Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default New Mutants by Jonathan Hickman, Ed Brisson and Rod Reis Appreciation 2019

NEW MUTANTS #1 AND #2

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN & ED BRISSON (Issue #1)
    Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN (Issue #2)
    Art by ROD REIS
    Cover by ROD REIS
    THE NEW GENERATION CLAIMS THE DAWN!
    The classic New Mutants (Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Karma, Magik, and Cypher) get together with a few new friends (Chamber, Mondo) to seek out their missing member and share the good news… a mission that takes them into space alongside the Starjammers!
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 09-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Can't wait for this!

Hickman is a professed fan of the original New Mutants volume, and has done great work with Roberto in his Avengers stuff, plus had Sam marry a member of the Imperial Guard, which is surely who the team are heading to find in space.

Hickman said he's co-writing the first arc because it deals with crucial setup for things the x-line will need later. When this was first stated, I assumed it was limited to mutants' relationship with the Shi'ar, and how Moira may want a more favorable relationship than the one described spoilers:
    in her 9th life timeline
    end of spoilers

But in subsequent issues of Powers of X including the most recent, there now seems to be interesting long-term stuff in play for spoilers:
    Doug and his transmode arm -- is that Warlock? Is he still sentient? We've seen Doug infect part of Krakoa with the transmode virus which seems not-insignificant, and we've seen that in the future of Moira's 9th life he's fully merged with Krakoa. We also now better understand Warlock's relationship to the Phalanx, who look to have a major role yet to play. Meanwhile, we've learned about ancient Krakoa's twin island, which seems to have been infested with demons, before being driven underground by Apocalypse. If this turns out to be Limbo -- and Hickman did reference Inferno a few times in PoX #4 -- then surely Illyana has a major role to come as well.
    end of spoilers

All that is very exciting, but I mostly just can't wait to spend time with this crew all together again. They're the best.

Fantastic Member

Id be cool with adding Monet and Cannonball

BANNED

Jonathan's more direct involvement with this book certainly makes it more interesting.

Screenshot (27).jpg
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 09-16-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    Id be cool with adding Monet and Cannonball
    I strongly expect that adding Cannonball is the inciting force of the first arc.

I love the New Mutants [except Rahne], especially Magik, so I'm happy about the book and that it's partly written by Hickman himself.

As a 90s teen, Generation X was my New Mutants, so I'm very happy to see Chamber and the criminally underused [even in the 90s] Mondo with them in space. I wonder if Mondo's absorbed part of Krakoa.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Yesss, I am so ready for this series. I am anticipating some good character interactions.

I’m still reading the New Mutants books, but I like these kids and I’m eager to see how they and Mondo and Chamber interact.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

My kids! <3<3<3

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    All that is very exciting, but I mostly just can't wait to spend time with this crew all together again. They're the best.
    This ^ . It's great that we have the whole team (Sam is present in the plot, even being -for the moment- missing). I also like Chamber, and Mondo's got potential.

The art looks quite good, too.

EDIT: I've just noticed that Amara is not there.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 09-17-2019 at 03:06 AM.

BANNED

These are the MVPs to me.

I still have mixed feelings about them being in the school uniforms and called "the New Mutants" at this late stage, but I get it branding-wise - to a point. I'd like to see them all evolve into newer identities the way Hickman did with Sam and Bobby, and the way Illyana has become a member of the core teams. It's true that the Utopia era made 'everyone' an X-Man and we've seen them all in action as X-Men often since (except maybe poor Rahne whose return to normalcy is sorely welcomed after years of X-Force and PAD kind of grinding her up IMO, and Amara who I frankly don't care about). But being a recurring team member cropping up on an arc basis is not the same thing as Sam and Bobby becoming Avengers, or Illyana being a fixture in the main prestige books. And I'd still like new costumes.

I do have great faith in Hickman, who loves them. So that makes me very excited.

BANNED

I'm hoping for panels and panels of Sunspot smugness

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Admittedly, I've never read a New Mutants series but I've been a fan of Roberto and Sam in Hickman's avengers run for a while now.

I'm so happy Roberto is the proper color. Can't wait for this book.

This book will be amazing. My babies. My children. My precious New Mutants. I'm overjoyed.
    I echo the "Bring Monet" sentiment from a few posts ago as Roberto-x-Monet is the hill I'm willing to die on. haha.
    But this book looks beautiful and and and and <passes out>

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    This book will be amazing. My babies. My children. My precious New Mutants. I'm overjoyed.
    I echo the "Bring Monet" sentiment from a few posts ago as Roberto-x-Monet is the hill I'm willing to die on. haha.
    But this book looks beautiful and and and and <passes out>
    I would die if they brought Monet here and paired her and Roberto. Best potential power couple of the franchise.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I would die if they brought Monet here and paired her and Roberto. Best potential power couple of the franchise.
    I agree with you guys on this. They would make a great match.