BANNED

Default X-men by Jonathan Hickman and Leinil Francis Yu Appreciation 2019

The dawn of X is here!

X-MEN #1
    Written by Jonathan Hickman
    Penciled by Leinil Francis Yu
    Cover by Leinil Francis Yu
    A NEW ERA DAWNS FOR THE X-MEN!
    The X-Men find themselves in a whole new world of possibility… and things have never been better! Jonathan Hickman (HOUSE OF X, POWERS OF X, SECRET WARS) and superstar artist Leinil Yu (NEW AVENGERS, CAPTAIN AMERICA) reveal the saga of Cyclops and his hand-picked squad of mutant powerhouses!

X-MEN #2
    Jonathan Hickman and Leinil Francis Yu continue the flagship X-Men title!
    When an island full of unspeakable horrors appears on the horizon, the X-Men have their work cut out for themselves keeping Krakoa safe!
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 09-18-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Cannot wait for this. Hickman has been killing it on HOX/POX and I look forward to seeing what he has in store for the future.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

BANNED

Cyclops.jpg
    Screenshot (24).jpg

So, first issue of X-men #1 will heavily feature Scott, Ororo, Polaris and Magneto, not the Summers family.

how many milkshakes will we get to see before yu evaporates in six issues
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I don't like Yu, so I'm fine with him leaving after #6

I'm fine with Yu on art as long as he's not rushed. Rushed Yu art is basically chicken scratch.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Yu at one point was my favorite artist in the industry, but recently I feel like he has slid back a bit. I'm hoping he'll change my mind with this book because his work on Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk to this day is some of my favorite art ever.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Cyclops.jpg
    Screenshot (24).jpg

So, first issue of X-men #1 will heavily feature Scott, Ororo, Polaris and Magneto, not the Summers family.
    I'm not sure we can extrapolate who is "heavily featured" based on the tiny amount of preview art we've seen? Unless this is coming from somewhere else, like Hickman saying "first issue of X-men #1 will heavily feature Scott, Ororo, Polaris and Magneto, not the Summers family"

Really looking forward to this. Yu seems an odd choice to follow Larraz and Silva, but I'm sure it'll be good, and surely other artists will be rotating in. Maybe even Larraz and Silva!

Hickman has described this as the "all-purpose mutant book" which, others have tried that no-regular-cast approach before and I've not been super into it (Fraction's Utopia stuff comes to mind, though in its defense, that was burdened with a lot of Greg Land art) but I think I'll like this a lot more. Hickman's Avengers started with a huge cast and done-in-one (or two) stories focusing on different groupings but it was all quite enjoyable, and as it went arcs and development for lots of characters did emerge, and not just for the biggest ones.

I always see people say Hickman's emphasis on crazy plots comes at the expense of characterization, but I've always found him to do more with less dialogue than most writers do with a lot. And his Fantastic Four run wasn't short on warmth or digging into every member of the family (including the kids) so I'm hoping this surprises some folks who have found little warmth in HoX/PoX.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    I'm not sure we can extrapolate who is "heavily featured" based on the tiny amount of preview art we've seen? Unless this is coming from somewhere else, like Hickman saying "first issue of X-men #1 will heavily feature Scott, Ororo, Polaris and Magneto, not the Summers family"
    Actually Hickman/Jordan confirmed it in one of the magazines.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Looking forward to this. I hope Yu gives us some good art.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Fantastic Member

Ready for it

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

hoping this series do jean justice
    we can be heroes, just for one day

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    hoping this series do jean justice
    Lol. She most likely not a regular here. You want to read about her you should check X-force.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Very hyped since this is the only book my favorite (Cyclops) seems to be showing up in. I hope he gets another team book with wave 2

This is the book I'm more excited for