam has. DC has zero reason to change them back.
    -____-
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-19-2019 at 07:34 AM.

I’m not worried. There’s the Super Sons Ink book aimed at kids. Jon might show up in Young Justice S4. He might show up in the upcoming Arrowverse Crisis. And if all else fails if whoever replaces Bendis reverts Jon and does good work people will come back. Just look at Hickman over on X-Men or Ewing on Hulk. Those two franchises hit the lowest they’re ever gone this decade and have bounced back thanks to good creative teams.

Extraordinary Member

I guess Lois will be getting pregant having a daughter
    who will speed to age 10

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I think what makes it stand out to me is that Jor-El was already killed off; at the end of the Mr. Oz storyline he's disintegrated by what's implied to be Dr. Manhatten. Then Bendis' Man of Steel mini starts and he's back with no explanation.
    Actually, that's not quite right; he wasn't disintegrated, he was being teleported/"vortexed" away. The rest of it, you're absolutely right on - including that he showed up in MoS and nobody mentioned how he was seen last.

We're well past that point now, but that still bugs me.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Actually, that's not quite right; he wasn't disintegrated, he was being teleported/"vortexed" away. The rest of it, you're absolutely right on - including that he showed up in MoS and nobody mentioned how he was seen last.

We're well past that point now, but that still bugs me.
    i totally forgot about mr.oz being Jor-el.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Incredible Member

Personally I think he'll return to being a kid because he's far more marketable as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    who will speed to age 10
    Ha! I've had the same thought.

Bendis *does* tend to put the toys back where he found them.....but he's also been known to leave changes intact and introduce a substitute concept to fill the same space.

Personally, if they are going to have another kid....I am really hoping that they don't age it up. At least for a while. Seeing Clark act like such a perfect father to Jon was one of the most jarring, out of character things I've seen in years. The character's history just does not support that. But in-story, Clark had ten years to adjust and handle the learning curve and become that good father. But we never got to see it; I never got to adjust along with Clark.

So having a second kid....it's not gonna be the same but every child is different and brings new challenges so there's always a version of that learning curve, and this would give us a chance to join Clark on the journey instead of just skipping to the middle like we did with Jon. The stuff we never got to see, we finally could.

And then, once you've done what you need to.....then you can age the kid up to 10 and use them to replace the role Jon-10 filled.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Amazing Member

I feel like I missed some of the story. Where was it shown that Jor-El created Rogol? In another super-book? Did the trial take place in another issue? So Superman has no final conversation with his dad?

Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ha! I've had the same thought.

Bendis *does* tend to put the toys back where he found them.....but he's also been known to leave changes intact and introduce a substitute concept to fill the same space.

Personally, if they are going to have another kid....I am really hoping that they don't age it up. At least for a while. Seeing Clark act like such a perfect father to Jon was one of the most jarring, out of character things I've seen in years. The character's history just does not support that. But in-story, Clark had ten years to adjust and handle the learning curve and become that good father. But we never got to see it; I never got to adjust along with Clark.

So having a second kid....it's not gonna be the same but every child is different and brings new challenges so there's always a version of that learning curve, and this would give us a chance to join Clark on the journey instead of just skipping to the middle like we did with Jon. The stuff we never got to see, we finally could.

And then, once you've done what you need to.....then you can age the kid up to 10 and use them to replace the role Jon-10 filled.
    Just in time to team-up with 10-year old Helena Wayne .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoodleMaster View Post
    I feel like I missed some of the story. Where was it shown that Jor-El created Rogol? In another super-book? Did the trial take place in another issue? So Superman has no final conversation with his dad?

Help.
    It happened in the issue we are talking about. Reread it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    who will speed to age 10
    I can see it now.

Dr. Mid-Nite: push, Lois! You're almost... Push...

Lois: I'm $#&$^@! PUSHING, DOC!

Dr. Mid-Nite:... It's a girl! Congrat--

[From off panel]

Voice: There's no time for that--!

[Cut to their aged up daughter]

Samantha "Sam" Kent: Greetings from tomorrow, mom. I know this is confusing, but the flowers Bruce sent because he couldn't make it? Laced with Viridian Kryptonite, a synthetic breed of his design that can artificially age Kryptonian infants. Don't be mad, I lived this, and I had a great twenty three hours, but I thought you should hear this from me before freaking out and thinking I get kidnapped tomorrow. I wish I could stay but the future needs me! Goodbyeeeee...!

Clark: Well, I'm flummoxed. Let's get takeout.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-19-2019 at 11:16 PM.

BANNED

Lol this is too much.