Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I’m pretty sure this is to help introduce the series. HOX state’s that there needs to be a squad that needs to check deaths and there isn’t really a team for that yet. I can see X-Men #7 being released the same week as a new series dealing with the Protocols.
    Hickman also said in an interview that there will be a series about the resurrections if I remember correctly
    That would be a good place for Nightcrawler given that he isn't on a team yet

I’m pretty sure this is to help introduce the series. HOX states that there needs to be a squad that checks deaths and there isn’t really a team for that yet. I can see X-Men #7 being released the same week as the new series dealing with the Protocols.
    I think thats what X-Force is. I think that was kinda set up in the first issue with Domino

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Hickman also said in an interview that there will be a series about the resurrections if I remember correctly
    That would be a good place for Nightcrawler given that he isn't on a team yet
    Yeah he definitely sounds like the leader of that crew. Hickman even presented some things that could come up:

“If Wolverine is reborn without his Adamantium skeleton, we’ve seen him get it back before and we can replicate that (sure, it sucks, but he’s a tough dude), if he’s born with it, then it’s because the Five were able to tweak his body In Vitro (Vivo? Eggo?) Either way it’s just a process.

What the more interesting question is is why does Cyclops need a visor? Why doesn’t Chamber have a jaw? Does the imprinting of the backup of their mind mean they have to be broken in that familiar way to actually be them?

And we’ve already shown a couple of interesting tweaks like Monet being able to assume a Penance form and Warren being able to be both regular angel and Archangel. So there seems to be some ability to tweak the finished version of a resurrected mutant. Is that also true about their age? Or about other aspects of their physical condition? What about their gender? What about if they want to be backed up from an earlier version? One that hasn’t suffered a particular trauma or had their heart broken?”

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think thats what X-Force is. I think that was kinda set up in the first issue with Domino
    X-Force seems to be more general CIA/politics stuff whereas Hickman said:

Well, again, that sounds like a story…and we even have a series built around resurrection problems coming out next year.
    https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...f-x-questions/

I imagined the book about resurrection problems meant like... Character dealing with issues of dying and/or being resurrected, maybe someone who gets their mind put into another body, someone who they bring back thinking is dead but is actually alive, stuff like that.

Yeah he definitely sounds like the leader of that crew. Hickman even presented some things that could come up:

“If Wolverine is reborn without his Adamantium skeleton, we’ve seen him get it back before and we can replicate that (sure, it sucks, but he’s a tough dude), if he’s born with it, then it’s because the Five were able to tweak his body In Vitro (Vivo? Eggo?) Either way it’s just a process.

What the more interesting question is is why does Cyclops need a visor? Why doesn’t Chamber have a jaw? Does the imprinting of the backup of their mind mean they have to be broken in that familiar way to actually be them?

And we’ve already shown a couple of interesting tweaks like Monet being able to assume a Penance form and Warren being able to be both regular angel and Archangel. So there seems to be some ability to tweak the finished version of a resurrected mutant. Is that also true about their age? Or about other aspects of their physical condition? What about their gender? What about if they want to be backed up from an earlier version? One that hasn’t suffered a particular trauma or had their heart broken?”

X-Force seems to be more general CIA/politics stuff whereas Hickman said:

Well, again, that sounds like a story…and we even have a series built around resurrection problems coming out next year.
    https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...f-x-questions/
    Yes, this is the interview I meant, thanks!

And this series sounds pretty interesting already

BANNED

X-men #8 cover.

BANNED

As per @GerryDuggan X-men #4 is the best issue of Dawn of X yet.

X-Men #3 Venom Island variant cover - Marvel Girl and Cyclops by Belen Ortega

I was going to post this in the X-Men #3 thread, but didn't want to detail it. So I'm posting it here, where probably no one will care to read it.

I wonder if some people who are showing a lot of hatred toward Hickman, this new direction, and/or adjective less X-Men have actually read some of Claremont's stuff from the '70s and '80s. I'm not falsely accusing anyone of anything (especially because I hold Claremont with much high regard as well and absolutely love his era of X-Men); however, I'm currently rereading all of his back issues on Marvel Unlimited and there is some cringe-worthy stuff.

And if you look back at it, his stuff really reads well when you read them all together (like a TPB), but if you're reading it in a single-issue format, it's a lot of random fluff. Yes, I'll admit that I'm a Hickman fan, but he's a scribe just like Claremont. He's writing for a longer and bigger picture that will ultimately pan out.

I get the criticizing his characterization because they feel as if it's cold and distant, but I want to attribute most of that to Yu's art. Art sends a subconscious message out to us. There are plenty of examples out there where the art changes and people's opinions about the book suddenly changes around the same time.

