View Poll Results: Would you play a Marvel fighting game?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 90.91%
  • No

    1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    619

    Default My ideal Marvel fighting game

    DC has the Injustice series, which does really well (but isn't my cup of tea for reasons besides being DC) and it makes me think Marvel should have an answer to a game like that. The closest there is to that is Marvel vs. Capcom, but I really want to see a game focused entirely on the Marvel side.

    For that reason, I've made this detailing what I'd love to see out of a Marvel fighting game. Plus, I was bored.

    Enjoy!

    To begin, I've played Dragon Ball FighterZ and I'm honestly blown away by the sheer amount of polish, detail, visual style, and of course, the mechanics. It's basically everything Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite should have been. I honestly think Marvel should hire Arc System Works to make a fighting game for them, it's the best bet. Ideally, Marvel should be hands-off with this game to ensure the best product, because after Spider-Man PS4 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 being successful for it, I hope they got the idea.

    Here's how I imagine it:

    Details:
    • All Marvel characters.
    • 3v3 battles, fluid and fast-paced gameplay with tagging, assists, and special moves related to their abilities.
    • Detailed, cel-shaded graphics that looks like a comic book come to life.
    • Robust online system, with things like fighter names, title cards, portraits, and of course ranked and casual matches.
    • Overall, a good amount of content like single player, collectibles, and modes to keep you busy both online and off.

    Modes:
    • Story: A single-player mode telling the story of the game.
    • Arcade: Fight 10 rounds of CPU opponents.
    • Versus Mode: Fight a single match against a player-controlled or CPU team.
    • Challenge: Take part in various challenges by fighting with different rules or conditions than normal.
    • Training: Practice with your character and team to become the best you can be.
    • Gallery: View bios, concept art, endings and more.
    • Shop: Buy various items at the shop, such as costumes, gallery pieces, and other goodies.

    Online
    • Ranked: Play matches against people from all over to improve your standing in the leaderboard.
    • Casual: Play matches that don't affect your rank.
    • Tournament: Play up to 16 players in an elimination bracket.
    • Theater: View replays of past matches.

    Story
    The story mode is a loose adaptation of Hickman's Avengers run, that also brings in other characters such as the X-Men, various individuals, and villains, as they battle for the fate of the universe. The villains shuffle each time, but Doctor Doom is the ultimate final boss.

    Roster


    I chose the roster based on a variety of factors: Star-power, interesting movesets, relevancy in the lore, or deep cuts with potential. I feel like balance is the key, because otherwise you end up with an MCU roster like MvCI, which was painfully boring. I have a reason for why I picked each character for my ideal game, if you have any questions, let me know.

    Anyways, would you play a game like this? Do you want a game like this?

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    DC has the Injustice series, which does really well (but isn't my cup of tea for reasons besides being DC) and it makes me think Marvel should have an answer to a game like that. The closest there is to that is Marvel vs. Capcom, but I really want to see a game focused entirely on the Marvel side.

    For that reason, I've made this detailing what I'd love to see out of a Marvel fighting game. Plus, I was bored.

    Enjoy!

    To begin, I've played Dragon Ball FighterZ and I'm honestly blown away by the sheer amount of polish, detail, visual style, and of course, the mechanics. It's basically everything Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite should have been. I honestly think Marvel should hire Arc System Works to make a fighting game for them, it's the best bet. Ideally, Marvel should be hands-off with this game to ensure the best product, because after Spider-Man PS4 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 being successful for it, I hope they got the idea.

    Here's how I imagine it:

    Details:
    • All Marvel characters.
    • 3v3 battles, fluid and fast-paced gameplay with tagging, assists, and special moves related to their abilities.
    • Detailed, cel-shaded graphics that looks like a comic book come to life.
    • Robust online system, with things like fighter names, title cards, portraits, and of course ranked and casual matches.
    • Overall, a good amount of content like single player, collectibles, and modes to keep you busy both online and off.

    Modes:
    • Story: A single-player mode telling the story of the game.
    • Arcade: Fight 10 rounds of CPU opponents.
    • Versus Mode: Fight a single match against a player-controlled or CPU team.
    • Challenge: Take part in various challenges by fighting with different rules or conditions than normal.
    • Training: Practice with your character and team to become the best you can be.
    • Gallery: View bios, concept art, endings and more.
    • Shop: Buy various items at the shop, such as costumes, gallery pieces, and other goodies.

    Online
    • Ranked: Play matches against people from all over to improve your standing in the leaderboard.
    • Casual: Play matches that don't affect your rank.
    • Tournament: Play up to 16 players in an elimination bracket.
    • Theater: View replays of past matches.

