Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Yup. Frankly, I've always wanted someone to mention this to the X-Telepaths and insult them for being remedial mutants or somesuch.
    It is an oddity, and one that implies that magically-capable folk like Ilyanna could straight up *learn* to have Jean Grey's powers, or that someone like Moondragon or Mantis or even Dr. freeking Druid could *teach* just about anyone to have her powers.

Heck, back in the day, Jean herself seemed to 'learn' telepathy from the Professor, being primarily a telekinetic...

It should be noted that I've even seen mutates hold mutants in contempt. I'm guessing the idea is that their way of getting power is more "earned" then being born with it. I remember Norman Osborn saying that he believes the mutants will one day rise up and kill everyone (to be fair, Osborn kinda hates everyone and has prejudices towards women, the lower class, and aliens, but still).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    It should be noted that I've even seen mutates hold mutants in contempt. I'm guessing the idea is that their way of getting power is more "earned" then being born with it. I remember Norman Osborn saying that he believes the mutants will one day rise up and kill everyone (to be fair, Osborn kinda hates everyone and has prejudices towards women, the lower class, and aliens, but still).
    I always figured that was Norman projecting his own psychopathy on everyone else. He talked a good game about wanting to instill order and prevent (further) superhuman chaos from breaking out and ultimately destroying the world, but he was always in it for himself and his own power and advancement. "Mutants rising up and killing everyone" was just him trying to exploit anti-mutant sentiment (as well as general anti-superhuman/superhero sentiment) to get the public on his side, as he presented himself as the strongman who'd get everything under control and not go soft on "threats to humanity," i.e. threats to his own powerbase. That was all it ever was, really.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I first saw the word "mutate" during Civil War. I don't remember the exact comic or issue, but there was something debriefing certain characters (and I guess their stance on the Superhero Registration Act), and it described T'Challa as a "science-mystic mutate". I don't know if it counts as a in-universe use. I think they were meant to be SHIELD files.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I first saw the word "mutate" during Civil War. I don't remember the exact comic or issue, but there was something debriefing certain characters (and I guess their stance on the Superhero Registration Act), and it described T'Challa as a "science-mystic mutate". I don't know if it counts as a in-universe use. I think they were meant to be SHIELD files.
    "Science-mystic" sounds about right, given that his abilities are technically quantifiable through scientific analysis, specifically super-soldier-level physical prowess and enhanced senses stemming from consuming an herb that only grows in Wakanda, but since that herb, along with Wakanda as a whole, was blessed by an actual divine being, mysticism factors into it, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.