Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My thoughts as well.

I'd honestly prefer Diana with Bruce or Clark or maybe a new female love interest because Steve is, IMO, such a boring non-entity. Sorry but this is how I feel. Unlike Lois or Selina, I would shed no tears if Steve suddenly disappeared one day.
    I think I've said this once before, but you and I have such similar tastes! WonderBat all the way!

due to how Perez did just read him out. So that’s way most people aren’t accept Steve . Why should they when Diana didn’t have a love interest at all. If Dc did find people to make Steve interesting it would make him better. Wilson makes him useless

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I didn’t say that. When I said media has been pushing Lois and Clark as a couple, I also meant the comics as well. I also never claimed the comic writers didn’t like the pairing or that people don’t like it either. Lois and Clark were married for 15 years in real time while Diana and Steve spent decades not being a couple.

Barry and Arthur have been written as having other love interests than Iris and Mera and those two were not written as being the first women they ever met.

Diana has been written as explicitly or covertly having an interest in women. The most recent example being Rucka’s run.

Who said anything about her needing to be in a same sex relationship to prove she’s a warrior? Her being attracted to women has nothing to do with her fighting skills.
    Unfortunately that's the implication. I have no problem with bi or lesbian super-heroines except for Diana because it's such an enormous cliché.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I think I've said this once before, but you and I have such similar tastes! WonderBat all the way!
    So it would appear lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Unfortunately that's the implication. I have no problem with bi or lesbian super-heroines except for Diana because it's such an enormous cliché.
    A valid point, given Diana's backstory and character.

Fantastic Member

They should develop Steve more!! Do with him what they did with Lois! WW and Steve should be vested in each other in everyway! I'd much rather see Steve as WW love interest than Batman or a female love interest!!

I don't think it's that much of a cliche. Especially when it comes to superhero comics. Any argument for Diana being gay or bisexual being a cliche would apply to plenty of superheroines as well. And the Amazons have been coded or written as LGBT for decades anyway.

Mighty Member

I don't see why she should have one love interest. They should just write whatever they want and we can see what sticks and what doesn't. I'm not big on Steve but I'm also not big on Lois either and feels she dominates Superman stories way too much in the ones that I have read.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-20-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I don't see why she should have one love interest. They should just write whatever they want and we can see what sticks and what doesn't. I'm not big on Steve but I'm also not big on Lois either and feels she dominates Superman stories way too much in the ones that I have read.
    I honestly agree with you. I'd like to see some experimentation with love interests of the Trinity. Pair each member with different people heck maybe even each other and let the fans decide by voting with their wallets. It is certainly a worthy endeavor, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think it's that much of a cliche. Especially when it comes to superhero comics. Any argument for Diana being gay or bisexual being a cliche would apply to plenty of superheroines as well. And the Amazons have been coded or written as LGBT for decades anyway.
    I don't want to re-litigate this again, we've already talked about it on numerous threads. People make assumptions that because she comes from an all female island of warriors everyone on it has to be gay and that notion doesn't sit well with me.

Fantastic Member

I don't want to re-litigate this again, we've already talked about it on numerous threads. People make assumptions that because she comes from an all female island of warriors everyone on it has to be gay and that notion doesn't sit well with me.
    I agree with you!!

All-New Member

Coming as someone who genuinely enjoys Diana/Steve (or at least the potential of this pairing that writers never seem to manage to live up to):

I think there's definitely a bit of double standards there, as someone pointed out, that while most writers are fine with Superman being strong and saving the Damsel in Distress that is Lois Lane, a lot of sexist double standards rear their ugly heads when the genders are reversed. Because long before Lois and Clark got the development that made them comic books' premier couple, they and Steve/Diana were basically in the same boat.

I also think Diana/Steve tend to be unpopular because most writers and fans believe that an all-powerful costumed superhero with superpowers like her should be dating someone who is also an all-powerful costumed superhero with superpowers, hence the popular trend of shipping her off to either Superman or Batman (Batman technically doesn't have any superpowers, but he's written as such a perfectly flawless character capable of taking on aliens and gods on his own that he exists on a whole different level). Steve isn't any of that. He's just a regular guy. And unlike Lois Lane, who despite her human fallibility, actually has a leg up over Clark in that she's a better reporter than him, Steve's only skill is military stuff, and in that regard Diana has him beat. So to most people, he's just "boring" and "doesn't deserve" her.

There's also the fact that people apparently don't like it that Diana ends up with the first man she's ever met, preferring that she get to "sample" a few different men first. I personally disagree, but if I were to type out all the reasons why that reasoning is wrong and superficial, we'd be here all day.

I just go for the third option and ship Diana with Artemis.

Since her very beginning Diana has loved Steve, it's not as if love at first sight doesn't exist and is completely implausible. It even makes sense that she'd fall in love with the first man she ever rescued. If you'd been around cheeseburgers all your life and suddenly got ice cream as good as cheeseburgers are you'd prefer the ice cream because it's something different. Add to that the forbidden fruit aspect of her upbringing that eschewed men and Steve introducing her to her a whole new world and it all makes total sense.

Well, Steve's being irrelevant for 25 years didn't help the character's stature.

Of course, the real question is more like what drove the creators to make him irrelevant in the first place. I guess back then, swapping gender roles wasn't perceived to be received as well by audiences. Syndicated reruns of the Lynda Carter show aside, I grew up without Steve, so I only like him if the story is good (e.g. the Gal Gadot movie). If he's not there, oh well. Recent years were as good as any to bring him back.

EDIT: I just remembered that short bit from Batman The Brave and the Bold when Steve debuted and Batman sort of disgusted said, "What does she see in that guy?" or something like that. I took it as a meta comment that the writers thought Steve sucked, and maybe for a lot of reasons a lot of other writers felt that same and weren't compelled to write him any better.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 09-26-2019 at 02:56 PM.