    Story
    The story mode is a loose adaptation of Hickman's Avengers run, that also brings in other characters such as the X-Men, various individuals, and villains, as they battle for the fate of the universe. The villains shuffle each time, but Doctor Doom is the ultimate final boss.

    Roster


    I chose the roster based on a variety of factors: Star-power, interesting movesets, relevancy in the lore, or deep cuts with potential. I feel like balance is the key, because otherwise you end up with an MCU roster like MvCI, which was painfully boring. I have a reason for why I picked each character for my ideal game, if you have any questions, let me know.

    Anyways, would you play a game like this? Do you want a game like this?

    Discuss.
    No love for the F4.
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  3. #3
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Problem with the F4 is that they were made as a team and play off each other. Individually, it's hard to make them stand out as fighters without seeming redundant. Capcom said as much with the MvC series.

  4. #4
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Problem with the F4 is that they were made as a team and play off each other. Individually, it's hard to make them stand out as fighters without seeming redundant. Capcom said as much with the MvC series.
    True, but a Marvel game without them seems strange epseiclaly with the rights issues fixed. Also they could have some unique attacks, Reed could stech like Dhalsim, Sue would have her invibsility and manipulate her force-fields, Johnny fire powers could be used in a variey of ways, Ben would be the toughest to make him different from the likes of the Hulk
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Problem with the F4 is that they were made as a team and play off each other. Individually, it's hard to make them stand out as fighters without seeming redundant. Capcom said as much with the MvC series.
    Sue and Johnny's powers are unique enough for video games.
    Get the INVISIBLE WOMAN mini OUT NOW!


    Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

  6. #6

    Default

    My only real requirement for a marvel fighting game (aside from the generic 'be good') is the inclusion of Elektra.

  7. #7
    Resident of The Djalia Blind Wedjat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    I like the general idea around this, but no Black Widow is disappointing.

    I know some people might not like this but I would like to see a Marvel fighting game with a roster that includes the street level, more martial arts oriented characters of the Marvel Universe. It's limiting and could potentially be just a reskin of Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter or Tekken, but if it's got a good concept and story behind it, I think it would work.

    The roster could include but not be limited to:

    1. Captain America
    2. Black Widow
    3. Hawkeye/Ronin
    4. Deadpool
    5. Wolverine
    6. Daredevil
    7. Elektra
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Shang-Chi
    10. Psylocke
    11. Karnak
    12. Black Panther
    13. Moon Knight
    14. X-23
    15. White Tiger (Ava Ayala)
    16. Bullseye
    17. Gamora
    18. Fat Cobra
    19. Taskmaster
    20. Gambit
    21. Echo
    22. Mantis
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 09-17-2019 at 07:20 AM.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Hmmm, methinks someone likes Arc System Works. You have a whole thing plotted out, but now I'm curious as to the type of music you would have in your Marvel game.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Hmmm, methinks someone likes Arc System Works. You have a whole thing plotted out, but now I'm curious as to the type of music you would have in your Marvel game.
    Yeah, I have an active imagination and I really want an all-Marvel game made. Seriously, I've talked to other people and they agree the ASW would be perfect for an all-Marvel game.

    As for music, I imagine some themes being:
    • Deadpool -- Golden-age hip-hop
    • Ghost Rider -- Metal (thrash)
    • Taskmaster -- A remix of another person's theme (if you get the joke, good on you)
    • Captain America -- Orchestral
    • Iron Man -- Industrial
    • X-23 -- Synthpop
    • Psylocke -- Traditional Japanese flutes with a hip-hop beat
    • Moon Knight -- Egyptian-style music with an "off" feel, hinting at the insanity
    • Thor -- Metal (speed)
    • Ultron -- Techno

    Makes sense.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I like the general idea around this, but no Black Widow is disappointing.

    I know some people might not like this but I would like to see a Marvel fighting game with a roster that includes the street level, more martial arts oriented characters of the Marvel Universe. It's limiting and could potentially be just a reskin of Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter or Tekken, but if it's got a good concept and story behind it, I think it would work.

