Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What if there were no male mutants (technically)?

Brought it up in the "create a what if" thread, decided to risk giving it a seperate one. Mildly inspired by Alara Rogers' XXY Genderswap project, which was partially created to focus on mutants as feminists. Prepare for terrible genetic science!

So, what I'm proposing is that the X-gene only manifests itself when the carrier has two x-chromosomes. The carriers with xy chromosomes still have the X-gene, but it doesn't manifest itself, so the carrier doesn't have powers. In other words, the male mutants of canon still exist, they just don't have powers, though their daughters will.

What happens when there's no Professor X, Magneto, Apocalypse, or Cyclops, but there is Destiny, Mystique, Selene, and Jean Grey?
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 12-18-2019 at 06:14 PM.

See Claymore...an oldish anime with the same premise. (Kinda)
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    See Claymore...an oldish anime with the same premise. (Kinda)
    I remember that. Didn't they only turn women into Claymores because men didn't have the testicular fortitude (I am choosing my words very deliberately, in this case) to resist going full yoma?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

If mutant powers only manifested in women I imagine humanity would attempt to kill them off even quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Brought it up in the "create a what if" thread, decided to risk giving it a seperate one. Mildly inspired by Alara Rogers' XXY Genderswap project, which was partially created to focus on mutants as feminists. Prepare for terrible genetic science!

So, what I'm proposing is that the X-gene only manifests itself when the carrier has two x-chromosomes. The carriers with xy chromosomes still have the X-gene, but it doesn't manifest itself, so the carrier doesn't have powers. In other words, the male mutants of canon still exist, they just don't have powers, though their daughters will.

What happens when there's no Professor X, Magneto, Apocalypse, or Cyclops, but there is Destiny, Mystique, Selene, and Jean Grey?
    I don't think Storm used her mutant powers to overcome Malice did she?
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I remember that. Didn't they only turn women into Claymores because men didn't have the testicular fortitude (I am choosing my words very deliberately, in this case) to resist going full yoma?
    Heeeh. The premise is that 'powering up' creates a sensation comparable to an intense orgasm. Because female physiology allows them to go months to years without orgasming, they can better resist the urge to go wild and indulge in their powers, compared to most guys who're like "F*** yeah! Cleanup on aisle three!"
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Some peeps come up with really weird ideas.

Why on earth would you want no males?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

No males? The males with X-gene would be not viable? Then the female mutants wouldn't want to have male babies… What for? And then their partners could be only 'humans'.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Graphic yuri action. "Hisako once again defied Jean, but the fiery redhead was through playing games! Using her power to telekinetically hold the younger woman in place, Jean gripped Hisako by the jaw and began stroking her silky black hair. "Now we'll see who's boss," she murmured huskily, before slowly leaning in, when the sudden sound of a slamming door made her jump!

"There room for one more at this party?" smirked Thumbelina.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Ultimate Member

There'd still be male characters. They'd be the Candi Southerns and Lee Forresters and Trish Tilbys and Charlotte Jones and Gabrielle Hallers and Mariko Yashidas and Princess Lilandras and Amanda Seftons of the X-Verse, not mutants, but still able to be part of the storyline, so much as the writers choose to focus on them.

And, like Lilandra or Amanda (or T'Challa!), not being a mutant specifically, certainly doesn't have to mean powerless or weak! Some could be sorcerers or empowered by gamma rays, cosmic rays, radioactive spider bites, Eternal or Inhuman or Asgardian or Atlantean heritage, etc., etc.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You get Madoka Magica.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

You'd have no X-Men. Doesn't take a genius. Why don't you just say... what if we had no x-men... on the x-men boards...?

Something like this

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Something like this

Feels like you're assuming women need to be shot. Seems a tad extreme. Dial it back a notch tiger.