Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Right, except not counting for real dollars is not the proper statistical approach. Not my opinion either, but fact. Now accounting for inflation is not the whole story, since the non-US market hasn't always been as large as it is now. Still it's better than what you proscribe.
    Except, we're not going by a statistical approach. I was just stating the fact that Aquaman is the highest grossing DC film to date. So, obviously, WB can have great success with their other properties, independent of Batman. We don't need Batman to be the center of the DC Cinematic Universe.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Except, we're not going by a statistical approach. I was just stating the fact that Aquaman is the highest grossing DC film to date. So, obviously, WB can have great success with their other properties, independent of Batman. We don't need Batman to be the center of the DC Cinematic Universe.
    Never said or even inferred that, Zee. It's quite obvious non-Bats films can not only be profitable but very successful to boot. I was just pointing out Aquaman isn't the highest-grossing DC film when taking into account inflation, that's all.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Of course people are hankering for a modern take, but that doesn't mean changing fundamental and core aspects of the character to suit that. Again, the MCU did not change Steve Rogers to make his movies beloved. Steve is very much the "dad" of the Marvel Universe, both in the comics and movies, just like Superman is the "dad" of the DC Universe in the comics. The only difference is that DC, from time to time, feels they need to strip Superman of that position, his age, his personality and make him angsty to make him relevant. That is a mistake.
    Indeed, the extremely dad-like Superman of Kingdom Come was one of the best received. Likewise in New Frontier.

Never said or even inferred that, Zee. It's quite obvious non-Bats films can not only be profitable but very successful to boot. I was just pointing out Aquaman isn't the highest-grossing DC film when taking into account inflation, that's all.
    Aquaman making a billion is a bigger deal than Batman who has a bigger fanbase and recognition. It just goes to show what a good movie can do for a character.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Aquaman making a billion is a bigger deal than Batman who has a bigger fanbase and recognition. It just goes to show what a good movie can do for a character.
    I agree, especially one unfairly besmirched like Aquaman had been in this century before the flick.

Ultimate Member

To be fair-Aquaman has a LOT more fans who don't buy comics (in floppy form). He just proved that you don't have to rely on Batman for everything and it's okay to invest in others.

That is not saying DUMP Batman but if you can use others while look for the right formula for a better Batman movie. You do it. You can now take your time versus tossing mess out there.

I think the better question is do people that buy comic books only care about Batman. DC publishes many other comic books not related to Batman. Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Flash.
    Yet Batman books consistently outsell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think the better question is do people that buy comic books only care about Batman. DC publishes many other comic books not related to Batman. Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Flash.
    That's indeed the real question, O-R, and transcends creative and marketing help Bats supposedly gets.

This says it all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That's indeed the real question, O-R, and transcends creative and marketing help Bats supposedly gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This says it all.

+1 10 characters

Yes.

I love Batman, and I have my own ideas of what this company can be doing with the character that would just add to the already overabundance but this isn't the Batman company this is DC, and I don't think half (or even a little less than half) of the books should be dedicated to one character and their brand.

Which btw fans have lamented about this and talked about this subject so many times especially on twitter and I've seen creators snarky little comments about "why should a company stop doing what makes them money" blah blah blah as if fans are not allowed to be upset or something.

And like. I get making money, who wants to disturb that, but at some point a good company should use that money to help build up other brands in their catalogue so they can get double that money or even triple that.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 10-12-2019 at 07:18 PM.

BANNED

When I was a child, my dad owned a food distribution company that specialized primarily in smoothies and juice. The two most popular products were the protein smoothie and orange juice. I can't remember which was more popular. I think the protein was more expensive. I'm pretty sure. I remember I asked my mom once...

Me: How come there is so much protein? I like blueberry. How come I hardly ever see it around?

My mom: The blueberry doesn't sell that well. The protein sells much better.

Me: Why is that? The protein is disgusting.

My mom: People buy it for more than just the taste.

-----

The same thing applies to Batman. His products sell so they make a lot of it. Blame the market for that. That's what they want. You might want more blueberry but that crap doesn't sell.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-11-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    When I was a child, my dad owned a food distribution company that specialized primarily in smoothies and juice. The two most popular products were the protein smoothie and orange juice. I can't remember which was more popular. I think the protein was more expensive. I'm pretty sure. I remember I asked my mom once...

Me: How come there is so much protein? I like blueberry. How come I hardly ever see it around?

My mom: The blueberry doesn't sell that well. The protein sells much better.

Me: Why is that? The protein is disgusting.

My mom: People buy it for more than just the taste.

-----

The same thing applies to Batman. His products sell so they make a lot of it. Blame the market for that. That's what they want. You might want more blueberry but that crap doesn't sell.
    Ultimately this is the bottom line, but it's not entirely the fault of the direct market. DC also likes to establish that Bruce is superior to just about everyone and do not promote their other properties nearly as much. Using your model, imagine that the protein option was professionally photographed and in a lot of the promotional material around the store, but blueberry was taken on someone's Nokia flip phone in a room lit by one flickering desk lamp. DC is as much to blame for sabotaging their line as the consumers are for not responding to any other product; one is deliberately built to be better at the other's expense. The onus is ultimately on DC to better build their brands because eventually Bruce won't be able to sustain all of DC's publishing line. I'm surprised he still is considering one the hottest topics in media is the wealth disparity in the world and Bruce is a heterosexual white American man who is in the top of the 1%. That bubble can burst. DC isn't ready for that and doesn't seem to care.

BvS and JL 's failure is proof enough that Batman isn't enough to sell a product.

It's why I admire the MCU because they know how to build IPs and makes them profitable and profitable. They don't just rely on 1 or 2 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Yes.

I love Batman, and I have my own ideas of what this company can be doing with the character that would just add to the already overabundance but this isn't the Batman company this is DC, and I don't think half (or even a little less than half) of the books should be dedicated to one character and their brand.

Which btw fans have lamented about this and talked about this subject so many times especially on twitter and I've seen creators snarky little comments about "why should a company stop doing what makes them money" blah blah blah as if fans are not allowed to be upset or something.

And like. I get making money, who wants to disturb that, but at some point a good company should use that money to help build up other brands in their catalogue so they can get double that money or even triple that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Ultimately this is the bottom line, but it's not entirely the fault of the direct market. DC also likes to establish that Bruce is superior to just about everyone and do not promote their other properties nearly as much. Using your model, imagine that the protein option was professionally photographed and in a lot of the promotional material around the store, but blueberry was taken on someone's Nokia flip phone in a room lit by one flickering desk lamp. DC is as much to blame for sabotaging their line as the consumers are for not responding to any other product; one is deliberately built to be better at the other's expense. The onus is ultimately on DC to better build their brands because eventually Bruce won't be able to sustain all of DC's publishing line. I'm surprised he still is considering one the hottest topics in media is the wealth disparity in the world and Bruce is a heterosexual white American man who is in the top of the 1%. That bubble can burst. DC isn't ready for that and doesn't seem to care.
    BvS and JL 's failure is proof enough that Batman isn't enough to sell a product.

It's why I admire the MCU because they know how to build IPs and makes them profitable and profitable. They don't just rely on 1 or 2 chars.
    So say DC lost the rights to Batman for some reason or another and could no longer publish Batman. Would the other DC characters be any better off? Would Superman, Flash. Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern sell
    enough to make up the difference? Say no one could publish Batman anymore. No longer having Batman, would the people who previously bought Batman start buying these other characters.