    The roster could include but not be limited to:

    1. Captain America
    2. Black Widow
    3. Hawkeye/Ronin
    4. Deadpool
    5. Wolverine
    6. Daredevil
    7. Elektra
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Shang-Chi
    10. Psylocke
    11. Karnak
    12. Black Panther
    13. Moon Knight
    14. X-23
    15. White Tiger (Ava Ayala)
    16. Bullseye
    17. Gamora
    18. Fat Cobra
    19. Taskmaster
    20. Gambit
    21. Echo
    Issue with Black Widow, as MvCI showed us, is that in a fighting game she's boring. She's just an unpowered kick chick who using shock gauntlets, which isn't particularly exciting to watch. It's like how Winter Soldier is boring, in the he just has a metal arm and a gun. Even other normals like Hawkeye with a bow and trick arrows, Moon Knight with moon-themed gadgets (and possibly summoning a vehicle), Taskmaster his with his wide variety of different weapons and styles, Daredevil with his arcobatics and billy club, Bullseye with his percisions throwing weapons and guns, and Shang-Chi with his superhuman martial arts and electric nunchaku, all feel more exciting in a fighting game than someone who kicks and use gauntlets.

  11. #11
    Resident of The Djalia Blind Wedjat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Issue with Black Widow, as MvCI showed us, is that in a fighting game she's boring. She's just an unpowered kick chick who using shock gauntlets, which isn't particularly exciting to watch. It's like how Winter Soldier is boring, in the he just has a metal arm and a gun. Even other normals like Hawkeye with a bow and trick arrows, Moon Knight with moon-themed gadgets (and possibly summoning a vehicle), Taskmaster his with his wide variety of different weapons and styles, Daredevil with his arcobatics and billy club, Bullseye with his percisions throwing weapons and guns, and Shang-Chi with his superhuman martial arts and electric nunchaku, all feel more exciting in a fighting game than someone who kicks and use gauntlets.
    I'd argue the most boring person on my list is Elektra, even though she's one of Marvel's most prominent martial arts characters. She's pretty much just a ninja with no unique abilities.

    First, the MCU gave Black Widow a unique fighting style that I've seen a lot of action heroines afterwards rip off. The scissor kick/leg take down thing seems played out now, but when Black Widow first did it in 2010 nobody knew what the hell she just did and it became her thing. Incorporate that into her fighting style and she already stands out. Second, Black Widow has a lot of potential as a tech oriented fighter considering she's a spy. Handguns, stun batons, stun disks, tonfas, grapple hooks, grenades, hell even the pepper spray can make her feel unique. She can be very similar to Sonya Blade from Mortal Kombat if someone works hard enough for it.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    4,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Problem with the F4 is that they were made as a team and play off each other. Individually, it's hard to make them stand out as fighters without seeming redundant. Capcom said as much with the MvC series.
    Bull. A Marvel Fighting game without some of the FF seems to be missing something (unless it’s a specific game with the Avengers or X-Men). Personally I would have Invisible Woman and either Mister Fantastic or Thing. Capcom honestly got lazy and disrespectful of the Marvel brand with MVCI by thinking 13 characters with just two women and three villains at launch was enough. There should always be one female character for every three male characters at least.

    I do love the idea of Arc doing the game though, since the story content would be incredible and have multiple campaigns with heroes and villains. The only thing that they missed in DBFZ I would include is proper endings for Arcade mode. So maybe an Avengers campaign, an X-Men campaign, a Marvel Knights/Fantastic Four campaign, a Guardians/Cosmic campaign and a villain campaign to finish.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    I’m a big fan of the mobile game, Marvel Contest of Champions.

    Ideally, I’d like to see a console version of that. You’d have to overhaul the control system and add multiplayer capabilities but otherwise I wouldn’t change much.

    I’d keep the animations and character models intact because it’s a shiny, good looking game.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    4,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I’m a big fan of the mobile game, Marvel Contest of Champions.

    Ideally, I’d like to see a console version of that. You’d have to overhaul the control system and add multiplayer capabilities but otherwise I wouldn’t change much.

    I’d keep the animations and character models intact because it’s a shiny, good looking game.
    As long as the greedy cash grabbing crystals weren’t included and it played a lot more complex and some solid single player modes, it could work as a template.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    As long as the greedy cash grabbing crystals weren’t included and it played a lot more complex and some solid single player modes, it could work as a template.
    I'd keep the crystals, but just make them more plentiful and no way to pay money for anything ever.
    That way you're still gaining the heroes in a random order and have to play with a few you wouldn't normally, while waiting to get others.
    But I would also do a monthly 'pick a hero' crystal, so you can pick who you get every so often.

    And if they add two new heroes each month, there will always be someone new to add to the random pool, even with the monthly pick.

    As for graphics, I'd use the Future Fight character models instead of Contest of Champions' action figure looks.
    Gameplay, I'd keep.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •