Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 85
  1. #16
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    Has there ever been a bankable action star as old (73 years old as of July 2019) as Sylvester Stallone?

  2. #17
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    You can read my review of the film here if you so wish. I thought it was a genuinely repugnant, evil-minded and duplicitous piece of far-right propaganda. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  3. #18
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Has there ever been a bankable action star as old (73 years old as of July 2019) as Sylvester Stallone?
    Chuck Norris is 79, and if the right concept was brought to him, I would think it would be a hit.

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Chuck Norris is 79, and if the right concept was brought to him, I would think it would be a hit.
    Hmm...Missing in Action 4?

  5. #20
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    You can read my review of the film here if you so wish. I thought it was a genuinely repugnant, evil-minded and duplicitous piece of far-right propaganda. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

    I read your review.

    Yikes.

    I loved FIRST BLOOD, only saw parts of RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II, and never saw RAMBO III nor 2008's RAMBO.

    I think I'll pass on RAMBO: LAST BLOOD. Didn't know Sly was an avid right-winger who aggressively pushed that view onto this movie.

    And unlike the Rockyverse, which found new blood with the CREED series, the Ramboverse isn't passing the torch to anyone. ROCKY BALBOA would have been the end of the Rockyverse franchise if not for Michael B. Jordan (and more so, Ryan Coogler).

    Didn't 2008's RAMBO leave John Rambo in a good place at the end? Shouldn't the franchise just have stopped there?

    Are we just going to have to mark LAST BLOOD as #notcanon?

    Looks like the new Dowton Abby movie is beating it at the box office this weekend.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,728

    Default

    Fans don't decide Canon this current era of fan entitlement is getting ridiculous I hate a lot of sequels but I don't get to choose Canon.

  7. #22

    Default

    I'll eventually check it out. The last one, I saw in a "discount" theater after it already had been in first-run theaters for at least six weeks. In my area, those second-run theaters aren't around anymore.
    If anything, I'll check out a matinee.

    I've read that the film is 90 minutes, which, if true, is kind of disappointing. I figured they'd make it 2 hours, assuming that this is the last one.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Fans don't decide Canon this current era of fan entitlement is getting ridiculous I hate a lot of sequels but I don't get to choose Canon.
    Disagree. Each individual gets to decide what is canon or not. What isn't acceptable is to try to force their view on everyone else.

    You'll never convince me, personally, that any Star Wars after Return Of The Jedi is canon. But I have no problem with anyone else thinking otherwise.

    I agree that fans as a group don't get to decide. It's equally important to agree that corporations don't get to arbitrarily decide either.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 09-21-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  9. #24
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I read your review.

    Yikes.

    I loved FIRST BLOOD, only saw parts of RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II, and never saw RAMBO III nor 2008's RAMBO.

    I think I'll pass on RAMBO: LAST BLOOD. Didn't know Sly was an avid right-winger who aggressively pushed that view onto this movie.

    And unlike the Rockyverse, which found new blood with the CREED series, the Ramboverse isn't passing the torch to anyone. ROCKY BALBOA would have been the end of the Rockyverse franchise if not for Michael B. Jordan (and more so, Ryan Coogler).

    Didn't 2008's RAMBO leave John Rambo in a good place at the end? Shouldn't the franchise just have stopped there?

    Are we just going to have to mark LAST BLOOD as #notcanon?

    Looks like the new Dowton Abby movie is beating it at the box office this weekend.
    And deservedly too. Downton is a stone-cold masterpiece in comparison.

    I actually have no idea how Rambo ever got out of the '80s. Frankly, I thought that Hot Shots Part Deux punctured the whole series once and for all.

    And, to be clear, I love the Rocky series and the Rocky character and I can't believe that either of them could come from the same brain who made Last Blood.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  10. #25
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Disagree. Each individual gets to decide what is canon or not. What isn't acceptable is to try to force their view on everyone else.

    You'll never convince me, personally, that any Star Wars after Return Of The Jedi is canon. But I have no problem with anyone else thinking otherwise.

    I agree that fans as a group don't get to decide. It's equally important to agree that corporations don't get to arbitrarily decide either.
    A fan can ignore a film, book, or series but they don't get to decided Canon that's how you get gatekeepers.

    I hate the Prequels I also hate Star Trek Discovery I can choose to ignore those entries into the franchise and not watch them and complain about them but I don't get to say they're not Canon they are not my property or creations thus like all fans I don't get a say.

    Also if a corporation owns the property than yeah they do get a say unlike fans.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-21-2019 at 02:54 PM.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Also if a corporation owns the property than yeah they do get a say unlike fans.
    You get to decide that for yourself. You dont get to decide that for anyone else.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    You get to decide that for yourself. You dont get to decide that for anyone else.
    No if someone owns something they get the say no one else.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    No if someone owns something they get the say no one else.
    It's fine that you feel that way. Just don't get pissed at other people for having a different view. It's a personal choice, and they are all valid.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  14. #29
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    Welp, Downton Abbey stomped Last Blood at the box office, $31M to $19M.

    Downton is also getting stellar reviews across the board, while Rambo is also getting trashed critically.

    Thing is, Rambo didn't require a huge budget and may actually still turn a profit domestically.

    Not enough to ever greenlight yet another sequel, of course ...

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Disagree. Each individual gets to decide what is canon or not. What isn't acceptable is to try to force their view on everyone else.

    You'll never convince me, personally, that any Star Wars after Return Of The Jedi is canon. But I have no problem with anyone else thinking otherwise.


    I agree that fans as a group don't get to decide. It's equally important to agree that corporations don't get to arbitrarily decide either.
    No the owner of the property decides canon. Fans can choose to ignore it or not. But canon has a meaning and in this context it is the officially recognized timeline.

    Nobody has to convince you that any post ROTJ are canon. They are. You can ignore them, but that doesn’t make them any less part of the officially timeline.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •