Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    X-Men, Frozen, Passion of Christ, Rocky IV, Thelma and Louise, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    How is Passion of the Christ gay?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Gay people identified themselves for YEARS as "Friends of Dorothy" in reference to The Wizard of Oz, enough so that the US Navy spent millions trying to track this supposed Dorothy down with the intention of leaning on her to give up all the gay servicemen she seemed to know.

And nowadays we are so far removed from that time that people honestly think that Don't Ask Don't Tell was always a repressive policy instead of actually being the major step towards leniency that it was at the time.
    Was Don't Ask Don't Tell a step toward leniency? I was an adult when that was implemented, and my perception was that while it sounded like progress on paper, it's implementation led to a crack down on gays in the military. I know a lesbian who was serving during that time who was investigated and discharged despite trying to stay closeted. She didn't tell but she was asked.

Retired

My knowledge about U.S. gays in the military comes from watching QUANTUM LEAP and JAG--but I think the way it was is, before "don't ask, don't tell," you could get drummed out if you confessed and the military was free to investigate and ask; "don't ask, don't tell" was supposed to protect gays in the military, but at the same time no one could admit to their sexuality. So while the policy was designed to protect gay people from harrassment, it actually put a chill on miltary people coming out.

When I was in the Canadian military, in the late '70s/early '80s, I don't think there was any law against being gay, but any gay person was in danger of being killed if that came out. Threats were constantly being made against people and guys were severely beat up if they were even suspected of being gay. It was a climate of fear.

At the time Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) was implemented, Congress was trying to codify the ban on gays serving in the armed forced into federal law - it was originally just a policy.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Was Don't Ask Don't Tell a step toward leniency?
    Yes, it was supposed to end systematic witch hunts. But it wasn't quite implemented that way by the military.

Fight Club, Frozen, Top Gun, the Wizard of Oz, the Lord of the Rings, Thelma and Louise, Midnight Cowboy, Ben-Hur, Strangers on a Train, When Marnie Was There, Rope, Singer's X-men movies (the Last Stand was definitely NOT about being gay).

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Freddy's revenge - HUGE homoerotism.
    So glad to see someone else mention it, it screamed gay metaphor when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Was Don't Ask Don't Tell a step toward leniency? I was an adult when that was implemented, and my perception was that while it sounded like progress on paper, it's implementation led to a crack down on gays in the military.
    For the time period, it was progress. Very flawed and slow, but it was progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It makes sense for old Hollywood to tip-toe around LGBTQ content, given the repression of the time, but that's more confounding in contemporary movies. I haven't seen BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, but I understand that it tries to rewrite Freddie Mercury's life story, in the interest of not upsetting the surviving members of Queen.
    Ding ding ding ding.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-20-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

How is Fight Club gay when, you know, Tylrer Durden?

And how is showing Freddy Mercury Gay and having AIDS whitewashing? Did they need explicit gay sex scenes to qualify. The movie was about the music.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

And how is showing Freddy Mercury Gay and having AIDS whitewashing? Did they need explicit gay sex scenes to qualify. The movie was about the music.
    They got a lot of aspects of that wrong like Queen's 1st Album wasn't a hit and them "breaking up" had nothing to do with Freddy they agreed on a six month break and during which Freddy did a solo album that in the film was treated as a betrayal.

I was reading a review and someone mentioned how many homosexual tones are all over Interview With a Vampire has. After reading that review and watching the movie again, I could totally see it.

I have this nagging feeling that Seth was gay in Superbad, or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    They got a lot of aspects of that wrong like Queen's 1st Album wasn't a hit and them "breaking up" had nothing to do with Freddy they agreed on a six month break and during which Freddy did a solo album that in the film was treated as a betrayal.
    Not saying the movie was completely accurate, just saying they didn"t shy away from Freddy's sexuality.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I was reading a review and someone mentioned how many homosexual tones are all over Interview With a Vampire has. After reading that review and watching the movie again, I could totally see it.

I have this nagging feeling that Seth was gay in Superbad, or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
    Isn’t people thinking that film was called “Interview with a vampire” another of those stupid Mandela Effect conspiracies?

BANNED

A lot of old Hollywood movies have...queer sensibilities? I don’t know, all that camp, glamour, opulence etc.

These are all gay classics without any explicit gay characters:

Auntie Mame (1958)
    Boom! (1968)
    Morocco (1930)
    Queen Christina (1933)
    All About Eve (1950)
    Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962)
    Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf (1966)
    Valley of the Dolls (1967)
    Funny Face (1957)
    All that Heaven Allows (1955)
    Mildred Pierce (1945)
    Some Like It Hot (1959)
    Of Human Bondage (1934)
    Bringing Up Baby (1938)
    Sunset Boulevard (1950)

I could go on and on...

The film is hugely homoerotic, his "hatred" of Angel for Tyler giving him attention (beating Angle was beating his gay feelings away), the fact he's constantly imagining this guy naked, having sex and putting his dick in movies...

When China and Russia are able to edit out all "gayness" from a film about one of the most iconic gay men in history... by cutting... less than 5 minutes, then it's fair to say there's a bit of a problem here.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    The film is hugely homoerotic, his "hatred" of Angel for Tyler giving him attention (beating Angle was beating his gay feelings away), the fact he's constantly imagining this guy naked, having sex and putting his dick in movies...

When China and Russia are able to edit out all "gayness" from a film about one of the most iconic gay men in history... by cutting... less than 5 minutes, then it's fair to say there's a bit of a problem here.
    Fight Club, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. BR, as I said, they did not shy away from his being gay, they movie was about Queen an their music. Sorry if you wanted a movie about Freddy being Gay, but that is not what they focused on. But they didn't remove anything, as was claimed. It did not "rewrite his life story" Anymore than most biopics do. Truthfully you could edit out a few minutes of "Behind the Candelabra", but Liberaci would still be Gay.