Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Gayest movies that are'nt actually about being gay...

In an ONJ biography I flicked through, her film Xanadu was described as being "the gayest movie that's not actually about being gay".

A close runner up would have to be The Little Mermaid. Songwriter Howard Ashman and Triton animator Andreas Deja were openly gay. Ursula is based on Divine and Triton flashes a rainbow beam at the end. I saw a rerelease of it in the late 90's and a campy bunch of guys , presumably from a nearby gay district, were laughing and cheering at Ursula's antics. Ariel seems to be popular at Thai ladyboy shows as well. They must identify with her desire to "change"...

Freddy's revenge - HUGE homoerotism.

Ever see that 50's bad boy movie they mocked on Mystery Science Theatre 3000? It was a cheap production about two young men who were scouting the bars and alleyways looking for "trouble'...

OTHERS?

Commando.

Oh, and obviously in the same vein, Top Gun is immensely gay; even in its name.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 09-18-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Top Gun. .
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Top Gun is so Gay Tarantino wrote an essay about it.

Rocky 3. Not all of it, though there was a lot of sexual domination implied with Crusher. But this scene....

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

By the standard of XANADU, shouldn't THE WIZARD OF OZ be considered a gay movie, in that it has many positivie values that the LGBTQ community have embraced? I mean going over the rainbow, from a dull black & white repressive world into a world of colours and fantastic possibilities.

When I finally got around to watching FOOTLOOSE, the original Kevin Bacon movie, I was surprised by it not being anything like what I thought it would be. There's very little dancing in the movie (the big dance scene is right at the very end); the romance between the male lead and the female lead lacks any passion and there's no chemistry between Bacon and Lori Singer; the real chemistry is between Bacon and Chris Penn; their characters love each other but can't express that love in a town that is so repressive. If I was going to remake FOOTLOOSE, I would have a lot more dancing; it would be about those two male characters who really want to dance with each other and find no passion with the women they're supposed to date; and the town is so homophobic and repressed that they have to go outside town to a bar that will let them dance together.

Astonishing Member

X-Men, Frozen, Passion of Christ, Rocky IV, Thelma and Louise, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    X-Men, Frozen, Passion of Christ, Rocky IV, Thelma and Louise, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    1. All. That. Leather
    2. Yeah, it's there
    3. Beyond a shadow of a doubt
    4. So Butch but yeah it's everywhere.
    5. Suffering Sappho!!!
    6. That's quite a mustache you desperate outlaw.

Fright Night

There's actually always been a question whether the gay themes in Nightmare on Elm Street 2 were intentional or not. I tend to believe they were wholly intentional. Just too many examples.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-18-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ben-Hur, 1959. Heston always denied it, but Stephen Boyd and Director William Wyler played the relationship of Ben-Hur and Mesala with gay overtones.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Gundam Wing. Not a movie, but still.

Retired

Classic movies had to be very careful about any suggestion of other than vanilla sexuality, so a lot of it is in the subtext. I remember watching WORDS AND MUSIC (1948) when I was really young. This is the bio-pic about Rogers and Hart, but it never said anything about Lorenz Hart being gay. I just remember in the movie that he seemed to be obsessed with shoes--in an ominous manner that hinted at some dark secret about the man. That told me that society looks down on men who show any interest in shoes--so I've always been careful when I go by a shoe store, not to exhibit any excitement, for fear of becoming a social pariah.

There's also the weird man on man sexuality in SPARTACUS (1960). And in Douglas Sirk movies, starring Rock Hudson, they hinted at Rock's sexuality in an allegorical way. Rock's character invariably finds the companionship of an older woman in the Sirk movies--a maternal protector who keeps his secrets.

It makes sense for old Hollywood to tip-toe around LGBTQ content, given the repression of the time, but that's more confounding in contemporary movies. I haven't seen BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, but I understand that it tries to rewrite Freddie Mercury's life story, in the interest of not upsetting the surviving members of Queen.

Mighty Member

Sailor Moon R : the movie

Tuxedo mask forms a relationship with a feminine alien boy . They give each other flowers and act a bit flowery...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

It makes sense for old Hollywood to tip-toe around LGBTQ content, given the repression of the time, but that's more confounding in contemporary movies. I haven't seen BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, but I understand that it tries to rewrite Freddie Mercury's life story, in the interest of not upsetting the surviving members of Queen.
    They do not shy away from Mercury's bi-sexuality in the movie, and that he prefered men.