What Hickman is doing is just having fun and creating new stories and characters. Let's give him some slack. I watched the Claremont's X-Men documentary and after, I tried my best to find some more articles and interviews. People were just as critical of his stuff back then, but it still sold REALLY well. It's just that it didn't seem like there was any negative commentary because there wasn't the internet and social media back then.

It's just disheartening to see so many people (and yes, I know CBR isn't an accurate representation of all comic fandom as a whole) so angry and so upset and so belittling nowadays. If you're not enjoying something, there are 80 decades of comics you can go back and read. Marvel Unlimited is only $10/month. If you can afford to buy 2 issues a month, you can afford to subscribe to Marvel Unlimited.
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

How are you guys/girls feeling about the short stories on this book?
    I mean, they are planting seeds for future stories that is cool but something feels off to me

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    I was going to post this in the X-Men #3 thread, but didn't want to detail it. So I'm posting it here, where probably no one will care to read it.

I wonder if some people who are showing a lot of hatred toward Hickman, this new direction, and/or adjective less X-Men have actually read some of Claremont's stuff from the '70s and '80s. I'm not falsely accusing anyone of anything (especially because I hold Claremont with much high regard as well and absolutely love his era of X-Men); however, I'm currently rereading all of his back issues on Marvel Unlimited and there is some cringe-worthy stuff.

And if you look back at it, his stuff really reads well when you read them all together (like a TPB), but if you're reading it in a single-issue format, it's a lot of random fluff. Yes, I'll admit that I'm a Hickman fan, but he's a scribe just like Claremont. He's writing for a longer and bigger picture that will ultimately pan out.

I get the criticizing his characterization because they feel as if it's cold and distant, but I want to attribute most of that to Yu's art. Art sends a subconscious message out to us. There are plenty of examples out there where the art changes and people's opinions about the book suddenly changes around the same time.

What Hickman is doing is just having fun and creating new stories and characters. Let's give him some slack. I watched the Claremont's X-Men documentary and after, I tried my best to find some more articles and interviews. People were just as critical of his stuff back then, but it still sold REALLY well. It's just that it didn't seem like there was any negative commentary because there wasn't the internet and social media back then.

It's just disheartening to see so many people (and yes, I know CBR isn't an accurate representation of all comic fandom as a whole) so angry and so upset and so belittling nowadays. If you're not enjoying something, there are 80 decades of comics you can go back and read. Marvel Unlimited is only $10/month. If you can afford to buy 2 issues a month, you can afford to subscribe to Marvel Unlimited.
    Largely agreed but I wouldn’t attribute the coldness to Yu alone. Hickman’s writing can be sterile, so pairing him with a sterile artist just compounds the issue. Larraz is his perfect partner. His work is lush and expressive and really provides balance to Hickman’s scripts, especially with Gracia’s colors.

Anyway, he’s totally taking a page out of Claremont’s playbook. All this stuff will come back around in a big way. Summer 2020 event might just be the Golden Girl takeover of Krakoa.
    Last edited by The Quiet Councilor; 12-05-2019 at 09:52 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Largely agreed but I wouldn’t attribute the coldness to Yu alone. Hickman’s writing is sterile, so pairing him with a sterile artist just compounds the issue. Larraz is his perfect partner. His work is lush and expressive especially with Gracia’s colors.

Anyway, he’s totally taking a page out of Claremont’s playbook. All this stuff will come back around in a big way. Summer 2020 event might just be the Golden Girl takeover of Krakoa.
    New Mutants isn’t sterile and neither was his FF.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    New Mutants isn’t sterile and neither was his FF.
    I’ll give you New Mutants, but I found his writing to be pretty sterile on FF. I love Hickman, but he’s better at world building and selling concepts than he is at characterization and dialogue.

As another example, East of West is one of the best books around, and Hickman’s scripts thrive because his partner elevates his weaknesses.

I don't think issue #2's dialogue being basically "let's go children", "yeah father", "ok son" is Yu's fault...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post

The comparison to old school Claremont is very apt.
    Thing is stories have grown so stale in the last decade, fans have developped that mentality of reading for the characters and not the story. So it'll be looked over if a story is bad as long as their fave is depicted in a way that is satisfying to them (coughXMenRedcough) and a good story will be criticized if their fave isnt written with the level of quality that they expect or whatever. And a lot of fandoms act like that so no one will ever agree on anything being good. Ppl are acting like HoXPoX was so much better than DoX but when it was coming out, it was another AU story and the rretcons dont work and we dont see the XMen enough and the characterizations are off and the XMen are brainwashed and the continuity is not respected etc.... XMen fans will never be satisfied because theres not as many XMen fans as just characters fans and these are louder.