Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hippoltya

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One thing it's never clear. How strong is Hippolyta and how strong should her griddle make her?
    I feel she doesn't need a magic girdle anymore, it hasn't been seen or mentioned that I can recall since early Perez. She's already an Amazon which makes her strong, then she took a trip thru the Source Wall which made her stronger. She was able to assume the mantle of Wonder Woman, battle Imperiex and go toe to toe with Diana so she'a as strong as she needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I feel she doesn't need a magic girdle anymore, it hasn't been seen or mentioned that I can recall since early Perez. She's already an Amazon which makes her strong, then she took a trip thru the Source Wall which made her stronger. She was able to assume the mantle of Wonder Woman, battle Imperiex and go toe to toe with Diana so she'a as strong as she needs to be.
    The girdle of Hippolyte is one of those details that has been carried since classical times, and I'd be loath to drop it. However, it need not be an item of strength—that seems to be an invention by Marston.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The girdle of Hippolyte is one of those details that has been carried since classical times, and I'd be loath to drop it. However, it need not be an item of strength—that seems to be an invention by Marston.
    That's just it, it hasn't been carried since classical times, it was dropped a long time ago. If someone captures it they have the key to the entire Amazon nation, so to me it seems to be a source of trouble and conflict. I'd rather dive deeper into DC Amazon lore and bring back the magic sphere and mental radios.

How about this. Hippolyta has it but it's an item she doesn't wear often. Only in serious situations

One thing it's never clear. How strong is Hippolyta and how strong should her griddle make her?
    Didn't the Golden Girdle make Hippolyta unbeatable? Meaning it would make her stronger and stronger to beat any opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Didn't the Golden Girdle make Hippolyta unbeatable? Meaning it would make her stronger and stronger to beat any opponent?
    Not only makes her unbeatable but the Amazons as well.

I just reread WW #1 and that wasn't said.

RCO012.jpg

The girdle didn't keep Hippolyta from being drugged and beaten and she wasn't wearing it when she and the Amazons turned the tables and rained bloody hell down on their captors. Hippolyta's girdle was stolen by Heracles, the one she wore afterwards was Antiope's that she relinquished when wanting nothing from Olympus, she went off to start the Bana tribe. Later it was hammered into the Lasso of Truth by Hephaestus.

*Just as an aside* Perez showed how to make an Amazon battle awesome! There were plenty depictions of graphic violence but the thing that sold it was the narration. It made GWW's Themysciran fight with Grail seem like a tea party at Buckingham Palace.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-22-2019 at 07:18 PM.

In the golden age, it's said. When Hippolyta was sculpted she was given the griddle by Aphrodite.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    That's a Marston invention.

I'm open for the girdle having some other role or function (in Greek myth it's largely a McGuffin), but I think it's important that Hippolyta does wear a golden girdle.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That's a Marston invention.

I'm open for the girdle having some other role or function (in Greek myth it's largely a McGuffin), but I think it's important that Hippolyta does wear a golden girdle.
    The girdle hasn't been in seen or heard about in 30 years, the Amazon's bracelets are far more important and symbolic yet many are no longer wearing them either.

Up until post crisis, their bracelets symbolized them being abused by the man’s world. Also them having to take off their bracelets would send them into a rage mode which would make them stronger. I often wonder how that would work into modern Wonder Woman. That the Amazons are far more powerful by that power is hard to control

BANNED

I like to see her as the wonder woman of WW II era. She works well in JSA as Wonder Woman, since there is no Superman or Batman to out shadow her, she really shines as the heavy hitter warrior of the team.

edit---

Kind of out of subject but I believe Wonder Woman should be in JSA... robbing JSA from all of its big names hurt the team. Like taking Hawkman, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel and putting them in JLA and stuff... If Wonder Woman was in JSA, there wouldn't be anyother character to out shine her and JSA would have bigger name to sell better, it's a win win.
    Last edited by Gurz; 09-23-2019 at 01:33 PM.

I mean should there be more than one Wonder Woman? Since we have the Banas. Should they have their own champion out as well?

I mean should there be more than one Wonder Woman? Since we have the Banas. Should they have their own champion out as well?
    No, I hate the idea of duplicates running around. Cheap wannabes are the biggest bore in comicbooks.

I mean does that mean the Amazons shouldn’t do anything during WW2? Even if Wonder Woman didn’t exist shouldn’t they do something ?