Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
Being very familiar with HiX-Man's previous works, I think the quality is as expected...but that's me comparing it to his previous works and not to that of other, previous X-writers.

As a reader (since the 80's) who's been enjoying the DoX books...I am fully engaged. I am fully entertained. I feel for these characters and I remain fully invested in the stories HCo. is bringing to the table...because they are NOT the same types of stories/characters I became familiar (and eventually bored) with from decades of complacent, stale and rehashed storytelling. I am being forced to see these characters in a different light and I'm very happy with that.

(Not) Taking those 'differences' I listed into account...the general arguments, against this new status-quo in general and HiX-Man specifically, I've read throughout these threads since HoX/PoX started, come down to two basics and obviously personal truths (in lieu of: "The story is crap. The writing is bad. The art is trash")

1: These are not My X-Men/the X-Men I know/The (insert single character here) I love.
2: These are not the kinds of stories involving My X-Men, I want to read.

Some readers just cannot come to terms with those truths or with the idea that they have to now alter their personal visions of these stories and characters.
And when looked at from that perspective, the fault(s) does not lie with the creatives.
That's pretty much a universal factor of every fandom I've ever been a part of though, to be honest.

It comes from a place of passion; we love these characters, we want to know what's going on with them on a more personal level and not at the extent of the plot, which feels like what's happened to some readers but yet seems to have just been dismissed under the banner of 'complaining.'

I think you've over-simplified those grievances to be honest and, not to mention, left out one more important argument:

3. The character's motivations aren't properly established outside of a meta-commentary which was only given a passing glance on the page.

The only reaction we were given to Moira's idea was from Magneto, but he does not speak for all mutants. We don't have a reason for why Scott trusts Charles so absolutely, the reunification between the two, why Ororo has become so seemingly jaded. All we know is: Charles said so.

And that's not enough for some fans like myself and it's a valid criticism. Another valid criticism is in the storytelling itself; actual emotion/reaction and introspection on the most important parts of these issues brought up hasn't been done on panel. We see it in data pages; however, those are not the character's reactions, nor thoughts, nor anything. That's just text: why are mutants happy to share their psychic energy with Krakoa, show us on panel and make us feel the same way, otherwise it can just come across as creepy depending on the reader's idea of it.

And after so many years of reading such rich stories with such emotion and heart in them, where each voice was so distinct from the last and each character was given at least a moment to react to something, this just feels so sterile and clinical. Concept is one thing, but if you can't execute it with your characters and not around them, then you shouldn't be above critique for it.