Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hippoltya

Default Hippoltya

Not only has the mother but also has a character, how do you feel about her? What's been your favortive version? I like Marston's

I liked when there was that time she was covering for Diana as Wonder Woman and hung around the JSA. I also really, really loved her relationship with Wildcat!

Now that she and Paradise Island are back around, and the JSA are being hinted at coming around, too, I'd be so happy if for some random (and lucky) reason I got to see this Poly and Wildcat together for a mission.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-17-2019 at 03:34 PM.

One thing at times I don't like is how at times writers make her look weak. I get why we had to see Grail win but Hippoltya didn't seem to be a leader.

I don't know that I can point to a specific version. I like her as a very good, very strong, very moral leader. Her being a little overprotective of Diana is cool - I can be down with disguise a necessary for Diana competing (though I did like Rebirth, where she didn't like it, and offered Diana an out, but let her compete, knowing how it would end). Her putting Artemis' head on the chopping block or being unable to lead a battle or win a fight is not my style.

I'm not a fan of the idea of her in the JSA, though I've never read the stories. I don't like her as a fill-in Diana.

I often wondered due to her being Queen should she be stronger than her daughter? We don't often see her fighting with Diana

I dislike DC seems to be making Hippolyta into a lair more and more

Sneaky, cheating, lying, prying Hippolyta is almost always blonde, which is why I'm glad Empress Hippolyta was created so writers can play with those negative traits without sullying the leader of the Amazon nation. That's not to say raven haired Hippolyta can't be flawed, but the sleeping with Zeus thereby endangering her subjects due to Hera's wrath, the brainwashing and misandry should be beneath her.

I loved her as the Golden Age Wonder Woman but her best stories are her death in the Jimenez run, helping Diana in Tartarus in Challenge of the Gods and Circe's magic convincing her she was an average housewife. She's a great character and doesn't appear enough.

So far Wilson made her look weak and Earth One made her look abusive.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So far Wilson made her look weak and Earth One made her look abusive.
    Yeah, but Wilson makes everyone other than her pet characters look weak, including Wondy and Steve.

Polly is important. She should be flawed. But New 52 and other parts of rebirth is distasteful

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Polly is important. She should be flawed. But New 52 and other parts of rebirth is distasteful
    What is distasteful about Hippolyta in the Rebirth continuity?

I think Rucka presented her very well, and so did Wilson with her personality (her being outpowered by Grail comes from plot reasons, so I'm willing to forgive that). Did Robinson make a hash of Hippolyta as well? And as much as I wasn't a fan of Orlando's Dimension Chi storyline, I think his "real" Hippolyta was decent. Maybe not the direction I wanted the character to be depicted long-term, but fitting for the storyline and the circumstances.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Sorry that was supposed to be a question. When you read the comics what should be Hippolyta’s flaws. Both as mother and a leader?

Flaws might put it too strong, I think it's better to think of it as personality traits that sometimes are good and sometimes bad, but here goes.

She loves and wants to protect Diana. She shouldn't be over-protective at all times, but there should be a hint of it, enough that other parents can recognise it.

Lack of trust in men in general, and a tendency to not see them as peers. Lets make her the opposite of too many men here: in that she simply disregards most things a man says in social settings, until it is brought up by a woman. (I still think she'd be an excellent listener, and could give excellent advice to any man who asked her for it, but if a man asks her to do something, it simply doesn't register.)

I also think she should be very passionate and emotional, but have trouble expressing it as a queen.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Hmmm... I need to think about this some more, but I think some realistic flaws for Hippolyta (within the fantasy world of Wonder Woman) that just popped into my mind (without thinking about them too much) are:

Hubris (Always an excellent Greek theme to explore.)

Patronization (Patronizing other societies, cultures, countries, and groups, based on the successes of Amazon culture. They know the answer to the questions other cultures are struggling with.)

Overprotectiveness (For her daughter[s] and her people.)

Fearlessness (The Amazons are a strong and healthy people, who have lived in paradise for millennia. It's not that they haven't had to work and toil for things and their civilization, but they're living in an environment that helps them to be incredibly successful at whatever they want to do. They're living a natural microcosm version of a macro-system of Earth, that somehow exists. They have their memories of strife and enslavement and misogyny, but haven't had to deal with wars, strife, natural disasters, etc. for a long, long time.)

Boredom (Hippolyta is a warrior and a leader. She misses some of the action of the former. [I've jotted down ideas for a Hippolyta in Patriarch's World storyline where she visits Diana and takes on a secret identity all her own.] Some of this was played around with in the Byrne run and by later writers when Hippolyta became Wonder Woman.)

That's just off the top of my head... and I don't see Hippolyta as any of these things to an extreme degree. I'd portray them in subtle and sophisticated ways that blend with the warm, loving, compassionate, queenly (in the best sense of the word) heart and brain and spirit she possesses.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 09-22-2019 at 10:08 AM.

One thing it's never clear. How strong is Hippolyta and how strong should her griddle make her?